SASS Wire Forum

Charcoal Blue finish on Uberti Cattleman

Crash

Has anyone had any experience with the charcoal blue finish on the Ubertis. I have heard that the finish does not hold up well. Considering buying a pair before the end of the year.

Crash

Well Crash I haven't heard anything about the finish in a number of years but I do know that several years ago the finish, although beautiful was fragile. I don't knnow if Uberti has or hasn't changed the formula of applying the finish to the guns. If they haven't the finish will show holster wear faster. But all the blue finish will. The only way to slow down the wear that I'm aware of is to apply a good car wax such as McGuires or Mothers to the guns.

Yes it will wear more quickly than the regular blue. On a Cattleman it will wear the quickest on the gripframe from handling. I have a pair of charcoal blue '51 conversions that have held up quite well for nearly ten years. But those have brass gripframes. I also have two charcoal blue carbines, and those also hold up well because they aren't handled by the barrels that much. The blue wears quickly on the lever and buttplate on those. I love that finish and would not hesitate to buy more.

Howdy

Yeah, I had one a number of years ago. Beautiful to look at, but within a year all the blue was gone off the backstrap from the sweat on my hand. The backstrap had turned a nice battleship gray.

Will the finish hold up to cleaning solvents ,such as Hoppes or others.

Crash

Archived