SASS Wire Forum

Brass Shotgun Shells

hambone

Hello the camp; I have recently come into a box of 12 gauge brass shotgun shells. I,m having trouble finding info on loading these with black powder. If anyone has any experience with these or has a load recipe they would share it would be most appreciated.

Thanks; Hambone

If you can't post load recipes on here you can reach me at dbarnett@idealconst.com

You'll need 11ga. wads, over powder or "nitro" cards, and over shot cards as well as Black Powder and shot. Pick a load that you have a powder and shot measure for.

You'll also need a way to seat primers in the shells. There are several ways to do this. i have a tool that seats them and there's a die set by RCBS that you can use in several different presses.

Install your primer. Measure your powder into the shell. Place your over powder card firmly down over the powder. Place the wad into the shell and press it down firmly against the over powder card. measure the shot into the shell and check your height inside the shell. If you need more wadding, dump out the shot and adjust your wad height, then remeasure your shot into the shell, place the over shot card on top of the shot and using Duro clear cement or sodium scilicate, glue the over shot card in place and let dry.

I do 12ga and 10ga. shells and have had nice results with both. There's a youtube video that illustrates all of this and you can stop and start and rewind it 'til you get it all figured out. I recommend the RCBS die set. It has a re-sizeing die that is good for when your shells expand and won't dump out easily.

Have fun!!

All that I shoot is CBC Brass shells in my 16's & 12 ga.. I reload both BP & Smokless.

I am in the process of developing 410 loads in Brass shells for my new Bond Derringer 45/410. The load is #4 buck with Winchester 296 powder.

Have Fun !

MEC makes a 12 ga brass shell adaptor kit for the MEC 600 Jr. it is not in the catalog or web site. Just call and ask them about the product. With this you can decap the brass shells and seat primers. For resizing the base I use the Mec Super-Sizer 12 ga. The base is what need to be resized so the nitro card is tight over the powder. I do not full length resize the brass hulls. RCBS makes a 12 ga shell holder, I use my Rock Chucker for the primer seating operation.

Case Preperation is very important before you attempt loading the new shells. CBC is very sloppy with the QC and the primer flash holes are not consistant is size of the hole or size of the pocket. I also size the bases of new shells before reloading. I have had some shells with primer pockets so tight that upon seating the primer is crushed in the hole and deformed. Some flash holes are drilled off-center.

Buffalo Arms has the best brass shot guns dies & shell shell holders for all gauges.

Hambone,

Part of the answer depends on what brand / type of brass shells do you have?

There have been a few different types made over the years.:

*57 shotgun primers, Alcan

Berdan, old Magtech/CBC,

Lg pistol, new Magtech/CBC

Lefty Dude has a lot of good info for you if you have CBC & gives you things to look for in other shells.

Thanks for the info guys. I already have the RCBS dies and a press that it will fit. I have nitro cards for overpowder and wads that measure about 1/4 inch, so I guess my next question would be, do I just insert the wads until I stack up enough of them to bring me up to the top of case. Along with the shot load of course. Again thanks; Hambone

Hambone;

I use one nitro card over a charge of 3F BP (Goex) a 1/2" Circlefly cushion wad and then a short red Winchester plastic shot wad. Do not compress the plastic shot wad. This should bring you approx. 1/8" from the mouth rim of the CBC Brass hull. Then I fill the cup with 1 oz. of shot, size is your choice. On top of the shot is placed a overshot card. Seal with your choice of sealents. I prefer Elmer General purpose Glue. Your choice may vary, as to each his own.

Note: you must use some compression on the nitro card. For Smokless loading I use two nitro cards, tightly compressed. For compression I use a 3/4" wooden dowell rod and give the dowell a couple of quick taps with my plastic mallet on the nitro card.

For installation of the cards & wads a 3/4" wooden dowell will be your best friend. ;)

I have new found respect for black powder shooters. That is a lot of work to load one shell. The way Kid Nama and I go through shotgun shells I would not have time to load shells for our pistols and rifles.

If you ever need some, Stoney, I'll load 'em for ya! :D

so do you guys use Magnum large pistol primers or just regular large pistol primers in brass shotgun shells that require pistol primers?

My standard Brass SG shell primer is CCI LP mag primers. I use for both BP & Smokless. The CCI's have a greater spark than all other pistol primers, IMHO. For Smokless loadings you need all the spark you can get.

For the 410's I use Winchester LPP's.

You do not have to load wads until the wad column is to the top of the brass. The beauty of using the brass shells is when you have the powder, nitro card, a cushion wad, shot and overshot card, all you have to do is run a sealant (water glass, Elmers glue, hot glue etc) around the card to hold it in place and you are good to go. You can add shot cups, extra wads etc but to no real benefit.

Unless you are shooting magnum loads with smokeless you generally do not have to size the shells either.

Archived