SASS Wire Forum

Value of COLT pistol: forgive me ifn it ain't Cowboy

Widder, SASS #59054

My dad passed away at age 85 two years back and left this pistol to my older brother. During his younger years, he was a reserve Police officer and this was his pistol.

We would like to know a reasonable value based on this description..... if possible.

COLT

on the barrel: Pocket Positive .32 Police ctg.

YES, it is a double action and functions perfect and locks up tight.

The 'Rampant Colt' is barely visible on the frame right above the left side grip panel.

3.5" barrel

The grip panels are either hard rubber or black plastic and are of the 'round butt' style (or close resemblance).

the word 'COLT' is stamped into each grip panel and is clearly readable.

It is a 6 shot revolver.

Serial number is 73xxx

The blueing ain't so good anymore but its still super solid. All the screws appear to be original and, the front site is a round blade and is still fixed solid as though its part of the barrel. The rear site is a shallow groove in the top strap.

it functions perfect.

For those of you in the know, do ya have any idea as to the value?

many thanks

..........Widder

Cherrys (in Greensboro) prices double-action Colts that are not rare in the $300-400 range with 50% finish. Any police marking or such may increase the value a bit. They had a Danville, VA police marked .38 Colt last year with about 70% finish for $450.

The .32 is a very shootable gun but not much of a man-stopper. The S&W and Colt rounds were identical with the only differences being the short and long caselength. This was not the case with the .38s.

Yep, with those old guns, it's all about condition. TB's pricing is in line for what I was seeing before the panic. Considering this is not a caliber that has been in big demand during the panic, it probably would not have seen much of a markup in the last year.

A picture or two might help put a sharper point on the pricing. Or a real "NRA condition" assessment.

Good luck, GJ

Yup, it's PRICELESS!!

My dad has a 2nd Generation Colt Single Action in 38 special. Some holster wear on it, but the key element is that it was never converted to 357 magnum. It is indeed a rare piece as far as collectors go.

He was discussing the gun's value on the collectables market and what it would be worth to me when he died. I pointed out that it had been a wedding gift from my mom to him when they were newly married and barely had two nickels to rub together. It is PRICELESS to me and will never be sold, no matter what the collectors say. :)

Priceless is correct.

But my older brother is wanting to make sure that its insured correctly in his homeowners policy.

Because of my unfamiliarity on these pistols, I told him it could be worth $200 or $1000. I had no idea.

This pistol was the very FIRST pistol I ever shot. Dad let me shoot it ONE time while up my Grandpa's farm. I was about 8 or 10. Anyhow, it was a HAND CANNON to me. WOW, what a rush. and LOUD!

Thanks everyone for all the info. I think I'll tell him to make sure its valued close to $400+ bucks.

..........Widder

My wife's grandfather had one just like this, he carried it in his pocket when he was operating a cafe near a railroad depot in southern Missouri. The gun is presently owned by my brother-in'law, and I would give him $400 for it in a flash if he ever decided to sell it. I hope you and your brother get some ammo and shoot it occasionally, just to let it know it is loved.

Archived