SASS Wire Forum

50-70 trail boss

evil dogooder

Anybody have a load for a pedersoli sp? Sharps 50-70 using trail boss?

I have wondered about this myself.

I seen very little smokeless reloading data for .50-70, and Trailboss was not one of the ones I saw.

Some would say that no gun, not even a newly made one, should use smokeless in this caliber.

When all is said and done, I just don't know if it's possible.

I suggest you give Hodgdon a call. They have been known to have data available for loads that are not as popular as others and therefore not published on their website. If you can get hold of Birdshot, either here or at Hodgdon, he may be able to help you out.

Hodgdon has a formula on its website for determining the amount of Trailboss to use in a cartridge for which they don't provide loads. It's in the drop down menu on the home page, below the reloading data. I have just loaded some 32 Win Spec based on their formula and the results were quite satisfactory.

Thanks boon doggle

Loaded some up and they sure are pussy cats

I have tried Trailboss in my 45/70's a Marlin and Pedersoli Sharps, and I didn't like it. It was a light recoil type load, but too light for me. Actually the burn rate for Trailboss is only about 4 from the top as being a very fast powder and the pressure it up there. The formula that Hodgdon has, should work in the 50/70. I went back to my original light load of Hodgdon 4198.

Archived