SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1895 45-70

Hoss

Bought a 45-70, got to shoot it the first time today. I was well satisfied by the accuracy. Decent group at 100 yards, shooting offhand, no bracing. Pretty satisfying thump in the shoulder too!

Couple of questions. The spent shell would not eject, had to fish them out by hand. Looking a it ( and I'm no gunsmith) I think the inside ejector tab is broken off. It that an expensive fix? Can just the tab be replaced, or does the whole bolt have to be replaced?

The ejector and spring is back-ordered at Brownells, and runs about $13 or so . Here's the ejector (it's literally a drop-in part):

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Marlin-/1895-sid777.aspx#s21006sid777

They usually get back in stock pretty quickly.

Laz

Go with the one Uno Mas posted. the 95 has a tenancy to not eject aggressively. The WWG ejector is marketed for the guide guns used in bear country where positive ejection could be a matter of life or death.

I contacted the guy I bought the rifle from. He had given it a good cleaning before delivery, and inadvertently left the ejector off. he is mailing it to me, hopefully I can figure out how to install it. I've seen some videos, doesn't look too hard. I need to learn how to disasemble the rifle anyway. Thanks to all for all the pointers.

And if I do have to replace the ejector I will get the heavy duty one. Not that I'm likely to hunt grizzlies, but who knows! If I ever do go grizzly hunting, i'm carrying a 22 for a back up gun. Shoot my guide in the knee so i'll be able to outrun him! :)

I contacted the guy I bought the rifle from. He had given it a good cleaning before delivery, and inadvertently left the ejector off. he is mailing it to me, hopefully I can figure out how to install it. I've seen some videos, doesn't look too hard. I need to learn how to disasemble the rifle anyway. Thanks to all for all the pointers.

And if I do have to replace the ejector I will get the heavy duty one. Not that I'm likely to hunt grizzlies, but who knows! If I ever do go grizzly hunting, i'm carrying a 22 for a back up gun. Shoot my guide in the knee so i'll be able to outrun him! :)

Open the lever, remove the lever screw, and pull out the lever. The bolt will slide out. On the left side of the receiver, you will see a groove with a hole. The ejector sits in the groove with the pin in the hole. The bolt slides over this assembly. Replace the lever, making sure that the bolt is engaged, install the screw, and voila! This is the standard field strip for these guns.

CR

Sorry, guys, I tried the WWG Bear-proof ejector in my Marlin 1895CB .45-70. Yes, it does eject very positively, which is good when you want to go Easter-egg hunting for your brass. It also puts enough tension on the bolt that it stiffens up the action, which I don't want for Cody-Dixon matches! The stock Marlin ejector works just fine for me.

Laz

Hey Hoss,

Welcome to the 45-70 club of fun.

I also have a couple of Marlins in 45-70 along with a Trapdoor and a Sharps.

If you would like a real nice most accurate, cheap load for 100-125 yards PM me. This load came out of the book "Forty Years With The 45-70". It is great for Cody-Dixon. You can shoot it all day without pain.

WJ

I have a Marlin 45/70 Limited II, it is a great gun. Get yourself a Pachmayer decellerator recoil pad. With this pad you can shoot without having tears coming to your eyes, it makes big difference. I just replaced the front sight with a Pedersoli globe, and can break clay pidgeons at 200 yd. Had to paint them white so I could see them.

I'm going to get a recoil pad, cover it up with a leather butt wrap. I aint near as tough as those old timers were!

Ye I know what you mean. I have had black and blue shoulder a few times. The Marlin with factory 405 ammo is hard shooting.

If you reload use a 300 gr. bullet and Pistol powder. Remember those old timers were shooting Black Powder. Even when shooting a 500 gr bullet with Black it is pretty easy shooting. I have shot many out of my H&R Officers Model Trapdoor and Sharps.

CIMG3523-1.jpg

Hope you figured out by now that since the ejector is a drop in part it is also a fall out part anytime the bolt is out.

You get used to looking for it to come out when the bolt is out and you turn the rifle on its right side.

It is nice to have a spare in the tool box--you never know

cr

Hoss, Maybe you would like to try my marlin cowboy, makes that 45/70 feel like a 30-30! :D

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/buckeyeshooter1/guns020.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/buckeyeshooter1/turnbull50ak001.jpg

Hoss, Maybe you would like to try my marlin cowboy, makes that 45/70 feel like a 30-30! :D

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/buckeyeshooter1/guns020.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/buckeyeshooter1/turnbull50ak001.jpg

i'll try most anything....once! I bet a 50 cal in a levergun is a armful.

Part came in, with the help of a utube video I was able to install it. Ejects fine now! Thanks for all the advice.

I do think I may order a spare, I could see how easy that part would be to lose!

Also may do a very little polishing on th bolt and lever. I could see where they rub.

Archived