SASS Wire Forum

What gunbelt/holster set up are you using?

Lucky L

I prefer to buy stuff from people that support our game and ideally from local vendors. I'm very fortunate to shoot with Doc Noper a couple of times a month. His products are excellent quality and very functional also his turnaround time on custom rigs and shotgun belts is simply amazing.

One of the fellows in my home club recommended Paul Combest (Reddog Leather) in Kentucky. Several of us have ordered from him and I am very impressed with the function, quality and value. He has several "standard" rigs in his eBay store but he can customize your order as well.

http://stores.ebay.com/Reddog-Leather?_rdc=1

Howdy

Been using this Duke rig for about ten years now. Made by Dave Duclos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Driftwood_Johnson/holsters/DukeRig.jpg

Yes, it has a bit of age on it.

A few years ago I splurged on this Slim Jim holster for my New Model Number Three from El Paso. Very nice work. I had them make the loop so it would fit over my Duclos belt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Driftwood_Johnson/holsters/NewModel3inHolster.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Driftwood_Johnson/holsters/NewModel3andHolster.jpg

Liked it so much I ordered another one for my Russian.

The rigs suggested is all over the place for SASS. What style are you shooting? Do you want to go for speed? Or are you period correct? Unless you have watched a speed demon or two and watched a period correct shooter, you can't really make the choice.

Rod Kibler built my last one from my directions. Outstanding.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Leather/Holsters016.jpg

The rigs suggested is all over the place for SASS. What style are you shooting? Do you want to go for speed? Or are you period correct? Unless you have watched a speed demon or two and watched a period correct shooter, you can't really make the choice.

Rod Kibler built my last one from my directions. Outstanding.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Leather/Holsters016.jpg

Im leaning to a cross draw set up...so that would cover speed and period correct would it not?

Red Cent makes a valid point.

check out other stuff at a Cowboy match and see what is going on with all the leather options.

Do you want straight draw holsters or canted holsters. At what degree of cant do you prefer.

Do you want those holsters to hold the pistol tight, snug or just a leather looking container to drop your holsters down into.

Do you want the trigger guard covered, partially covered or fully exposed.

Do you want some high riding holsters, holsters with alittle drop or holsters with alot of drop.

Yep, there are alot of options out there and knowing more about them can save you about $400 from being satisfied.........or VERY HAPPY with your selection of style and color.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Got my gun issue squared away on what I'm going to get(except im still looking for a good place to buy a Uberti 1873)....Now trying to find a good gun belt manufactor. What set up are you guys/gals using...any recommendations on a good maker/brand?

I use gear from Alfonso's of Hollywood: https://picasaweb.google.com/115786146222945467962/CASMiscGunStuff#5458951040042200578

SC

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/deucestevens45/media/image_zps93c3884f.jpg.html. My latest rig by Doc Noper for my 7.5" Vaqueros. Wanted a bit of barrel peeking out. Steel lined and made to exactly my specs. Doc is a unique combo because he's the most competitive shooter that makes CAS holsters today. He knows what we need and has tons of r&d to back it up.

After searching many sites, I purchased my rig from Iron Grizzly. The Grizzly Hunter Rig, matching shotgun belt, and spur straps. The site allows you to select every feature you want, down to the number of loops and the style of conchos (and large belt sizes).

Great holsters from alot of great leathersmiths already mentioned.

My local friend and great holster maker is Curly Bill Kelly in Harriman, TN. I wear his holsters. Custom made to my likens.

And I've seen some super holster rigs by Doc Noper and Johnny Morris.

But as far as the best SG belt I've seen, I gotta go with Doc Noper's SG belts. Talk beautiful...Doc Noper. Talk comfortable...Doc Noper. Talk great value...Doc Noper. Talk functionable...Doc Noper. Talk Durable...Doc Noper. And talk about reliable and FAST...Doc Noper.

I've got 2 of them. One of them is my original (in brown leather) that I bought over a year back and I've run thousands of dummy rounds in and out of the loops with no visible wear. I like it so much, that I order another one similar to it in black this summer. Holds your shells solid yet is super fast in allowing you to pull from the loops.

Pick up the phone and give him a shout. Talk about a top notch Cowboy...Doc Noper.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Doc. He and I live about 800+ miles apart. I gain nothing from bragging on his leather products.

..........Widder

Doc is the best. I'm by far the quickest or best shooter out there... but his holsters have shaved off seconds. I'm happy with that. Love the shotgun belt as well..I have the canvas loops. They stay put when need.. but pull out equally fast. He had my rig done and shipped within a week. (Granted this was during winter) The best money I ever spent. I often say that if I don't shoot well.. at least I look good! All thanks to Doc Noper!

~Blue

Im leaning to a cross draw set up...so that would cover speed and period correct would it not?

That's what many new shooters think they need. Again I'd echo those who said attend a couple of matches and see what people are using.

There are indeed some fast shooters who use a crossdraw holster (like Lead Dispencer and "the shooter formerly known as Rattlesnake Wrangler") but in my neck of the woods most of the fast shooters use two "strong side" holsters. If the holsters are set up properly and the shooter has good technique this is very fast.

I don't know what is really "period correct".

Wow!!! Too many options.. Which one?? Reckon I'd be confused... :wacko:

I've got a rig I've used fer 9 years.. no problems til I tried a shooter/vendor/sponsor's rig...

Gotta' new rig from him on order...

Ain't sayin' what I've got or what I've ordered.. they've both been mentioned..

Too many to pick from :blush:

Do what a lot of folks have said..

Yeah... I know.... Yer in the mood and want ta get one on order ... :unsure:

Go to more matches.. see what they are wearin'..

Then make yer choice..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' lot's of nice picks out there... :):blush:

Tequila rig by Kirkpatrick, crossdraw with a strong side. Best rig I've ever had!! My shotgun belt is a Evil Roy sg belt made by ??.

Rye ;)

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I have seen a lot of the rigs mentioned above and most all are excellent choices. I have two different sets of leather (one Brown and one is Black) from

Rick Bachman out of Florence, Montana. His leather store is named "Old West Reproductions", and his work is superb and very historically correct.

Cheers, Hoss C.

Most all of us have our favorite holster rigs as we do revolvers to go in them. For those who have not seen many variaties this thread is producing some good pics for you. I will post pics (if I can) of a few of mine to maybe add to the mix:

JM leather-

03172013JMHOLSTERS_zps04bd3cae.jpg

Lone Rider-

LoneRiderholsterswFA02042012_zpsc4441230.jpg

Kirkpatrick Handlebar Doc rig-

HDbrownholstersBFbelt_zpsd0b689aa.jpg

Kirkpatrick Longhunter drop-right side-

KPrhholsterwgun20120102_zps2aaccb3d.jpg

To give more justice to the Lone Rider holster her is pic of the right side LR and Longhunter in comparison.

holsterssideview_zpscdb85d7d.jpg

I have a Kirkpatrick rig I use, a Liberty Leather rig I love, and 2 Lonerider rigs (one B-western, one for P-juniors). My wife had a Kirkpatrick Holy Terror set up.

All good. All will last longer than I will. :)

There is no better gunleather available than that made by John Bianchi at Frontier Gun Leather. Hand made by the godfather of gunleather. If you want the rig of a lifetime for a lifetime, call John. Nuff Said.

www.frontiergunleather.com

-Casper Kid

Old West Reproductions.

Look at their website to see his art in leather. Rick's work is second to none. Check it out.

As a disclaimer, I have several of his products, but I am not now, nor have I ever been affiliated with him or his company. I am just a satisfied customer.

Also, no animals were hurt in this recommendation.

My two bits.

W.K.

I've been using a Black Hills Leather Gunfighter Rig by Rudy Lozano for about five years.

Rudy is also a great guy to work with.

https://blackhillsleather.com/western-rigs-leather/western-rigs/the-korupt-karl-253.html

I'll second that choice. Been wearing a BHL rig for over6 years....holds it's shape and wears well. As others have said....good rigs are expensive, and you should do your research. Don't buy a cheap one cause you will upgrade later.

Rudy has such a great selection and will alter or change the rig to meet your desires. The rigs will be delivered on the timeline given. If you want special conchos, etc. Rudy will do it. If you watch he often has a 30% off....

Korupt Karl

One of the fellows in my home club recommended Paul Combest (Reddog Leather) in Kentucky. Several of us have ordered from him and I am very impressed with the function, quality and value. He has several "standard" rigs in his eBay store but he can customize your order as well.

http://stores.ebay.com/Reddog-Leather?_rdc=1

Big +1 for Paul at Reddog.

I have one of his "standard" Johnny Ringo rigs, but my wife ordered a special...I want it this way only...custom designed...special hammered conchos...reverse style...special tooling...combo pistol/shotgun belt. Well......you get the idea. Not only was Paul eager to do the work, but had it all done and delivered in three weeks! And at a price that was over a hundred bucks less than anywhere else she looked!!!!

Yep, you cannot go wrong with Paul at Reddog Leather.

EC

I've been using a Black Hills Leather Gunfighter Rig by Rudy Lozano for about five years.

Rudy is also a great guy to work with.

https://blackhillsleather.com/western-rigs-leather/western-rigs/the-korupt-karl-253.html

+1

I have one that I bought used 7 years ago and another I bought used 5 years ago. They both still serve me well.

Archived