SASS Wire Forum

best way to kill a wasp nest above water

Trigger Mike

Piece of C4 on a machete. Light it and hold it under the nest.

Or get a wasp trap and hang it there.

a torch at night

That is one way. The key point is "night," because they will be in the nest and very docile and quiet as the sun goes down. It does not have to be "night," exactly. Dusk, just before it gets full dark or morning dawn just prior to sunup is the best time. So, do your dirty work when it's just barely light.

You could start a fire next to the pond, snap the thing off and immediately put it in the fire. Be sure to destroy the whole thing, because if you don't the ones that are pupae will transition to adults a few days later and continue to use what's left of the nest.

In clearing them while setting up deerstands, my dad and I found a 12 gauge with #8 shot to one heck of a flyswatter! It works VERY well.

I hated to shoot lead into my pond, but 12 gauge was my first thought. I like the torch idea. I had thought of starting a fire at the base of the bush but a torch sounds more effective. forcing them into fish food also sounds good if I used my long pole saw.

Be sure to have someone with a video camera - film the entire sequence - you could end up on "America's Funniest Videos".

- BB

my Dad would tape a kerosene soaked corn cob to a hoe handle, wait till dark and light it and hold it under the nest. The nest will burn brightly once it catches

A quarter stick of dynamite would be fun..... :)

No. Seriously, the quoted technique is the one my Grandpa showed me on the farm, and it has served me well over the years. We would do it at dusk right before dark

unfortunately my corn did poorly this year and the ear I picked yesterday was only 2 inches long with 6 kernels on it. We had rain so I planted late, then a drought, then daily rain after it was late in the season. I'll try it anyway.

A rolled up Cowboy Chronicle would work................

I get the electronic version. I'd have to throw the laptop at it.

I just spotterd one of those tarantula killer wasps dragging a spider up the road.

I inadvertently ran over both of them with the 4wheeler. ;)

A torch at night. A pear burner would probably work well too. Just duct tape it to the longest pole you have.

or you can call my ex wife at 5551212. If you can talk her into hitting them with a baseball bat, I'll pay to watch.........

Here's a thought .............

Make sure it's dusk as noted in my previous reply, because the varmints are ALL at home and docile.

If you want to go the torch route, duct tape (what else?) a propane torch to the business end of a square-point shovel, with the business end of the torch 90 degrees to the shovel blade. Then, hold that out there with the torch going full blast. You might use up a bottle of gas, but the flame won't go out because the bottle is upright. Plus,it's hot. The nest might fall into the pond, but you should recover it and destroy it completely.

Another successful method I have used is to put some diesel fuel (mineral spirits should work just as well) in a Hudson sprayer (a pump-up garden sprayer) and saturate the nest with the mineral spirits. Kills them right now.

Also, if you have access to an exterminator's atomizer, you can go to the hardware store and buy 99% pure boric acid powder, usually sold under the trade name, "Roach Pruf," or some similar name. Make sure you get the 99% stuff. They used to sell it in a yellow plastic squeeze bottle that looks like a mustard dispenser. You could just use the squeeze bottle, but the atomizer is more efficient. The boric acid powder is not a poison, per se, but it gets on the pest and will immediately begin dehydrating and incapacitating them, then they die pretty quick. Works for ants real well too, especially in cracks and crevasses and just about any insect. Dust it all over the nest. I don't think it will harm your fish. I know it works on wasps ... stops them quick ..., 'cuz I bought one of the atomizers and wiped out several nests one year when we were inundated with wasps.

I imagine that you DO KNOW they sell those spray cans of wasp killer that will shoot out a poison foam spray about 15 feet or so. Nasty stuff. It's basically a foam, oil based carrier with insecticide in it. I don't think you want to get that in your pond. Bad ju ju for the fish.

Call my exwife, she can nag them to death

I'll call your ex-wife and raise you an ex-wife. :P

I hated to shoot lead into my pond, but 12 gauge was my first thought. I like the torch idea. I had thought of starting a fire at the base of the bush but a torch sounds more effective. forcing them into fish food also sounds good if I used my long pole saw.

In that case & frame of mind.... do nothing!!!

Yep,,, nothing is an option.

Two options:

1. Wait until it is good and dark to set up a Tannarite target in the bush. Wait til sunrise and shoot it from about 100 yards out with a .223 or such. Kablooey!

[videotaping is required]

2. If the nest is supported by one small limb, I would likely try a .22LR rifle from a distance so that the rounds impacted the limb and then the pond bank.

Unless you're wanting to fish close to the bush why not just leave 'em be? If not a can of wasp and hornet killer can take 'em out with a short burst. Shouldn't be enough to hurt the pond.

JHC

In that case & frame of mind.... do nothing!!!

Yep,,, nothing is an option.

I had planned on doing nothing but I have 4 children and one of them came inside screaming and crying as he got stung twice. Upon questioning how that happened he first said he was not doing anything to them, later he admitted he had been shooting at the nest with a B B gun. I applied some evil pipe tobacco to the sting that I keep on hand for such occasions and decided I better do something or another one might do something silly and get stung.

I was going to do it tonight but I came upon a rattle snake while cutting on my tractor and took the kids back to where he was so they could se how hard it is to see them and how to pay attention and to show them why they need to stay out of tall grass and to be careful in the woods. I kept the rattle and let them hear how soft it sounds compared to the movies. Hopefully they get it now. I need a better tractor gun the 22 semi auto did not hit it every time from on top of a tractor.

I work maintenance for a school. One day in early winter a student walks in the front door with a wasp nest on a branch . Why this didn't set off bells and whistles in my mind I still don't know. Well the steam heat in the building was quite comforting to those critters and they decided to come out and enjoy the warmth. Panicked call to me (of course now it's my problem) and a trip to fifth grade. They had hung it from the suspended ceiling and one wasp had already slowly crawled from the nest and 20 some agitated fifth graders making quite the scene. One 60 gallon trash bag wrapped up tight around the nest, snipped the branch and out to the dumpster.

Whatever you do, make it immediately lethal and complete.

'Cause if any of them suckers survive your initial strike, they're gonna be pi$$ed and looking for vengeance, with blood in they beady little eyes!

Do not ask me how I found this out!

Take a big stick. Wade into the pond. Whack the nest.

Nest goes in the water, wasps go in the water. You're in the water.

Fairwell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies..... :lol: :lol:

As a new homeowner, I found a huge wasps nest under the garage eves. I got the recommended 20' wasp spray and waited till high noon to attack the vermin. It was great to see 'em crawl out of their nest and fall motionless to the concrete. Then one of the bastards hooked a left and came straight for me. Aaarrrggghhh!!! Screaming like a little girl, I triggered a desperate burst of the wasp spray -- and dang it if I didn't nail the kamikaze midair! He spiraled to the ground, moaning like a Hollywood war movie, and crashed and burned at my feet.

I felt like Tail-Gunner Joe... :D

Archived