SASS Wire Forum

Pietta .36 Griswold and Gunnison Reviews?

Come On Christmas

I need a mate gun for my nother .36 caliber black powder pistol the Uberti Remington .36

I like the looks of the Griswold and Gunnison. I have avoided brass frame revolvers like the plague,

I made a discovery Fg Skirmish powder. I made a good buddy who shoots older cap guns a believer as well. Kinda more like a rocket going off then a cannon. Easier on the gun, less recoil, being my point. That and being a .36 rather than a .44 . . .

Do anybody have any experience with THIS particular pistol? (Come on now, FOCUS. Stay on task.)

Your obedient servant,

Candelario Cervantes, AKA Shameless Womanizer

Shameless:

Both the G & G and S & B are fine-shooting pistols.

Brass-framed pistols have their own "feel" -- frequently smooth as butter.

Lotsa folks really like them.

If I remember correctly, Wolfgang has a bunch.

The G & G has a typical Colt feel to it, and the S & B is kinda like firing a Remmie.

The S & B feels light & nimble, compared to a .36 Remmie, IMHO.

Just keep the loads light & don't worry about it being a brass frame.

Yule enjoy either & the greater variety of guns in yer stable, the better.

--Dawg

Shameless, I kow you. I don't think YOU will ever shoot a brass framed gun enough to stretch it, EVER! Go for it and have fun with whichever you chose.

There he is goading me to shoot more so he can find me and Back Shoot me! I will see you in September in Oklahoma at the ALL SHOTGUN shoot. As you well know I only shoot in September thru May because the only time I work up a sweat is in bed . . .

Hey P Dawg! I like the looks of the Grizzly what with the round barrel and it's Rebellious Past! I still have a road trip Yankee shoot on my bucket list. Maybe disguised as one of my many aliases. A confederate colonel . . . Colonel Angus.

I traded the Shooters Remington to one of my buddies that has had one b4. They only shoots .457 balls. I was wrong.

Whew but those two chain fires scared years off my life. Had not done that since I was 18. What's funny now that I think of it all the rounds hit paper. Some random guy said something about my lack of accuracy. I said, "I do not shoot that sorry on a bad day."

Later,

Shameless Womanizer

Shooting Frontiersman requires shooting duelist-style (one hand). This would be easier for me (maybe not others) if the hammers and grip frames were exactly the same in the two pistols.

My hand shape (normal size but thick) works better with smaller Colt frames than it does with the solid frame Remington, S&B, Whitneys or Rodgers.

I would suggest buying a match for your Remington if that is what you prefer.

Hey Shameless:

If you come to the Tusco 3-day (first weekend in October), I got half the shoot fee.

Lookin forward to shootin with ya.

--Dawg

Disclaimer: I haven't shot BP in front-loaders or otherwise in years...BUT...the best shooting, least fouling sixgun I ever fired (including an original Whitney .36 Navy, Navy Arms M1860 Colt's) was one of the first Spiller and Burr replicas imported from Italy. Not sure who made it, but it was marked "Joan's Gun Shop". Very accurate. Used .380RB. Would shoot four or five cylinder-fulls before needing cleaning. The Spiller and Burr was a Confederate knockoff of the Whitney Navy, but with the brass (bronze) frame instead of iron. The Whitney was designed by Fordyce Beals, who also designed the Remington revolvers.

I have shot my G&G for two years now with no problems at all. I did install the Treso nipples which really helps dropping caps and that is all I have done. I shoot American or real black with not much difference. I shoot Diamondback 2F when I can find some. It is a great gun to shoot and was the first pistols shot by the Hell on Wheels series by the star, they mentioned that his was a 44 and I don't think G&G was available in 44 to the best of my knowledge. I have a couple of 51 Navies also with the brass frame and have had not problems with them either. I am having one of my G&G converted over to 38Special with a 4 3/4 barrel to try and keep up with the Dawg man. I like the snubbies and have not seen another snubbie from a G&G yet. Enjoy the G&G and don't let the brass frame change your mine. Have not shot a S&B but the brass frame would not stop me from buying one either. Enjoy whatever C&B you purchase. Diamond Curly

Hey Bullweed! The way round that is shoot 49'r. Then you can shoot anyway ya want. Hell, in a year or three I can shoot Sr. Statesman? is that 60 or 65?

Besides if it wasn't complicated I doubt I could do it. Its not easy being me . . . I have shot Frontiersman for years with mis matched guns :blink:

The Spiller and Burr makes more sense, but I have been a Remmie guy for a looong time. Decisions Decisions.

Hey, Prarie Dawg. Forgive my ignorance, where is Tusco?

New Philadelphia, Ohio

Mid -- Eastern part of state.

A bit east of the intersection of I-70 & I-77

http://www.tuscolongriders.com

We put on a real nice 3-day

--Dawg

Archived