SASS Wire Forum

Our area is experiencing a decline in interest in CAS

Our largest club in this area has seen attendance drop (figures are guesses) from about 100 shooters a match to about 55 to 80. Another club is down by about half. Another has just started picking up in the attendance department. Another that used to get 55 to 75 per match is down to about 20 per match. Your need to understand that these figures are approximate and not exact. Still it shows a trend that I have been attributing to the economy. Just curious to see if this is national problem, if other areas are coming back etc?

Cherokee Gambler.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just the economy. It's the difficulty in getting reloading supplies as well.

As a commercial reloader, I see the ups and downs for ammunition requests.

Comparing 2012 to 2013, total rounds reloaded for so far for 2013 are down 65% from 2012.

Basically, I am not working much.

Numbers are pretty stable here...

Has there been an increase in the number of clubs in your area?

Competing target/stage philosophies?

Gotta look at all the variables...do a spreadsheet...computer analysis...then send out for some focus groups...to find the real answer.

Cheers!

Phantom

As a commercial reloader, I see the ups and downs for ammunition requests.

Comparing 2012 to 2013, total rounds reloaded for so far for 2013 are down 65% from 2012.

Basically, I am not working much.

WOW...now that's your real no BS no focus group required number right there. I wonder if part of that could be due to the hoarding in 2012 into 2013 and now people have some back stock of ammo? Just guessing because in my own case I shot more, but haven't had to reorder because I bought plenty of components before, during and after the wild times.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts especially in light of record ##'s at some of the larger shoots. At the same time EOT had a good turnout of shooters, the number of vendors was down significantly.

Attendance is light here and at a nearby club. I agree it's because of the economy and reloading components. We did a cowboy barbeque a couple months ago and had folks come out of the woodwork. Also, people with youngsters are busy during the summer with other things. Between CAS, fishing, and grandkids, I have to juggle my schedule. As clubs we need to just try and offer more, I think.

There are many things that can cause a decrease in participation. Economics, shortage of ammo, and or components, extreme summer heat, transportation costs, uninteresting or poorly written stages, Small and Far targets vs.Big and Close, or a combination of several of these things.

Take a close and objective look at your local situation, and ask some questions. Particularly of those that have quit attending. Find out the root cause of the decrease in attendance. If you search hard enough you will discover the true cause (s).

There may be nothing you can do to correct the attendance problem, and then again some changes may be in order to help correct the situation.

Here in my area, the better ran clubs are seeing steady attendance, and some growth, while the Clubs that don't cater to the shooters wants, have begun to see declines. Not saying that this is your problem, but listening to your shooters wants and needs and doing what you can to satisfy those wants and needs, can go a long way toward stabilizing attendance and producing some growth.

Each Club and Area will present it's own set of problems to deal with, and subjectively studying and finding solutions to those problems will usually do wonders in maintaining a healthy attendance. I seriously do not think that CAS is losing it's appeal, but it's easy for a Club to lose it's appeal by not keeping the scenario's interesting, competitive, and exciting. Keep the fun at a high ratio, and the shooters will find a way to attend.

RBK

The last two matches I attended had maybe ten shooters each. :(

No primers, no powder, no bullets, and high fuel prices.

The numbers are steady and climbing here in Michigan .

I see new faces at just about every local shoot .

In my area in SoCal the numbers seem to be up at the well run matches. Even the ones that have some issues seem to be increasing in shooters each month. At The Cowboys in Norco the turnout is always 100+ for the monthly but our last semi annual match was not well attended IMHO. There's always quite a few new shooters there for the school and it seems like a few of them come back to try a real match. The Cajon Cowboys have done amazing things to their range and the attendance is way up so their efforts are paying off. Our small group in Escondido is pushing 50 each match and Dulzura seems to be holding its own. Our fuel costs are very high and components are scarce also. I shoot four or five matches a month and it seems like there are new shooters at nearly all of them.

The trends in our area are over the last five or so years. No new clubs have been added in that time. Problems getting reloading supplies are definitly real right now but over the last five years, that has not always been the case. I know some of the people I have been shooting with have devoted their shooting money to taking professional combat arms training but that is a very few. One event during this time was the dropping out of a leadership role of one of the strongest couples. Maybe the area needs someone else to step up. Lord knows their replacements are good people but not the leaders the older couple were.

I am one of the people who has dropped out. My wife and I along with my sister, brother-in-law, grandson and granddaughter were hardly ever absent. Saturday was the first match I have attended in over a year and a half. Health problems have kept my wife and I out the last couple years, which explains the lack of attendance by the grandkids. My brother-in-law has arthritis like I do and my sister won't go without him. Maybe too many are getting old with not enough recruiting going on. I'll bet the folks who reported increases are good recruiters.

The folks at the last match were trying to make some sense of what was happening. That got me to wondering if all the areas were the same or if we were an exception. Sounds like a few are having problems and some aren't. Must just be what happens in the different areas.

At any rate I am going to shoot again when ever I feel good. I had a ball Saturday.

Regards, Cherokee Gambler

It's not just the economy. It's the difficulty in getting reloading supplies as well.

Reloading components have been hard to find since the beginning of the year but I'm seeing primers/powder coming back enough to keep going. Picked up 6k this weekend.. Bullets have always been there, on line.

UB, I picked up 5k primers the same weekend that the last time I saw you, in or near your backyard.

I see attendance down around my parts because of: different local clubs putting on their annual, back-to-back-to-back and that makes people having to decide which ones to attend and which to skip, solely because of timing.

Shooter age continues to increase and people drop out for medical resons, been there-done that, quite feeding the bear thingy, and few new shooters.to replace.

It is plain expensive to travel and shoot.. A fair number of shooters are willing to spend $10-15k to travel the circuit and on top, have the time. Good for them.

Blastmaster

As someone that is new to SASS, even with the ammo difficulties, maybe I can give some perspective as a newbee to the more experienced clubs. Before I took the plunge, I was always interested because of my love of Old West history, but the initial gear costs were a little scary, so i watched a few matches first at a couple of different locations, and I observed both sides, a growing club, and a stagnant club. One club appeared to be kind of "clickish," with obvious groups of friends hanging together, and the new people who were there to shoot were just kind of hanging around by themselves, looking like they were having fun, but also looking a little confused and alone. The other group was like one big family, cheering each other on, and nearly grabbing new people to drag them into conversations and checking out each others' gear. I will let you guess which group is adding shooters and which is stagnant.

Personally, when I shoot with the same people each week, it is easy for me to gravitate toward my friends, but it is a good reminder that all SASS shooters are friends and the survival of the sport requires us all to be ambassadors.

Please don't take this as a criticism of any group, but just a friendly reminder of how a newcomer sometimes feels and it may impact whether they come back or give up, especially when they are confused and slow. As far as other people drifting away, I have no idea.

In my area in SoCal the numbers seem to be up at the well run matches. Even the ones that have some issues seem to be increasing in shooters each month. At The Cowboys in Norco the turnout is always 100+ for the monthly but our last semi annual match was not well attended IMHO. There's always quite a few new shooters there for the school and it seems like a few of them come back to try a real match. The Cajon Cowboys have done amazing things to their range and the attendance is way up so their efforts are paying off. Our small group in Escondido is pushing 50 each match and Dulzura seems to be holding its own. Our fuel costs are very high and components are scarce also. I shoot four or five matches a month and it seems like there are new shooters at nearly all of them.

Yul called it right for The Cowboys.

January - 85 Shooters

February - rained out

March - 122 Shooters

April - blown out

May - Ambush at Mill Creek 3 day match 180+ shooters

June - 92 Shooters (same week as EoT and a LOT of Cowboys go to EoT)

I should also add that our New Shooter's Classes on those same days averaged 20 folks.

Last year we averaged 130 shooters a each month.

Lotta wind blowing in the face of things that makes a difference.

As above, how well run the outfit is will make a huge difference. Lets face it, with the costs what they have become, Marlins not worth crap means a '73, just for starters, and ammo and component availability/costs, the overall jobs picture in some areas means more folks on the margins squeezed out, the continued effects of the housing crisis which for some have only begun to really bite hard the last couple of years as mortgage resets and underwater loans have eaten savings, medical costs and insurance rates, and on and on it goes......

For many this was never a "cheap" sport, but if one or more of the above issues has hit YOUR house, CAS is one high-cost, totally discretionary thing that goes out the window FIRST.....

Personally my life has been a mess, turned upside down financially by medical costs and marital upheaval and a host of other factors, I simply put the guns up, stopped eating out, stopped a lot of things in order to weather the storm. Any of three or four things I've been through might have done it, but the perfect storm of expenses has made CAS a "next year" objective for me at this point.....

A little more information from my point of view.

I reload for new shooters coming in to the sport that have not yet gotten in to reloading and I have regular customers who don't have time or the interest to reload.

If the new shooter stays with it, they usually get in to reloading their own. I encourage them to do so. I will give advise on how to get started with equipment and loading data that I use in my shop to those who ask.

I am seeing fewer and fewer new shooters. Some of my regular customers have said they are doing more with their families that is not shooting not related. They still attend a shoot or two a month but not every weekend like a couple of years ago.

Reloading components are out there. I may have more sources than those who reload for themselves. This maybe due to the size of my orders and I use OME components that are not for retail sales.

I do have to contact several suppliers for find powders. But I try to keep enough on the shelf to get me thought the waiting for back orders.

During this shortage and the one 5 years ago, I did not miss a single order delivery date. My hair did go very gray though.

I have lost my suppliers that had reasonable cost shot. The current places I can get shot, the pricing is so high that I no longer provide shotgun reloading. I can only suggest buying new shotgun rounds. I don't even load shotgun for myself.

=============

Good news. When I order components, they are arriving faster than 6 months ago. I am usually told 4 to 6 weeks and see them in 2 or 3 weeks. Some times in days, if I call at the right time.

Bad news! Sorry, I do not sell components.

=============

Just letting everyone know that it appears that things are slowly getting better.

I still can't find .22s at a reasonable price, either.

Being new to CAS myself I do have to agree with stirrup about the difference in clubs. My first time watching a match I felt like an outsider as I only got a hello from 2 people there. And that was all that was said as they just kept walking by. I did like watching the match so decided to go again. Well I ended up at a match with a club that was not SASS affiliated. When I got there I was immediately invited to join in the meeting. Got to talk to many of the folks there and decided to start shooting. Well the first club had a problem with the range they were at so they are trying to go back to where they were originally. If they do I will try going there as it is closer.

The only reason I will be able to start shooting is because of the help from people here on the wire. But I do know that if I wasn't the type to give a group another chance I would not be going to the first club. And probably wouldn't have thought about getting into shooting if it hadn't been for the second club.

Gas prices locally are declining so that is not the problem it is elsewhere. We lose shooters due to health problems and changing interests. Recruitment is down since few prospects can get the guns and ammo needed to start. Ammo and component shortages are the big impact. Shooters are cutting back on the number of matches they attend to preserve supplies. One family with a buckaoo quit shooting since they can't find .22s for their son. Outside CAS, a small local range I belong to has pretty much discontinued matches of any kind since so few of their members have ammo. I will shoot an underattended modern action match Saturday that is normally jam packed during the warm months of the year. The only shooting sports not suffering are shotgun events. Locally we can easily buy all the shotgun shells we want though the supply of 209 primers is spotty.

Don't forget about the abundance of summertime activities competing for our time. As some have stated I believe It is more about all of the possibilities for decline (if there is any) than any one or few things. I know that there is no way for me to shoot matches as much as I would like. The summer months and life in general is going by so fast for me I have to think for a minute just to remember what I did last week......or yesterday in some cases.

I gotta slow down a little!

I too can provide a new shooters perspective, as I attended my first match as a shooter last Sunday. Just a little background first: I started becoming interested a couple of years ago when a co-worker would bring in his copy of the Chronicle. (Reason 1 why shooters are not beating down the doors in my area: No one invites them and it’s not very well advertised in PA.)

Since I had been shooting IDPA, I pretty much knew the routine: General Rule: Rule 1) Stay Safe and Rule 2) Have Fun. I attended the PA State Championship Match in June, just to watch, talk to the shooters, visit with the vendors and get ideas. It was surely something I could see myself doing. As a result, I opened my wallet and purchased the basics. (Reason 2 why I think people in my area do not find themselves at matches: Initial startup costs for guns, ammo, outfit and all the little things that are nice to have)

When I arrived at the match, the regulars were gathered in small groups, catching up on things. After I registered for a posse, I was called up in front of the group and introduced as a new shooter. There were comments that my SASS number had one too many numbers (most of the posse had 5 digit SASS#s). From that point on, I was welcomed as part of the crowd. I was shown how to perform my posse duties at the loading and unloading tables, setting up targets, picking up shells and remembering who I followed.

I can say, with no reservation, that from the way I was treated, it was one of the best experiences, with the greatest bunch of people I have ever met. Friendly, helpful, treating me like they had known me for years. When my rifle jammed, there were at least three that offered the use of theirs and would not take anything for using their ammo.

There is a whole lot I need to learn, but it looks like it’s going to be a fun ride with a large number of new friends. (Reason 1 for coming back: New friends, get to shoot guns and have great fun).

No doubt, it cost more to shoot now days, but I've never seen the need greater than right now to support ALL of the clubs withing your area. That even goes for the clubs who don't support you! Our local club members do a good job of supporting the other clubs in our area. Most other clubs generally enjoy a good turn out from our local club membership, and most of them even enjoy dual memberships. Unfortunately there are folks who just don't support anyone other than themselves. But, being a "Stand alone" club will in the long run be the death blow to CAS. If these folks don't start supporting their neighbors it will lead to a decline in the number of shooters available, which will certainly cut down upon the places to shoot and the overall enjoyment. I strongly erg everyone to support the clubs in your area. It is to everyone's betterment.

Snakebite

Years ago people told me that CAS had no future. Once the boomers raised on Gunsmoke died CAS would die. So far I haven't seen that, but I have seen a lot of older people leave. One of the problems with aliases is we don't always know what happens to folks as they face financial and health problems. At the same time I have watched a lot of younger people begin their journey. I hear the concern about clickishness, but people do want to talk to their friends. Of course, we all have to be willing to reach out to new people.

Here is a question. How are the other shooting sports doing?

We have a really nice turnout at Paradise Pass, IMO. We are getting shooters from all over. It's nice to get the comments about the club that we do. And again, IMHO, we have a darn fine operation.

As someone that is new to SASS, even with the ammo difficulties, maybe I can give some perspective as a newbee to the more experienced clubs. Before I took the plunge, I was always interested because of my love of Old West history, but the initial gear costs were a little scary, so i watched a few matches first at a couple of different locations, and I observed both sides, a growing club, and a stagnant club. One club appeared to be kind of "clickish," with obvious groups of friends hanging together, and the new people who were there to shoot were just kind of hanging around by themselves, looking like they were having fun, but also looking a little confused and alone. The other group was like one big family, cheering each other on, and nearly grabbing new people to drag them into conversations and checking out each others' gear. I will let you guess which group is adding shooters and which is stagnant.

Personally, when I shoot with the same people each week, it is easy for me to gravitate toward my friends, but it is a good reminder that all SASS shooters are friends and the survival of the sport requires us all to be ambassadors.

Please don't take this as a criticism of any group, but just a friendly reminder of how a newcomer sometimes feels and it may impact whether they come back or give up, especially when they are confused and slow. As far as other people drifting away, I have no idea.

+1

I shoot with 3 local clubs in the panhandle area of Florida. One club averages 30-40 shooters every month, depending on weather (rain). Another club averages 8-10 shooters, regardless of weather.

The third club changed location last fall to a new range. Prior to the move, average shooter count was 9-12. Since the move, we have averaged over 20 shooters each month. At the old range, which wasn't convenient to any highway or town in the area, everyone said "I would love to come shoot with yall but its just too dang far to drive". Location made all the difference.

Holler

All of the things mentioned effect attendance. I would offer that gas isn't one of them. The price has gone up and down for the last 3 years. yeah it's $3.85 a gallon and maybe you don't drive to the long distance matches.

Ammo yes the cost and availability is a problem. But if you have it, why wouldn't you shoot it instead of not shooting and waiting until the stuff is more available.

I think there are 3 things that are contributing to the decline. 1. Our membership is aging. It's getting more and more difficult for some to get out and they physically can't handle it. 2. There isn't a replacement element for the ones who drop out. Younger people either can't afford the cost of the equipment and the whole costuming thing adds to the cost. And they weren't part of growing up with the TV and movie cowboy hero's we all are remembering. 3. Apathy. People are getting burned out and aren't putting as much effort int o getting out and shooting. Our club averages 30 shooters in the summer months. ANd we always had a group that would come out and camp at the range for the weekend. Practice, socialize, and potlucks. Now hardly anyone does. 4th of July we held an event called Fernleystock, local town of Fernley. We would make it a 3 or 4 day weekend. We had Wild Bunch. Beach Chair 22's, practice, night shoots etc. this last 4th....no one wanted to come out. Same group of people so it's not because the club membership has changed.

I personally think that SASS has about 10 more years of participation before all of us old farts just aren't around or just can't get out like we used to. The organization needs to somehow get some young blood interested or we're out of business.

Ike

...I think there are 3 things that are contributing to the decline. 1. Our membership is aging. It's getting more and more difficult for some to get out and they physically can't handle it. 2. There isn't a replacement element for the ones who drop out. Younger people either can't afford the cost of the equipment and the whole costuming thing adds to the cost. And they weren't part of growing up with the TV and movie cowboy hero's we all are remembering. 3. Apathy. People are getting burned out and aren't putting as much effort int o getting out and shooting. Our club averages 30 shooters in the summer months. ANd we always had a group that would come out and camp at the range for the weekend. Practice, socialize, and potlucks. Now hardly anyone does. ....Ike

I'd agree with you.

Mary and I used to buy a table at a local gun show and dress up and promote SASS. Didn't get to many new members so we gave it up. Everybody thought it was neat but few tried it. I'll bet in the five years we did that we didn't get more than five new shooters. Most of the young shooters in our area have gone to IPSC. If I was younger I think I would too. It is more exciting.

Local numbers dropped of in 2007-2008 due to the economy, 2010-2012 due to a lack of new shooters (to replace shooters who stopped coming because of age/health) and since last December because of ammo/reloading components. I think about the price of reloading equipment and the shortage of guns (when did you last see a Marlin 1894 in a used rack). I admire anyone who has the tenacity to start shooting CAS right now. The startup task is much greater in than in times past. We should continue to encourage guys and gals who want to start.

Shooters are looking at less expensive ways to enjoy shooting. High power rifle shooters may look at smallbore prone. Sporting clays can take up as much time as four rounds of skeet or trap with only 40% of the shells fired. Would a Saturday match be more popular with four normal 10-10-4 stages, one pistol stage (ten rounds) and one longgun stage (10+6)? I donna know. How about 5-10-4 stage shot with only one pistol? I donna know.

My $.02 worth of thought....

I read this end to end. Did anyone notice that EOT was dominated by shooters under 25 y/o? Not just a few...DOMINATED...as in owned.

Savage Sam, Rattlesnake Wrangler, Slicks Sharp Shooter, Missoui Lefty, Holy Terror, Badlands Bud,Sage Chick.....I could go on and don't mean to leave anyone out that's just from memory!

500 shooters at EOT which is rebuilding from change of venue; change of mgmt and change of attitude; WR is sold out with record numbers; Bordertown sold out in 8 days!; Comin At Cha has sold out for years.

This thread reads more like a bunch of old farts looking the wrong way down the railroad tracks but can't hear the rumble coming from behind them.

More people than ever in US history have bought guns. They'll want to shoot them! Just like you they won't all want to look like GI Joe or Erckle in a fishing vest.

Bro King...Like it or not, this game is a bunch of Old Farts, and it is the Old Farts who will determine the future. So, it is no surprise that the Kids "Dominate" the winner's circle... . just about any kid can kick a Old Farts Butt! That is nothing news. The real factor here is who truly "Dominates" the game... not just the winner's circle..... THE GAME. If the Old Farts stepped aside right now, there would not be enough Kids to make this thing run for 30 min. This thread is not a bunch of Old Farts looking the wrong way... it is a bunch of Old Farts taking a look at what is going on, and providing some thought as what it is going to take to keep the Game going... Like it or not... the Kids can not and WILL not be the factor that keeps things going at this point. This is not a defeatist attitude... it is a realist attitude. I want this game to continue as long as possible. If we, the Old Farts can keep it going, then by the time the Kids become simi-Old Farts, they might have a chance at keeping the ball rolling. I promote what I believe it is going to take for that to happen... which is to support your local clubs. It is the ground level where every member has direct input and influence.

Respectfully submitted

Snakebite

All of the things mentioned effect attendance. I would offer that gas isn't one of them. The price has gone up and down for the last 3 years. yeah it's $3.85 a gallon and maybe you don't drive to the long distance matches.

Ammo yes the cost and availability is a problem. But if you have it, why wouldn't you shoot it instead of not shooting and waiting until the stuff is more available.

I think there are 3 things that are contributing to the decline. 1. Our membership is aging. It's getting more and more difficult for some to get out and they physically can't handle it. 2. There isn't a replacement element for the ones who drop out. Younger people either can't afford the cost of the equipment and the whole costuming thing adds to the cost. And they weren't part of growing up with the TV and movie cowboy hero's we all are remembering. 3. Apathy. People are getting burned out and aren't putting as much effort int o getting out and shooting. Our club averages 30 shooters in the summer months. ANd we always had a group that would come out and camp at the range for the weekend. Practice, socialize, and potlucks. Now hardly anyone does. 4th of July we held an event called Fernleystock, local town of Fernley. We would make it a 3 or 4 day weekend. We had Wild Bunch. Beach Chair 22's, practice, night shoots etc. this last 4th....no one wanted to come out. Same group of people so it's not because the club membership has changed.

I personally think that SASS has about 10 more years of participation before all of us old farts just aren't around or just can't get out like we used to. The organization needs to somehow get some young blood interested or we're out of business.

Ike

You are assuming a fact not in evidence. I don't know if there has really been a decline in our sport.

As to IPSC, I tried it for the first time last night. It is a lot of fun, but the profile of the members shooting at the club I attended looked a lot like SASS. Some young guys for sure, but an awful lot of guys my age.

IPSC has one advantage--compared to SASS it is a cheap thrill. Anybody can shoot single stack with the $500 average 1911. Some of the guys where telling me that a race gun costs $4,000 or so. Hell, I have two sets of cowboy race guns with as much in each set and my stuff isn't top of the line.

Trigger time is trigger time, so I am going to shoot it again, but I don't think it is going to replace CAS in my heart.

Archived