Chicago cops to potential shooters: We're watching you
CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -

Chicago Police are set to kick off an experiment Friday in a
neighborhood on the city's West Side, hoping to alert would-be
criminals that they're being watched and face stiff penalties if they're
convicted of crimes.

In the next few months, hundreds of gang members who police say are
the "worst of the worst" will be getting letters from their local police
commander, warning them of the consequences if they commit a crime.

The "custom notifications" come after police identified more than 400
"hot people" across the city who are most likely to be involved in
often fatal shootings that have drawn national attention to gang
violence.

"We're saying, `We know who you are, we know what you do and your
chance of dying in a homicide is much greater than John Q. Citizen,"'
said Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy.

"At this point, we're putting them on notice, that if you commit
these crimes, we will follow you and we'll prosecute you to the
fullest," Chicago Police Commander Barb West explains.

The effort is limited to a single district in the Austin
neighborhood, though police hope to expand the practice as gang violence
escalates. They're also considering tapping into so-called
"influentials" -- people such as coaches and pastors who may be able to
accompany police on future visits.

They're also considering whether to use the tactic in special
situations, such as when they think someone may be involved in a
retaliatory shooting.

"We are looking to reach out and touch those individuals who are
responsible for the violence in the city," said Debra Kirby, who heads
the department's Bureau of Organizational Development.

Think any of the aldermen will get the letters?

somehow I think they would see this as a challenge to them to see how long they can go without being caught... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I see that Chicago's leaders are playing stupid again. The bad news is................................ they're winning!!!

So, they're sending out 400 letters to "the worst criminals" in the city of Chicago. Soooo, if they tally up all the criminal element that they know, are there more criminals than Chicago Police??

I've got a feeling the police will be on the short end of the ratio.

Barry Sloe

Is it in the water??? The folks in Chicago not only put up with this, but they keep supporting and re-electing those responsible.

Harvey

Who's Dad was raised in south Chicago and GOT OUT!

That is the part I don't understand, Harvey. They keep re-electing the same idiots and then wonder why things don't get better.

Look at Congress - approval rating in large shoe-size range, but if an election were to be held tomorrow, 95% of those capons would be reelected.

From what you hear the prison systems across the country are "full or overcrowded" & they wouldn't have the room to lock up all the criminals if they actually used all the existing laws & didn't cut plea deals & let them out early.

Next was that prosecuting all the criminals would "overburden" the judicial system.

A fine kettle of fish.

From what you hear the prison systems across the country are "full or overcrowded" & they wouldn't have the room to lock up all the criminals if they actually used all the existing laws & didn't cut plea deals & let them out early.

Next was that prosecuting all the criminals would "overburden" the judicial system.

A fine kettle of fish.

Sounds to me like, we should give the fish life sentences and fry the criminals.

Double the size of the state prison system and then have truth in sentencing like the Feds do. Three strikes and you're out law will help too. We could turn Detroit into a penal colony. Lots of vacant buildings.

Double the size of the state prison system and then have truth in sentencing like the Feds do. Three strikes and you're out law will help too. We could turn Detroit into a penal colony. Lots of vacant buildings.

But....that's expensive. No one wants to pay for it unfortunately. Nobody wants a new prison in their back yard. But everybody wants the criminals off the streets.

Politicians would rather get tax breaks for their corporate campaign contributors than budget money for prisons.

With the state of the public education in Chicago, do the police actually expect the criminal to be able to read this nice polite letter?

Using gang sign language in cartoon format :lol:

I remember a close friend, who's father-in-law was a cop in Chicago, actually a Detective. He told us there are areas in Chicago even the cops don't like, or go at nights. If its that way still today, I don't know.

Place called the "Hill" in Joliet was the same.

Heard some big time criminals actually enjoy their prison times, they can safely run their organization from within with no worries. MT

But....that's expensive. No one wants to pay for it unfortunately. Nobody wants a new prison in their back yard. But everybody wants the criminals off the streets.

Politicians would rather get tax breaks for their corporate campaign contributors than budget money for prisons.

HOW MUCH COULD SOME RAZOR WIRE AND SOME MA DUECES COST.

I'm missing something...if the criminal's address is known, why not just arrest him? Guess one needs to be a LEO to understand something like that...

HOW MUCH COULD SOME RAZOR WIRE AND SOME MA DUECES COST.

On the razor wire. When I first started my consultant Business up, my insurance man came and told me I should consider taking it down from the top of the fence which surrounded the building I was renting. he said even if a criminal tried to break in, and got injured, I could be liable in a court and pay damages. MT

I have a lot of family that are and were Chicago PD. my aunt was deputy superintendent when she retired a few years ago. I texted her about this just this morning and asked if it was a joke. She called back laughing. Apparently most of the CPD thinks this just as stupid of an idea as we do.

JEL

My son's friend Trent .

Just got robbed at gun point in Shitcago Friday Night.

My son's friend Trent .

Just got robbed at gun point in Shitcago Friday Night.

Trent shoulda had copies of the letter to hand out to potential muggers. Must be his fault for not being prepared. -_-

At least, that seems to be the attitude put forth by many of our "leaders" these days. <_<

On the razor wire. When I first started my consultant Business up, my insurance man came and told me I should consider taking it down from the top of the fence which surrounded the building I was renting. he said even if a criminal tried to break in, and got injured, I could be liable in a court and pay damages. MT

That is what the Ma Deuce is going to take care of.

"We are looking to reach out and touch those individuals who are
responsible for the violence in the city," said Debra Kirby, who heads
the department's Bureau of Organizational Development.

Think any of the aldermen will get the letters?

If you're going to "reach out and touch them" why don't you do it with a pair of stainless bracelets? Giving them a letter they probably can't read won't do you much good.

Is it in the water??? The folks in Chicago not only put up with this, but they keep supporting and re-electing those responsible.

Harvey

Who's Dad was raised in south Chicago and GOT OUT!

As long as the gimme-pigs, free stuff junkies and the brain-dead outnumber and outvote everybody else in Chicago, that's the way it always will be.

Yep,

then there are the folks in Detroit. Apparently a long-standing competition in voter stupidity between the two cities................

I saw this on a motorcycle helmet the other day. "The rat race is over! The rats have won!!!"

I though it was fairly appropriate for this and other current subjects.

Archived