SASS Wire Forum

What gunbelt/holster set up are you using?

Lucky L

Got my gun issue squared away on what I'm going to get(except im still looking for a good place to buy a Uberti 1873)....Now trying to find a good gun belt manufactor. What set up are you guys/gals using...any recommendations on a good maker/brand?

Johnny Morris made mine and I love it.Great to work with and really good work and good price.If you want a 73 and can't find a used one try a Codymatic.I love mine.

Kirkpatrick Longhunter rig. Buy once, cry once - used it for 10+ years. Still very happy with it.

Kirkpatrick Longhunter rig. Buy once, cry once - used it for 10+ years. Still very happy with it.

+1

That is what I have been using for 8 years.

But my next rig will be from Murphy Custom Leather.

Really like his stuff. Hope to get one this year sometime.

In Oregon its hard to beat Ted Blocker holsters. They are in Tigard Oregon. Get fitted, check out the samples, colors and styles.

I use Ted Blockers "Drifter" rig. My wife Miss Behavin' uses the " Dixie Bell" rig.

I'm on year three with my rig and it's workin great.

Give'm a shout and tell them Lead Ringer in Kentucky says hello.

Ringer

Johnny Morris made mine and I love it.Great to work with and really good work and good price.If you want a 73 and can't find a used one try a Codymatic.I love mine.

I was looking at the Johnny Morris set up...Does the holster stay open...doesn't tend to collapse closed??

They all stay open.Johnny is great to work with.Tell him what you want and he will make it for you.He is good to shoot with also.I would post a web site if I knew how.I have a set of Kirkpatrick that I started with that I bought used off the wire.They were not made for me and the JM Leather was made for me.I like Johnny a lot more.

I just got a California Slim Jim rig from Old Pueblo Saddle Company in Pine, Colorado. Take a look at their website, handsome holsters for sure, all at more than reasonable prices and all handmade by Allan Byrne, the proprietor. He's a super guy to deal with and is very concerned about his customer's satisfaction. Go ahead, take a looksee.

http://www.oldpueblosaddle.com/

Doc Noper gunleather. Awesome shooter awesome leathermaker . You won't be sorry .

I'm with Deuce. Love my Doc Noper rig!

Good Luck!

~Blue Hare

Leather is quite an expense. The other fact about it is that is typically does not tolerance rain/snow/ice very well. If you plan to shoot in wet weather, you also look for a second set of leather that is less costly.

Spend a lot on the leather that you plan to use most often, but a backup set for bad weather or state/regional matches is not a bad idea also.

Doc Noper gunleather. Awesome shooter awesome leathermaker . You won't be sorry .

+1

I've tried some of the other rigs out there and they just didn't hold up. I was shredding up the holsters after a short while. Doc's stuff is built to last. One look will tell you his leather is high quality but best of all, his rigs and shotgun belts are the fastest. There's a good reason why many of the sport's fastest shooters use Doc Noper leather.

I have a mernickle rig. I love it and hope it will last but if I could do it again I would have gone to JM leather. He is making my shotgun belt and some other odd ends.

Plus side is his shop is down the street and he lets me stop by to bug him every now and again.

G & J Leather in Johnstown, PA makes good stuff, but he just went in for surgery yesterday so he might be out of commission for a while.

Your best bet is to ask around at your local club, and find out what the other shooters are using. There are a whole slew of good holster rig makers out there, but most of them don't have websites; they sell their product by word of mouth.

I also use JM Leather, Johnny is very easy to work with and will make your rig exactly like you want at a very reasonable price, he has made my cowboy rig, shotgun belt, Wild Bunch rig, and my daughter's (Cowtown Spitfire) rig. All of them are exactly like we wanted!

Leather is quite an expense. The other fact about it is that is typically does not tolerance rain/snow/ice very well. If you plan to shoot in wet weather, you also look for a second set of leather that is less costly.

Spend a lot on the leather that you plan to use most often, but a backup set for bad weather or state/regional matches is not a bad idea also.

I dunno... I've shot matches in some pretty nasty weather, and never had a problem. If your leather is wet, when you get home, treat it as if you were wet-fitting it again. I also was hunting one time when it was sleeting so bad, I had to strike my matches on the sharp checkering on my rifle to light a fire. My rig was in better shape than the rest of my clothing!

What brand of custom leather do I use? Why Trailrider Products, of course! ;)

Yep, Hot Lead Heather and I both have Longhunter rigs, very nice. She has 8 shotgun loops built into the front of her belt with 2 cartridge loops on each side, buckles in the back. I have an 8 shot shotgun slide in front and a 5 loop cartridge slide behind right holster, if a stage calls for more shotshells I stuff em in my vest pockets, works great cause niether one of us likes a seperate shotgun belt. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Got two Handlebar Doc rigs and a Longhunter drop, all from KP?

Nice drop holster rig from Jack Houston Lone Rider

And newest rig is a Johnny Morris......with another in making..........yes I have rigs for sale. Ha

G & J Leather in Johnstown, PA makes good stuff, but he just went in for surgery yesterday so he might be out of commission for a while.

Your best bet is to ask around at your local club, and find out what the other shooters are using. There are a whole slew of good holster rig makers out there, but most of them don't have websites; they sell their product by word of mouth.

+1 George Livingston does beautiful work.!

He made my rig, it's actually on his site.

http://www.gandjleather.com/rig140.jpg

It's a right hand strong side with a cross draw.

Wish him a fast reecovery.

Frenchy

Before you spend several hundred dollars on a good rig, attend a few shoots and look at what top local shooters are using. Ask them their opinions. You don't want to spend $400 + and find out later that the rig you bought is not exactly what you wanted.

Kirkpatrick and Mernickle are larger outfits and their turn-around time is pretty fast. There are, however, a number of smaller shops and individuals that will make your rig exactly to your specifications and their work is as good (if not better) than some of the more well known big makers.

Several cowboys have already mentioned some very good smaller shops. You may also want to check with the groups you shoot with to see if there are any local makers close to you that do quality work.

+1

Got my shotgun belt from him , when I get my next gunbelt it will be from him to

Try this link. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doc-Noper-Gun-Leather/150530958333442?ref=ts&fref=ts

Great holsters from alot of great leathersmiths already mentioned.

My local friend and great holster maker is Curly Bill Kelly in Harriman, TN. I wear his holsters. Custom made to my likens.

And I've seen some super holster rigs by Doc Noper and Johnny Morris.

But as far as the best SG belt I've seen, I gotta go with Doc Noper's SG belts. Talk beautiful...Doc Noper. Talk comfortable...Doc Noper. Talk great value...Doc Noper. Talk functionable...Doc Noper. Talk Durable...Doc Noper. And talk about reliable and FAST...Doc Noper.

I've got 2 of them. One of them is my original (in brown leather) that I bought over a year back and I've run thousands of dummy rounds in and out of the loops with no visible wear. I like it so much, that I order another one similar to it in black this summer. Holds your shells solid yet is super fast in allowing you to pull from the loops.

Pick up the phone and give him a shout. Talk about a top notch Cowboy...Doc Noper.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Doc. He and I live about 800+ miles apart. I gain nothing from bragging on his leather products.

..........Widder

And I was hopin you would agree with me about 50%.

Just don't tell anyone which 50% you agree with..........hehehehehe!

Hey Johnny, I'm headin down to Slicks 'Hell Fire' match in September.

You gona be there?

..........WIdder

Archived