SASS Wire Forum

Mink Oil

Curley Fryes

I used mink oil on my Oil tanned boots. While it makes them very water resistant, they collect dust and dirt that is hard to get off. Given we dont have any mud down here in S Texas (it aint rained in so long, I forgit what it looks like) dust is a bigger problem. Soooo, I doubt I will use mink oil on them again. But if its wet where you are, oil em up!

If you use it on your boots, what will you use to lubricate your minks? :huh::blink:

Boot oil! :D

I used mink oil on my Oil tanned boots. While it makes them very water resistant, they collect dust and dirt that is hard to get off. Given we dont have any mud down here in S Texas (it aint rained in so long, I forgit what it looks like) dust is a bigger problem. Soooo, I doubt I will use mink oil on them again. But if its wet where you are, oil em up!

My roof don't leak when it's not raining. How water resistant are they, and are you sure??? :P

CR

I was in a boot shop a couple months ago and the lady there said do not use mink oil on boots because it will deteriorate the stiches. She said it used to be ok in the past, but stitching materials being used in the industry today are not the same as they used to be.

I tried to google this, but I couldn't find much detail about mink oil other that a few warnings on other forums. Just to be safe you may want to get an expert opinion or use a leather conditioner specifically marketed for boots.

We get a lot of fall, winter and spring here. I've tried a lot of different products including mink oil, dubbin, lanolin, silicone and a couple of others. Two I have had the most success with on leather are:

Montana Pitch Blend (if you don't mind the smell of pine pitch)

http://www.montanapitchblend.com

and Sno Seal (beeswax mostly)

http://www.amazon.com/Sno-Seal-Sno-Seal-7-oz/dp/B005L9EEHU

My roof don't leak when it's not raining. How water resistant are they, and are you sure??? :P

CR

i used it on all of my work boots when I lived in Lousisana. Got plesnty of rain there! I never had a problen with causing stiching to deterioate. Have you ever seen a mink with frayed threads......

But, maybe the thread used nowadays is diffrent. I'm thinking its the boot oil makers that are saying that mink oiul is not good, buy "my" product.....much better.....

If you use Sno-Seal (a very good product) make sure you oil the leather first with something like neatsfoot oil. The Sno-Seal doesn't lubricate the leather very well and the leather will eventually crack despite being water resistant. Neatsfoot oil under Sno-Seal was actually my favorite, but I usually just used Mink Oil as it was almost as good and much quicker and easier.

Archived