SASS Wire Forum

You make the call - staged or dropped ammo

Hollifer A. Dollar

re-shoot if she wants one.

Otherwise no call

--Dawg

Yup.

Allie's post #14.

I often cannot determine who is yelling or what they are yelling at me while shooting the stage. So I just stop - the safe course of action. I receive a DNF from time to time (it's only a game), but I have never had a gun blow up in my face. Sometimes the yelling was "squib" and thankfully I stopped.

I had almost exactly this situation happen to me, grabbed the shotgun, shoved in 2 shells, closed it & the RO says "You got to MOVE" so I did...SDQ'd myself on the spot. Yes it was improper coaching, but it was my responsibility to make the move to the correct postion safely. I dumped the shells, grabbed my rifle & went to the unloading table.

Holler

That can happen......I did that to a great friend at a two day match. The prop's forced the TO to be away from the shooter and he pulled a pistol and stopped in the wrong position to shoot........I yelled move (because I couldn't see the pistol was cocked yet) and he did. He was a great sport about it and I felt like crap the rest of the match.

TO's TRY their best and IMO the good ones hate to screw up........it's a great feeling to save some one in need and that's the payoff for the work. But everyone can make mistakes.......if we held their feet to the fire every time they did......we may be shooting without a TO at all. Many folks won't take the timer for the simple reason they don't like the guilt of the job or they don't want to "screw up" some one's shoot.........

My point is it's really nice to see folks cowboy up and take responsibility for their actions rather than looking for a way out all the time.

re-shoot if she wants one.

Otherwise no call

--Dawg

+1,

Without reading into second page, this one is easy.

That can happen......I did that to a great friend at a two day match. The prop's forced the TO to be away from the shooter and he pulled a pistol and stopped in the wrong position to shoot........I yelled move (because I couldn't see the pistol was cocked yet) and he did. He was a great sport about it and I felt like crap the rest of the match.

TO's TRY their best and IMO the good ones hate to screw up........it's a great feeling to save some one in need and that's the payoff for the work. But everyone can make mistakes.......if we held their feet to the fire every time they did......we may be shooting without a TO at all. Many folks won't take the timer for the simple reason they don't like the guilt of the job or they don't want to "screw up" some one's shoot.........

My point is it's really nice to see folks cowboy up and take responsibility for their actions rather than looking for a way out all the time.

I often tell folks, "The only people who screw up are the ones willing to do something." We do our best, but sometimes sometimes our best falls short of our best intentions. Like you, I love saving someone's behind, but I hate, hate, hate it when I am unsuccessful, particularly if I know I could have done better. Sometimes even the best TO's need a do-over. :)

I have witnessed an RO interfer with his buddy shooter after the Peanut Gallery hollered about a safety issue that could be corrected before next gun at a State or above match. Peanut Gallery was right, RO wasn't. Reshoot taken by buddy, much better score. couldn't prove it was intenional or cheating, but good buddies shouldn't RO for their good buddies, at big matches,,,, or spot either.... just like spouses shouldn't RO/Score for family members.

I wouldn't go that far as I prefer to have certain folks who are familiar with me to run the timer. It's not an absolute necessity, just a preference. I think of a certain pard who knows without any explanation why and when I'll ask for the TO to say just before I pull pistols, "Right. Six." That same pard, if I screw up, will cut me no slack.

Each of us are left to define who we will be and with very few exceptions, we have an extremely honest bunch of folks who play the game. When we encounter those few who are little cheaters, without fail, I've seen it long term bite them in the...uh...butt. Red River Ray says, "The range gods will take care of it" and they do. Ultimately, cheaters never win and winners never cheat.

+1 Buck.

While I'm not likely to ever win the Caddy, I can't imagine that I would take any pleasure in a win that I had cheated to aquire.

I had almost exactly this situation happen to me, grabbed the shotgun, shoved in 2 shells, closed it & the RO says "You got to MOVE" so I did...SDQ'd myself on the spot. Yes it was improper coaching, but it was my responsibility to make the move to the correct postion safely. I dumped the shells, grabbed my rifle & went to the unloading table.

Holler

This is not necessarily a good example of bad coaching as all you had to do was open your SG and move to the correct location. You assumed the TO gave you bad coaching when in fact you made the mistake either by misunderstanding the rules or the pressure of the moment.

Respectfully,

Fillmore

This is not necessarily a good example of bad coaching as all you had to do was open your SG and move to the correct location. You assumed the TO gave you bad coaching when in fact you made the mistake either by misunderstanding the rules or the pressure of the moment.

Respectfully,

Fillmore

+1

Move was the proper thing.

It is up to the shooter to know to open first.

Holler

Actually that was not improper coaching. The RO telling you to move was proper coaching. All you had to do was open the shotgun THEN move per the TOs instruction and there would have been no penalty. It would only be improper coaching if the RO tells you to do something that you can not do without incurring a penalty or if they impede you from doing something that is perfectly legal to do.

Actually that was not improper coaching. The RO telling you to move was proper coaching. All you had to do was open the shotgun THEN move per the TOs instruction and there would have been no penalty. It would only be improper coaching if the RO tells you to do something that you can not do without incurring a penalty or if they impede you from doing something that is perfectly legal to do.

+1

Move was the proper thing.

It is up to the shooter to know to open first.

Respectfully,

Fillmore

You are all 100% correct. I had 3 options: a) shoot from where I was & take a procedural, B) open the shotgun & move the 5 ft to the correct position (I didn't have to dump the shells) with no penalty, or c) take 2 steps with a cocked, closed, loaded shotgun & get a SDQ. Had nothing been said, option a) is what would have happened because I was going to shoot from that spot - the gun was at my shoulder when I heard "MOVE".

In the heat of the moment, I chose the worst of the 3 because all my head could process was what I heard - "MOVE". Looking back, it wouldn't have mattered if the RO had said "wrong place!" or "no no no" or anything else. I knew the rule, I just chose to do the one thing that would break it.

Ain't 20/20 hindsight wonderful?

Holler

Archived