SASS Wire Forum

SAA hammer locking back

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

At Sunday's match one of my revolver's hammers locked back and had to have the cylinder taken out before the hammer would release. Upon cleaning it today, the hammer locked back again when the grip frame was removed necessitating a complete disassembly . I noticed that the hammer will continue to travel to the rear past the lock up notch, which is when the hammer freezes. With out the grip frame there is additional play, but even with the frame attached there is still some play, a bit more than the other revolver, which has very little additional play. I was thinking that an adjustable hammer stop might solve the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tex

Is the main spring slipping out of the notch and binding up the hammer?

Actullay, there is much that is not conveyed in your description of what the problem is.

If there is something broken, I believe that Armi San Marco clones will accept original Colt's SAA parts.

If you have the skills, go ahead and dismantle the weapon. Make sure you use proper, gunsmiths's screw drivers, too. If you can't do properly dismantle and reassemble the weapon, take it to a qualified gunsmith

If you do have the skills and tools, make sure there are no broken parts. I would look for a broken sear and bolt spring, a damaged bolt and a mainspring that has been altered or replaced and is too short or long. Sometimes, loose screws will cause interenals to bind. Also, look at the hammer notches and the trigger sear to see that they are not chipped or snapped off. I agree that it is possible that whoever did the earlier work on your gun may have not been properly qualified and caused some damage. Hopefully not.

Archived