SASS Wire Forum

Clays vs Claydot

Shotgun Bandit

Since Clays is getting hard to find I was told that Clay Dot is a exzact replacement for Clays.

Anyone had any experience loading Clay Dot in shotshells ??...........Thanks....... Bandit

It works very well. It is a very slightly different volume, but you can use it by weight - grain for grain. So slight adjustments may be needed for your powder measure to get the proper weight.

Guest jeweler jim
Bandit, Bandit, bandit, if you make the shoot tomorrow I will be happy to let you try some of my ammo loaded with Clay Dot. Been using it for almost two years now and have gone through my first eight pounder (the only size it comes in).

Clay-Dot used to only come in 8lb. containers but as of last October, they started selling it in 1and 4lb.also. Bought a 1lb. can back then to try it and went back a month later and bought a 4 pounder. I quit loading Clays and started loading Red-Dot. Now I load Clay-Dot instead of Red-Dot. With either Dot, you can't go wrong.

B.S.

Guest jeweler jim
One of the local trap ranges always has some in stock, but I've never seen the 1 or 4 pound containers. They also (believe it or not!) have had all the various primers in stock and limit those to five thousand of each type to each customer. And no they don't do mail or internet sales. As long as none of us locals get greedy they seem to keep all supplied with only an occasional lacking in the pistol primer area...

I know claydot is supposed to be the same as clays, but since alliant publishes no information on metallic cartridges only shotgun is anyone using it in either 45acp or 45 colt?.........Doc

Wow, you must have missed my previous 10 or so posts about using Clay Dot in cartridges.

Yes, it works fine, it's just that Alliant has not yet published any loading data for it in cartridges, and neither have any o the other loading manual publishing companies. I call the situation "off the books". Work up your loads carefully, you will be satisified with Clay Dot, as it is cheaper, and cleaner, than Clays in all the cartridge loads I have made up. And less squibby in cold weather, too! Just don't expect it to do things that Clays won't do. It is a very close clone of Clays, a miracle of modern powder engineering, in my book!

It is still a copy, it is NOT "the same as". So, pay attention in case you find a load that is good with Clays, but perhaps a stinker with Clay Dot.

Good luck, GJ

Wow, you must have missed my previous 10 or so posts about using Clay Dot in cartridges.

Yes, it works fine, it's just that Alliant has not yet published any loading data for it in cartridges, and neither have any o the other loading manual publishing companies. I call the situation "off the books". Work up your loads carefully, you will be satisified with Clay Dot, as it is cheaper, and cleaner, than Clays in all the cartridge loads I have made up. And less squibby in cold weather, too! Just don't expect it to do things that Clays won't do. It is a very close clone of Clays, a miracle of modern powder engineering, in my book!

It is still a copy, it is NOT "the same as". So, pay attention in case you find a load that is good with Clays, but perhaps a stinker with Clay Dot.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks, that's the best description i've read so far. I did search the site and nothing came up for claydot except this thread....Doc

Thanks, that's the best description i've read so far. I did search the site and nothing came up for claydot except this thread....Doc

Probably need to search for "Clay Dot" not "Claydot." I got about twenty or more hits including this one from a week or so ago.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209374&hl=%2Bclay+%2Bdot#entry2692305

Anyway, good luck! GJ

Archived