SASS Wire Forum

I have come seeking forgiveness.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I don't think this one came from the factory drilled and tapped, here's why...

Only 3 of the 4 holes went thru, the other it looks like they aborted while drilling, it's ugly. The three holes go all the way thru, you can see the bolt under them. I do want plugs in there, but am unsure of the threads I need.

Well, I am betting that Marlin drilled them mounting holes and that they will accept the factory taps.

But, and there is always a but, you could use your SMART PHONEY and call Marlin in the morning and ask them.

The are never countersunk. I have to admit that I have never removed the set screws from my Virtual Marlins. But I would call them folks at Marlin and ask. It will only cost you a phone call.

The screws are cosmetic only so I would imagine that they are snugged level with the top of the receiver.

Maybe some locktite or nail polish is used to hold them in place.

What makes me thunk that they didn't do it is that the one farthest forward isn't drilled all the way thru. Although I guess it's possible that the head broke off the plug screw, I didn't look real close at it, and my eyes suck. I'd have to get a mag glass and look closer. Although that does offer a plausible explanation...

That will have to wait, it's already back in the safe for the night. I do want something in them holes though as they go thru to the receiver where the bolt lives, don't want crud getting in there.

Brownells want's 3 bucks and change each, Midway 2.99 each. The picture at Midway looks almost like they are supposed to bottom out in the receiver metal, as it it's not drilled all the way thru...

OK, he said the three rear holes are thru holes, and the front one is stopped by the barrel. He figured the fill screws would need to be loc tited.

This video would support that the rear three are thru holes, whew, I was starting to wonder...

Take four tap screws and call Okie in the morning.

Time to take Jack out to water the grass and then I am going to hit the showers and go to bed.

See ya all Friday, Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

Grizz

those plugs are avalable , most smiths , have a screw asst , that will have em in it .

I know they are the first to be used most of ther time , I should order a couple doz of em

never seem to think of it when i order parts :huh:

Ya Think , I would be smart enough to make an order list :blink:

CB but I ain't that orgnized :lol:

You really expected customer service to be of much help? Got the screws ordered, but they won't be here in time. So, can I, or should I shoot it with those holes open? I might could go to Lowes and get them to match the thread based on the long ones I took out and get some pan head shorter ones to make do with.

Asked if those holes should go all the way thru, parts guy said 'I wouldn't think so..." but he didn't know for sure.

Yeah, I can't think of a reason not to shoot it, the bolt will be closed and have the cartridge in the chamber, so as long as I don't let dirt or whatever get in the holes, I should be good.

BTW, ordering the screws from Marlin was about a buck less per screw, no clue how shipping compared.

So I get all the way thru the order before they tell me there are in the middle of inventory and nothing will ship for at least a week. If I had known that up front, I'd have paid the buck more per to Brownells or Midway, but what can ya do. It would be iffy if I'd get them in time from anywhere else anyway.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, Grizz. Long distance shooting ain't yer forte.

Youse is gonna need to ricochet offn that big ole rock over yonder, then the tree

down by the berm and come in on the target from the back side. I'll hold yer drink while you try it.

Oh heck I know that. I'll be luck if'n I hit the target once outta five tries. But the 30-30 has been in the safe for years and at least this kinda justifies me keeping it. For that matter I might be lucky if I can even see the target :D

Sure I have dreams of hitting 5 for 5, but certainly no expectations of being able to do it.

Archived