SASS Wire Forum

question about bullets for buckarette

Cherokee Sam

I feel sorry for kids trying to come up with rim fire ammo to shoot matches.....and am likewise appauled at hoarders buying 20k+ rounds each that aren't helping matters then turning around and gouging at gun shows....oh well, guess that is just the way it is, always has been and always will be. I know I can't find any 22 locally without camping out at the stores waiting for shipments to come in. Many have just cut way back or quit shooting rim fire so now the various club matches suffer from lower attendance. Sad indeed.

Although Mink is correct, my (and many) local clubs allow the use of copper "washed" 22's probably because the real danger to steel and safety concerning bounce back comes from "jacketed" ammo. If you are just shooting at a local club match, you might also consider asking your club officials about the ammo in question. Most CCI ammo is simply copper washed lead for corrosion resistance and cleaner bores. It deforms and splatters the same as the non washed bullets from my experience. Some might be excessive with regards to velocity....might check that too.

Now that I think about it....I've been hit by lead splatter by large caliber loads that fall well within SASS rules far more so than any standard 22 caliber. In fact, I can't remember anyone getting hit by any 22 caliber close range steel competition for which I have participated.

I'm shooting .38 and .44 Mag cheaper than .22 right now with casting my own bullets. My little girl has a Henry and Ruger 10-22 that are collecting dust. I was at the Cabellas in Grand Rapids, MI on Sunday looking for some on my way through. They said I should have been in line on Friday. $28.99 for 300.

I would imagine that when this rule was written it was not done so to limit the type of .22s people use but to reduce confusion on center fire loads that look jacketed. The copper wash on a 22 is so thin you can scrape it off with a knife, it will not cause any more or more dangerous splatter than a bare lead bullet. The rule should be amended to except .22LR.

The rule specifically state STANDARD VELOCITY ammo for 22s.

That being the official stance, I have been out of standard velocity ammo for a couple of years and generally shoot whatever "cheap" 22LR I can buy for use on side matches and for practice. In addition, I have not seen any other STANDARD VELOCITY ammo on the range in some time.

If you have a doubt about if you can use it, take the box of ammo to the Range Master and get his/her blessing.

Monco & Michigan Slim: Grafs.com is showing .22 LR available for $45/500. This is not a great price but a possibility if you want to keep those kids shooting.

The rule specifically state STANDARD VELOCITY ammo for 22s.

That being the official stance, I have been out of standard velocity ammo for a couple of years and generally shoot whatever "cheap" 22LR I can buy for use on side matches and for practice. In addition, I have not seen any other STANDARD VELOCITY ammo on the range in some time.

If you have a doubt about if you can use it, take the box of ammo to the Range Master and get his/her blessing.

good point

perhaps the new standard is different

just sayin

ask your match director is good advice

Howdy

What is the "Standard velocity" 22 LR. Sub sonic is about 1050fps for most brands. High velocity seems to be 1400 to 1500 fps. The middle of the pack seems to be 1235 to 1280 fps.

Young uns have shot all these types in plain lead, copper washed, and even some that were black washed. All types did fine on our targets without any back splatter problems

Happy trails

Bill Bonney

Archived