SASS Wire Forum

'72 extractor issue

Had a firing pin break in my '73 (not a '72 as mentioned in the topic line) at the range today. Got home, replaced the broken pin with a Pioneer harden firing pin. Now with 10 in the magazine, the rifle will fail to extract the first fired round. It also won't extract any rounds if I don't pull the trigger (or an empty round if I put in a fired case). It will extract every round after the first one it fails to extract with it is fired but nothing if not fired. Any ideas? Firing pin too long perhaps? When I open the action, the firing pin does not retract completely into the bolt, but I can't remember now if it is supposed to.

Thanks in advance!

Redleg,

Many of the aftermarket firing pins are longer than the original and will protrude from the bolt face causing problems and could cause out of battery firing just by closing the bolt. An original firing pin does not extend beyond the bolt face. Sounds to me like the long firing pin is the cause of your failure to extract but I'm not a gunsmith and suggest you wait until one replies to your post as there are several on the Wire on a regular basis.

Waco

Yep, sounds like the pin is way too long and holding the unfired cartridge away from the extractor. With a fired cartridge, the pin is forward enough in the primer indent to allow the extractor to catch the rim...............

Mink...............

You should have .040 to .050 protrusion I had a similar problem removed some material from the back of the firing pin till it was in specs, runs perfect now

Archived