SASS Wire Forum

Shelf life of smokeless powder once opened

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx

Recommendations for Storage of Smokeless Powder

STORE IN A COOL, DRY PLACE. Be sure the storage area selected is free from any possible sources of excess heat and is isolated from open flame, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc. Do not store smokeless powder where it will be exposed to the sun's rays. Avoid storage in areas where mechanical or electrical equipment is in operation. Restrict from the storage areas heat or sparks which may result from improper, defective or overloaded electrical circuits.

DO NOT STORE SMOKELESS POWDER IN THE SAME AREA WITH SOLVENTS, FLAMMABLE GASES OR HIGHLY COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS.

STORE ONLY IN DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION APPROVED CONTAINERS.

Do not transfer the powder from an approved container into one which is not approved.

I am still working a 30+ year old can of Red Dot that my father in law left us.

Works just fine.

With vintage powders, I did look at some vintage loading manuals and found some differences in recommended load...probably from the powder recipe changing a bit over 30 years.

DOC,

I had some 30 yr old H110 that had been opened and only partially used.

Sooooo, I decided to do a test of it and a can of NEW H110 in some .44 Mag loads.

I chronographed 10 rounds of the 30 yr old H110 (which had been opened 30 yrs prior and kept in a cool, DRY place) and 10 rounds of a NEW can of H110. NO DIFFERENCES in performance.

..........WIdder

I have a can of RedDot that my Uncle gave me that he bought in the mid 1960's and it still works great.Stored correctly it will last a lot longer that you would think.

As others have said, stored PROPERLY, the life should be nearly infinite (well, maybe 100 years is a bit much). The main thing is to observe the powder itself.

1. If the inside of a metal can is rusty, DO NOT USE!

2. If there is a red dust all over the powder, DO NOT USE!

3. If the powder has been subjected to heat in excess of say 90 deg. F, or lower than 32 deg. F. for a long period of time, or subject to wide variations of temperature cycling (such as if it was stored in an un-temperature controlled garage, etc., I would be leary of it.

4. If the container has been left UN-SEALED, permitting moisture to enter or exit as the ambient humidity changes, I would probably want to load a few test loads of the subject powder, and compare them to the same load of recent manufactured powder, using a chronograph. (An M43 PBL pressure measurement system would be better, but not available to most shooters.)

And if the powder has an acidic smell or other unusual smell (not the normal acetone/solvent smell that fresh powder has), it should be discarded.

Or if the powder has lost it's normal shape and size and has broken down into smaller chunks or pulverized to dust, discard it.

Good luck, GJ

I have powder my father in law bought in the 40's and 50's and its still good. I have a can of red dot in the short square container you push in the center of the top to open, it still has the dots and I have used it. I have IMR powder in the thin wide can with the tiny cap, its still good. Keep it stored properly and it will last a very long time.

Alliant has a glass container of Unique that is close to 100 yr's old, maybe older.

Howdy

I have been trying to find an exact reference to that story, but I cannot. The way I heard it, it is a pound of Bullseye, but I could be wrong. Anyway, if well sealed and kept in a cool dry place, Smokeless powder will last a long, long time, even if it is opened periodically, and then sealed again.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I am using some BLC that I opened in 1972. It was mfd in 1967, I recollect.

And it still shoots a tight group with my .308 match rifle.

Mustang Gregg

just finished up some Red Dot that was going on 21 years old. +1 on indefinitely!

21 years! That's one big container!

Archived