SASS Wire Forum

Train travel

We just got back today from a train trip from Colorado to Michigan (and back). Took a sleeper overnight to Chicago, spent a few hours there each way, and coach to Ann Arbor. While train travel in the US is far below European standards, I have got to recommend this to my fellow shooters.

It was far more enjoyable and friendly than air travel, less tiring than driving. Each person is allowed two carry-ons (no firearms) up to 50#'s each, and two checked bags (firearms OK) up to 50#'s each. For the mathematically challenged, that is 200 pounds of luggage, no extra charge. Amtrak does go to Albuquerque, where one can rent a car or RV...... And cheap: two people (coach, not sleeper) round-trip Colorado to Michigan, $306. No security delays.

Coach seats have about 24" of room between seats, and are wider than airline. And you get to see some of this country. Also a plus, the food was quite good (the Steak dinner is excellent), like food from a decent quality restaurant. Roomettes come with meals; coach seats, pay as you go. Service was fast and all the train personnel were very helpful.

Some comments on our trip. It was sad to see the steel mills cold and vacant in Gary, Indiana, today. Some towns take pride in having an attractive clean station; others don't. Count Chicago among the "don'ts". Union Station is big and beautiful, but a huge pile of garbage fell off a cart onto the platform, and was still there after two hours, personnel just passing it by without a second look.

All in all, though, we found train travel a very pleasant experience.

Buena suerte,

eGG

(PS: Bendryl or some other aid is recommended for sleeping on the train)

The last two years when my daughter has come home from college for Christmas, she's come home (and gone back) on the California Zephyr. Easier than mom and dad having to go get her, and for her it's quite a scenic trip from Grand Junction to Denver. One of these days Buick and I intend to take that trip ourselves. ;)

No, HC, it was the Southwest Chief ~ LA to Chicago. Formerly the "Super Chief."

The stretch from La Junta to Kansas City was rough. Amtrak runs on BNSF freight tracks to Chicago, and the eastbound tracks have not been improved much for passenger traffic. Westbound was a little smoother, but going over points at turnouts can give you a shake.

Mary, I am hoping to ride the California Zephyr to Reno to visit my brother sometime soon.

eGG

Riding the train from Denver to Glenwood, and on to Grand Junction is great. When I was a kid my best friend moved first to Basalt (near Glenwood) and then to Grand Junction. So each summer I got to ride the train over and back to visit for a couple of weeks.

El Gato: I too love train travel. Used to travel to Oregon to visit Dad, most always took the train. Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland. I love the scenery in the mountains. Food was great. I never had trouble sleeping.

Frazee

There is a effort that seems to be gaining support from the Feds to establish passenger service from Wichia, KS to Oklahoma City. If it happens that will allow service all the way to San Antonio.

FYI air service out of San Antonio is very poor.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

El Gato, count me as another crazy about Trains. Over my lifetime I have ridden countless trains. A lot of time on the IC both the City of New Orleans and The Panama Limited (that one was a DeLux , all Pullman train).I also rode the Santa Fe Super Chief from LA to Chicago in the late 60s , A few rides on the Rock Island Rocket from Memphis to Little Rock as a boy, and also a round trip on southern RR from Atlanta to NYC. While I was in College at Ole Miss (60-64+) We rode the IC (Charted trains) from Oxford to LSU and Oxford to Jackson , MS for games Talking about a hellacious fun time. Then one year my Frat (SAE) Charted a car on the L & N from Memphis to Knoxville for the Ole Miss -Tennessee game. When we got to Knoxville, the L&N dropped our car off next to Neyland Stadium. After the game they picked it up and took us back to Memphis.

I have ridden all over Europe on trains as I was stationed in Germany for four years. I remember a ride from Athens, Greece to Larissa, Greece up on the Albainian Border; As the train stopped briefly in small towns, old ladies came out stood under the windows and had small tables on a long pole. You picked up Suflocky (SP) and put on a few coins and with red wine, it was good. The train was not air conditioned and we were hot and tired 7 hours later.

In the 90s I was in Japan on business often and rode the Bullet Train a few times from Tokyo up to Missawa. And how can I forget, I got married in Germany early one Jan (1980) morning and we caught the Paris Express from Homburg . It stopped briefly in Metz , France, where they attached a French Dining Car. You had to have reservations for lunch, and it came with full "honors', i.e., silver, linen, and crystal. Took three hours to eat & drink a multi course lunch . The scenery was beautiful and food superb. Now that is the way to travel!

I have had a couple of Amtrac trips and plan to do more. But my biggest thrill in railroading were the Summers on 93 and 94 when we were living in an RV and "summering" in Durango, CO. I worked for the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge RR; in 04 I was a Brakeman on the Train. At 63 that summer, I was the third oldest on the crews; best job I ever had, and also one of the dirtiest and toughest! Our Steam Engines burned coal and it is really dirty! I know a lot of you have ridden this train from Durango to Silverton. For those of you who have not, put it on your Bucket list. It is simply one of the most beautiful rides in ALL of RRing.

Yes, I do love train; and II also have a good sized HO scale RR that keeps me busy when I am not shooting.

Cheers, Hoss C.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Sorry about the wrong dates of my time with the D&SNGRR: it was the summers of 03 and 04.

Hoss

Archived