SASS Wire Forum

Longmire

The sun dance is a personal sacrifice made as an offering when asking the creator for protection of loved ones in harms way, physical healing of a sick family member or friend, or the protection of the whole tribe or nation. Walt is feeling a tremendous amount of guilt and responsibility about what has happened to Cady, his wife, and what may happen to Henry. Beyond the script reasons for choosing this ritual, it would make sense for Walt to choose a Lakota ceremony which involves pain to expiate one's sins.

you are correct

I have studied under a real life Lakota shaman for several years,, she has since passed on

into the spirit world.

I have even been a participant in a real vision quest. It is hollyweird, be it tv or the big screen that does not even

come close to showing what all goes into a Sundance. The sundance done

correctly is a week long process, not just putting eagle feathers, (which are

illegal to own by the way) into your chest and dancing around a pole. I have

watched a sundance as part of my vision quest, and this is 2013, no body piercing

was involved.

I think that the way it was done on the Longmire show, was demeaning to the real deal, that’s

all I am saying.

The average viewer would not understand at all.

this was my Lakota teacher

http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Wolf-Woman-Story-Medicine/dp/0967746108

she was writing this book during the period I was in her classes

she shared many ideals during classes about each chapter and its importance

For those interested, they are having "Longmire Days" in Buffalo Wyoming on August 16-18th. Most all of the actors in the show except Lou Diamond Phillips (he has another commitment) are supposed to be there doing all kinds of charity events such as golf, horseback riding, pancake breakfast, a VIP dinner etc. The Author is also going to be there signing autographs. Got this from my neice who lives there and works with the Chamber of Commerce. If I didn't live so far away, I would be there. Should be a great time for all fans.

WW

Too bad Las Vegas New Mexico, where Walt's office is located in the show, doesn't have Longmire Days also, I'm sure several of us would like to attend. Incidently, the firefighters that lost their lives in Arizona this year also protected Walt's cabin from a forest fire in the Villa Grande early this summer. Thanks guys. And yes the elk really do run around the cabin and road that Walt use to get to the office. No movie props there.

At least he was usen one of them their cilly-phones :lol:

Well tonight is the night. Will Longmire get an infection and have to get his pecs surgically removed tonight?

A little herb plaster, sewing needle and some Ranier is all he needed.

Archived