SASS Wire Forum

Wm Moore & Company Shotgun

Swift Stoney 49735

Thanks Rye and Bad Hand but those were two of the places I looked first. For a shotgun that was made in the mid 1800s, it is in great shape except for the left side lock and hammer. I have been looking for the parts for almost a year and am about ready to call an end to the project and just part out the gun. Sad.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but it sounds like you need a REAL gunsmith. Someone with a mill and a lathe that knows how to use them.

Thanks Boon Doggle and Jack. I have both a lathe and mill and quite a bit of experience using them. Have you looked at a 1800s hammer? I believe I would come closer to sand cast one than trying to mill it. As to the hammer pivot system, that is not as difficult and could be done on the mill but the time and effort would make it unprofitable to undertake. I think it is just one of those situations where you have to weigh the pros and cons and make a rational decision. As I said previously, I hate it because the gun is in good shape otherwise. Guess I could just put it in a corner of the shop and keep checking my sources to see if anything come available.

I am always amazed at the skill and different methods out there in doing that sort of thing. If you decide to tackle it by cutting one out or casting it, I would be interested in seeing pictures!

Larry makes it all look so easy on his 90 second videos that Midway posts on YouTube, but I know the skill and work involved are not so.

Midway and Brownells both make some rather complex jobs appear quite simple in their videos. The problem with sand casting is that I only have the right hammer and need the left so I am without a master from which to make a mold. As I mentioned before, it is probably time for me to retire this rascal for a bit and work on something that is more current. It is just one of those projects that seems to sit around forever and as such annoys a detailed person such as myself.

I see you are from the great state of AL.In fact, you live in the same town as my sister and her husband. She is a pharmacist and he owns and operates a cattle farm outside of town. I keep saying I am going to shoot the AL state match but something always seems to come up at the last minute. Plus, Jan (Kid Nama) and I are somewhat afraid of the range due to the bullet splatter. The one year we did shoot a member of our posse was cut on the neck to the point of needing medical attention. Plus the "mystery" stage is a might scary from a safety point of view. We love the AL folks and really enjoy seeing and shooting with them at other matches.

Here's some sources from my files. I don't know if all of them are still in business, but perhaps you could check them out to see what they can do for you.

I do hope you can find something you can use from one of these sources:

The Country Gunsmith
PO Box 1771
Dayton, TX 77535
www.countrygunsmith.net
Phone 936-257-1079

Jack First, Inc.
1201 Trubine Drive
Rapid City, SD 57703
Phone 605-343-9544

Bob's Gun Shop
P. O. Box 200
Royal, AR 71968
www.gun-parts.com
Phone 501-767-1970

EMPIRE GUN SHOP

Danville PA

570-275-5482

craig donato

Outback Parts, Illinois

Sarco, Inc.
P. O. Box 98
323 Union Street
Sterling, NJ 07980
www.sarcoinc.com
Phone 908-647-3800

EDIT:EDIT

Also check eBay and use a number of creative search strings, such as "antique shotgun hammer" or :"shotgun parts" or "unknown shotgun parts," etc.

Also check GunBroker and query similar strings.

Cat, thanks for the additional resources. I am familiar with Jack First and Bob's but not the others. I stay glued to Gunbroker and Ebay in hopes someone will decide to part one out but thus far no luck.

Train Robber, the gun is such an old classic I am reluctant to deviate from the original. While it is true it will be a wall hanger, I would like to keep it as original as possible.

Archived