SASS Wire Forum

It's so cozy, in our little cowboy world. And pretty danged hostile, outside of it...

Flying with firearms, out of LAX.

My rifle case deliberately looks as much like a guitar case as possible, but some folks figured it out, and there have been some really hostile comments, culminating with, "I hope you get murdered with your own guns, and then, they are destroyed."

I feel like we're losing the Public Relations fight, out there.

Sigh.

FJT

Duhhh ...out of LAX?...of course.....Out of DFW...comment might be.....Deer Hunter?...look at a county by county election map and you'll get the picture.

While you are fighting the anti's out there, my Pastor at church (a Southern Baptist Church) encourages alot of us licensed carry holders to carry our pistols with us, even to church.

Of course, some of us are very accommodating.

Maybe you oughta remind those at the airport that the pilot and crew are more likely to perish in a plane crash than you are of being shot, especially with your own guns.

..........Widder

My rifle case deliberately looks as much like a guitar case as possible, but some folks figured it out, and there have been some really hostile comments, culminating with, "I hope you get murdered with your own guns, and then, they are destroyed."

Sigh.

FJT

(Sarcasm on) But they're oh so tollerant. (Sarcasm off)

This is probably best left unsaid.........

"Well, bless yer heart."

Said with appropriate inflection.

Should have replied, "Thanks for your input. I'd love to stand around and chat, but I gotta go finish the maintenence on the right engine. Ya'll have a good flight!"

Not to worry, karma will come back to them.

Figure there is a good chance (and getting better all the time) that at some point they will really be wishing they had a gun & knew how to use it.

Oh, wait, I forgot, they probably live in a "gun free zone" & therefore will never have any worries, always feeling secure.

Much nice than what I would say, but I'm laconic.

and I'm Lexdystic !

And I would have probably put my right hand down in my front pocket and said, 'here, I got something for you'.....and pull out my hand with all my fingers folded except the 'Tall Boy'.

..........Widder

I fly a lot and always wear some type of firearms related shirt or cap and always read my Chronicle and other firearms related magazines in the airport/plane - just to piss them all off... :blink:

The TSA is fun to torment... I have had to opportunity to meet the head of home land security at the Chicago airport :-)

Whenever I have flown with my guns, the TSA agents were all totally cool and just wanted to see the type of weapons I had. The baggage handlers on the other hand are another story; they thought they were competing in the Scottish games and used my long gun cases to toss around instead of that long pole. >:o

Sounds exactly like something my EX mother-in-law would say. And feel good about it... :wacko::angry:

Gotta agree with Manatee on this one. My tolerance for intolerance and hatred ran out sometime ago.

Oh, but wait, that response might hurt someone's feelings and we sure wouldn't want that... ;)

I had a simpering nitwit refuse to check me in once. "Help! She has GUNS! I won't DO guns! Somebody come over here and check her in! And he swished away into the back room and left me standing there.

I'm just glad they don't make us show clear at check in anymore. Had more than one little old lady damn near faint when I racked the long guns. There is just no way to do that without being noticed.............

Overall, generally decent getting through the airport. Never once, no matter what state I'm coming from or going to, with a carry gun included in the case or just cowboy guns have I ever been asked for my permit. Not once. I've always found that to be rather odd..........

yes we are losing the public battle

every time I have flown with guns, even several times to Alaska

even the airline folks helping me check in, would make comments

not becoming their job status

just standing in line, women mostly, "what is in the case"

firarms ma am

"gasp ---- what do you need those for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I do shooting competitions called cowboy action shooting ma am

my whole family does.

gasp -------again like I did something wrong

then they just ignore me

"Maybe you oughta remind those at the airport that the pilot and crew are more likely to perish in a plane crash than you are of being shot, especially with your own guns."

Widder, in this day and age, it's probably not a good idea to mention plane crashes while checking in for a flight. Could get you more attention than actually wanted.

Personally, I will never fly again, after what TSA did to my father about 10 years ago. I have the right to NOT be treated like a criminal, even if exercising that right means I have to drive or walk.

After decades of putting up with ever worsening airline service plus ever increasing airport BS I have at last reached the stage where I do not need either. Southern Texas has all the facilities I need, and none of the cr*p I am not prepared to tolerate. Nobody looks twice at my rifle cases, and my Subaru Outback takes me anywhere I want to go.

Flying with guns, I have found that the airline personnel and TSA people have usually been friendly or professional.

I have not refused to fly, as Pulp does, but I carry that metal Bill of Rights through the metal detectors. Iffen you are not familiar with it, go to http://securityedition.com/

It sets off the detectors, and I have to turn it over to them, usually with a smart-assed remark such as "Oh, I guess you guys don't know about the Bill of Rights, why don't you read it?"

Sigh.

FJT

FJT,

Sometime... over a cool adult beverage I'll tell you about the last time I flew out of LAX... off to New Zealand to attend a family reunion and a CAS match there... no guns, but damn the uproar over a pair of E. Garcia spurs...

We are lucky in Canada to have one airline, WestJet, who seem (almost) gun friendly. Of course I have heard that the CEO is a gun owner. In any case my experiences have been really pleasant with them and they smooth the way through security for your guns.

I will fly with them every time over our national carrier.

Legendary Lawman

The response I used when last berated for owning and flying with guns was, "Well, aren't you special? You should attempt aeronautical intercourse with a gyrating pastry!" :rolleyes:B):lol:

Sigh.

FJT

Should have smiled and said as cheerfully as possible "Aren't you just a nasty, bitter person"

I had a simpering nitwit refuse to check me in once. "Help! She has GUNS! I won't DO guns! Somebody come over here and check her in! And he swished away into the back room and left me standing there.

I'm just glad they don't make us show clear at check in anymore. Had more than one little old lady damn near faint when I racked the long guns. There is just no way to do that without being noticed.............

Overall, generally decent getting through the airport. Never once, no matter what state I'm coming from or going to, with a carry gun included in the case or just cowboy guns have I ever been asked for my permit. Not once. I've always found that to be rather odd..........

I would have gotten his name and then filed a complaint at the corporate level making it a point to mention that I would tell every shooter I know and would post on ALL the internet shooting forums that airline XXXXX doesn't like gun owners and that they should find a different airline to fly.

I know how that can be. I was flying my guns home prior to a deployment and at the time, i had quite a few of those "scary assault rifles". damn near had everyone on the floor like I was robbin the place every time i pulled one out and cleared it.

Too bad that happened - hopefully your firearms didn't get damaged - however, isn't there a TSA office you can report that too? They are there to do a job, not lecture one on firearms ownership or threatening messages.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

"Maybe you oughta remind those at the airport that the pilot and crew are more likely to perish in a plane crash than you are of being shot, especially with your own guns."

Widder, in this day and age, it's probably not a good idea to mention plane crashes while checking in for a flight. Could get you more attention than actually wanted.

Personally, I will never fly again, after what TSA did to my father about 10 years ago. I have the right to NOT be treated like a criminal, even if exercising that right means I have to drive or walk.

What he said! And my career has been made building airplanes. But I absolutely refuse to ever get on one again until they stop all this crap. And FJT, I probably would have said something back just as ugly.

Mr. Turner,

The good news is you are probably headed to an area of the country that enjoys your company and your talents. I know I should not mention "Guns of August" on this forum, because it isn't the forum for mentioning events upcoming within the next 10 days or so in Middletown, OH. So, I won't. But, I am sure I still have the right to tell you, we will be happy for you to bring your guns and shoot them all you want, and as fast as you want!!! I hope you will be entertaining us with your song and guitar strumming this year!!!

Welcome to the Mid-West!....uh? Mid-East?.....Mid-East-West in the US?.....uh? WELCOME!

KCD

I had a similar encounter flying out of Phx to Seattle once and all I said was, "You can thank me later for your freedom of speech." I got a bewildered look and the lady at the counter looked away as she smiled in approval. We are all ambassadors of the shooting sports and the Constitution. I am retired LE and have flown quite a bit with a firearm, choose your airlines wisely, some are more friendly than others. Be cautious of ignorance in large numbers...

Archived