SASS Wire Forum

Is Lyman Bullet any good for use with Black Powder

And pards , Yes I am aware of the "Big Lube" bullets sold by Dick Dastardly...

But I would prefer a heavyer bullet in .44 than a 200 gr.

Thanks for your imput ...

Jabez Cowboy

I and John Kort have done a lot of testing over many years and have found a much better bullet to use.

Colorado Coffinmaker stated he used APP on another question so I don't understand his answer as to a lot of fouling. I have shot and used BP since 1970 and if you use the correct components you can shoot an entire match and have your guns running the same as they did at stage 1.

If you cast you may want to go to the Accurate Mould site. The owner Tom is a very talented man and makes some of the best moulds being made today.

Lyman moulds were great back about 35 years ago but they have become the least liked mould to cast with today.

The problem with the Big Lube bullets is that they are designed with too big a lube groove and suffer when it comes to shooting for accuracy and longer range.

The original bullet for the 44WCF was the same as the Lyman 427098 of today. Lyman let the moulds be made with a shallow and narrow lube grooves which has hurt it's BP performance.

I talked with Tom about 3-4 years ago and had him make the 43-210B mould for the 44WCF. With my 20-1 alloy it drops a bullet at around 212-215 grains and .430 in size. I size them to .429 and lube with NASA lube.

I don't know what you are shooting but it would serve you well if you looked the site over.

My friend John designed the 43-215C and a few others for BP shooting. He has taken my bullet and hit targets out to 300 yards with ease. The bores are clean and require only a few wet patches followed by a dry patch to clean up. Later

Lyman claims this is "The Bullet" for Cowboy shooting

Jabez, Lyman claims a lot of things, but compared to other mold manufacturers - their molds are not the greatest. Except those made back in the '70's using Ideal cherries which they foolishly sold.

Buy an Accurate 5 cavity for either one of 44 that Fairshake mentioned. You will be pleased as I am with other caliber Accurate molds i cast with

Howdy,

I don't cast for the 44-40, but I do cast for the 38-40. I shoot black powder in almost every match I shoot, both monthly and annual.

I experienced the same problem as Fairshake with the Big Lube bullets-too much lube for the high accuracey I desire. I sight in and test all my CAS rifles at 50yds, 10-shot groups on paper.

I made a custom 6-cavity mold based on the old 2-lube groove Ideal design. It works great. I lube them with a beeswax/olive oil mix and shoot them with a case full of KIK 2fg powder.

Ideal knew what they were doing, and my bullet does not foul out during hot dry weather, rapid fire.

I don't shoot a .44, but the Lyman 454190 .45 Colt bullet with two lube grooves

shoots fine in my 1873 rifle. Lubed with a 90-10 Beeswax/olive oil mix, it shoots

fine all day with no wiping needed, accuracy remains great, and the lube "star" deposit

at the muzzle indicates the lube is sufficient for a 24 inch barrel. My Lyman mold is

about 50 years old, I don't know if Lyman has changed it any in current production.

My loads are a "full case" of BP or Pyrodex, compressed around 1/8 inch, no wads or anything.

Archived