SASS Wire Forum

KAHR MOVING

Molon Labe!

Carpe Diem!

And goodbye!

Excellent - I wish Colt would leave CT and S&W would leave MA. Kahr's move from NY to PA might not actually be a very long distance, depending on where they were located in NY.

Wait - here it is:

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – A firearms manufacturer in New York, partially blaming the state’s new gun control law, said Wednesday it’s moving its corporate offices — and its plans for expansion — to Pennsylvania.

Kahr Firearms Group of Pearl River is the first gunmaker to announce it’s leaving because of the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act, which was put into law after closed-door negotiations in January. It was the first law in the nation prompted by the killing of 20 first-graders and six educators in Newtown, Conn., in December.

‘‘We’re looking for a more friendly environment for our business,’’ said Frank Harris, Kahr’s vice president for sales and marketing. ‘‘Maybe we could have stayed here and built a plant, but the way the bill was passed left us feeling there were a lot of uncertainties going forward.’’

‘‘Why take a chance when we can be in a state where they’re not looking to cause us any problems?’’ Harris added.

Calls to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office were not immediately returned.

Kahr is owned by Kook-Jin Justin Moon, a son of Unification Church founder Rev. Sun Myung Moon.

Harris said Pennsylvania’s enthusiasm also fueled the decision to leave New York.

He said Kahr has purchased 620 acres in Pike County, Pa., and will move its 10-person corporate staff next year after building offices.

Kahr also expects to build a new factory there — with 80 to 100 jobs — within five years. It currently has plants in Worcester, Mass., and Pillager, Minn., Harris said.

Kahr had been close to finalizing a deal for land in Orange County, N.Y., with room for expansion, until the gun control law was enacted, he said.

New York’s law expands a ban on military-style weapons, requires mental health professionals to report threats, limits magazines to seven bullets, taxes bullets and creates a registry. It’s been widely attacked by gun rights advocates.

‘‘We’re all for stopping criminals, but this act is not going to do that,’’ Harris said. ‘‘This will only hurt the responsible law-abiding citizens.’’

Referring to his company’s moving plans, he said, ‘‘The Safe Act has unintended consequences and this is one of them.’’

Okay, I checked, it's 70 or so miles from Pearl River, NY to Pike County, PA. It would be interesting to know how many people will move with the company.

That's the biggest issue, actually. This Kahr move is a corporate office move - that's easy, even if some folks don't make the move with their employer. Moving their plant from Worcester, MA will be much more difficult - exactly Smith & Wesson and Colt's problem. The skilled workers have to be interested in relocating; they're very hard to replace.

***Nubbins***

With modern manufacturing techniques of ISO-9000 certification (meaningful documentation of all processes, procurement control, quality assurance, documentation of training materials), CAD modeling, CNC equipment and a handful of dedicated skilled workers, any plant can relocate with or without the majority of workers and do so successfully. Skilled workers are required for final fitting of custom guns, but most guns are made on equipment that hold +/-.003" or less.

Catastrophes like the one that Marlin in experiencing are due to unending attempts to remind workers that the workplace is not a democracy and that management owns and runs the shop.

Kahr is not making Colt Pythons or Cooper rifles. These handguns are good quality, production-run guns that can easily be made if the company has done its job of making production portable. I would be glad to move out of NY if I worked at the Kahr plant.

Tom, have you heard that Ruger is building a huge plant in your state? Up north of Greenville somewhere, can't remember the name of the town.

My son-in-law has a Kahr .45ACP. Sweet shooting gun, other than the (to me) excessively long trigger pull.

Hey gunmakers....OHIO is about as gun friendly as you can get. We welcome ya and so would our Gov.

:) Rye

Tom, have you heard that Ruger is building a huge plant in your state? Up north of Greenville somewhere, can't remember the name of the town.

My son-in-law has a Kahr .45ACP. Sweet shooting gun, other than the (to me) excessively long trigger pull.

information...

Ruger is actually moving into an existing plant in Mayodan, which is north of Greensboro. NC has a lot of big empty plants scattered all over the state. Wish they would attract the rest of the industry. BTW, Remington has an office that is just east of the plant Ruger is moving into. They are about a mile apart.

iirc, Ruger expects to hire a couple of hundred or more, something that doesn't happen in today's economy very often.

Archived