SASS Wire Forum

Home made case kicker for Rock Chucker press

Grizzly Dave

Been toying with this idea for a while, and finally took the time to play with it and make it work.

Probably something to do with the 2000+ cases I need to load and the fact that I need to get to them soon as I'm about out of loaded ammo.

Mike, being a single stage, each case gets powder, then a bullet set on it and then into the press. I think before I run the case kicker with that operation I need to get my ejection collection fine tuned, not sure I want loaded rounds falling all the way to the bucket on the floor.

Heck, even if I don't use the kicker for the seat / crimp operation I'll still save a bunch of time. BTW, I use a hand priming tool between the belling die and seat crimp die.

That's not a bad idea. I have a couple of 550's on the bench, but still use my Rockchucker a LOT for smaller lots experimenting with charges, bullet weights, etc.

• 4 months later...

Yep a Rock Chucker is handy. It was my first press and its sits on the bench next to my 650 to help repair rejects, like the occasional high prmer.

I use an RCBS turret tool that is really nice. Pretty fast and was fairly cheap when I bought it. Have it set up to do .45 LC and another plate with .38. Easy to change over to another caliber with the extra plate.

I use my Rock Chucker for all my bottle neck rifle reloading.

I don't have a Rock Chucker press, but I do have a couple of Lee Breech Lock Challenger Presses that I bet I could get that set up to work for me when I de-cap all my brass. I don't like to run dirty primed brass through my 650.

• 1 year later...

Griz, thanks. I too used a dust collector clamp, worked right off with my Lee Anniversary single stage press. I de-primed 500 45acp in 28 minutes!

I then chucked up my Lee primer pocket cleaner in my lathe and made short work of the cleaning too.

Normally I would de-prime prior to going in the wet tumbler with SS media but I got behind by a couple of thousand rounds and just cleaned them with the primers in.

It doesn't really matter on my 45 colt but I have lots of high Win primers on the 45acp Winchester brass if I don't clean them first.

Dave mount a plastic parts bin to the front edge of your bench where the loaded rounds tumble off and they won't have far to fall…or actually mount one of the metal straps used for holding the parts bin, so you can easily remove the bin when full, or just to get it out of the way when not using it.

HOWDY;I use a RCBS case kicker to do that job. It was about 20 buck 20 years ago. Why RCBS stopped making them is beyond me.

I picked up a used one last year at a gun show for 15 dollars. A spare just in case. These units had a funnel to redirect deprimed primers, a tray to catch brass, and the flat spring.

Been toying with this idea for a while, and finally took the time to play with it and make it work.

Probably something to do with the 2000+ cases I need to load and the fact that I need to get to them soon as I'm about out of loaded ammo.

http://youtu.be/YzpYxRZRml8

Dave:

I did somthing like this a while back for my LEE Classic Cast Single Stage Press. For the "kicker" part, I used a metal belt clip I purchased from Tandy Leather and straightened out a little Works great when you're doing something that just requires a single stage press. Here are my videos.

This post came up from the depths!

I solved the problem with an XL 650.

And still have a couple thousand cases ready to be loaded...

But when I do get around to it, it won't take near as long.

Plus you can't load 12 ga brass shotshells on a dillon but you can on a Rock chucker that's why I have the 550 for rifle pistol ammo that isn't precesion and the Rock chucker for the shotgun shells and precession rifle ammo

I have a Lee Challenger Press secured to a small piece of 3/4 inch plywood

that is clamped to my bench with c clamps.

I attached a small dowel to the plywood and slipped on a heavy duty zip tie with a 90 Degree

curve at the end point. Zip tie can be easily adjusted on the dowel to kick out most

caliber cases.

I like this approach because it eleminates the metal to metal contact of the RCBS type

kickers while still usings the ram to apply enough stroke tension to the zip tie.

Saw Grizz's video when it was first posted and duplicated his approach...worked great.

Then I looked for other home made case kickers.....found a few but they lacked simplicity.

One guy from Germany was really into it but I would need a doctorate in physics just to

copy his design.

SASS people always provide plenty of food for thought... I thank you all for the vids and

usefull info!

I'm having a hard time picturing this, can you snap a pic?

Willy

I have a Lee Challenger Press secured to a small piece of 3/4 inch plywood

that is clamped to my bench with c clamps.

I attached a small dowel to the plywood and slipped on a heavy duty zip tie with a 90 Degree

curve at the end point. Zip tie can be easily adjusted on the dowel to kick out most

caliber cases.

I like this approach because it eleminates the metal to metal contact of the RCBS type

kickers while still usings the ram to apply enough stroke tension to the zip tie.

Saw Grizz's video when it was first posted and duplicated his approach...worked great.

Then I looked for other home made case kickers.....found a few but they lacked simplicity.

One guy from Germany was really into it but I would need a doctorate in physics just to

copy his design.

SASS people always provide plenty of food for thought... I thank you all for the vids and

usefull info!

That Rock Chucker brought back some sweet memories. Early 70's I was young, energetic and bulletproof. The guy that owned the local saloon had a rcbs set up in the basement of the bar. Showed me how to use it and turned me loose. I could reload, go upstairs and drink, and woo the barmaids, in any order I chose, till 1AM. Reloading greatly helped my pistol shooting skills...I learned how to drink straight whiskey (and like it) ...and made love to most of the barmaids over time.....I still have that Rock Chucker, ....and a bad liver....and a few old gray haired ladies that wink at me from time to time.....THANK YOU RCBS!!!

Archived