SASS Wire Forum

Need some info from the Colt 2nd Gen BP experts

Doc Coles SASS 1188

A collection of 2nd Gen BP colts (all "F" series guns) showed up used at the gun shop a bit back. They are interesting, but a bit over priced for what they are and the condition they are in. However, there was one interesting gun in th mix for a song (under $200). Its a Colt 2nd Gen 1860 Army with a fluted cylinder, serial number 20845x, no box.

The interesting thing about it is that it was never finished, no color case on any of the appropriate parts and no traces of blue anywhere except the bolt. The stampings and roll marks are fresh and untouched. It is serial numbered on the frame, grip straps, barrel, cylinder and wedge, has all the proper Colt markings and is the proper serial number range. It is mechanically perfect and timed like a swiss watch. The thing that made it cheap was the previous owner had hideously modified the front sight by adding a goofy amount of material to it. However, he did only superficial damage to the barrel in the process, so removing the sight, polishing off a couple of small scratches and installing a proper new sight will make it good as new.

But I am puzzled about what it actually is. Colt did market a 2nd Gen "F" series stainless 1860 army in 1982, but all the ones I have been able to find (or find descriptions of in books) have standard cylinders. Also, I have found reference to them having an "SS" affix in their serial number, which this one does not.

Colt also marketed a 2nd Gen "F" series fluted cylinder 1860 and I have read that they did offer some 2nd Gen guns in the white for engraving.

Does anyone have any specific information that would shed a brighter light on this gun?

My plan is to fix the front sight and send it off for a full tilt engraving job, nickel plate (if its not stainless) and maybe some checkered ivory grips. It would be a heck of a Sunday go to meeting gun.

You are correct about the 2nd Gen SS models. They all had an S suffix to the serial number and none were fluted models. Colt's did reserve some unfinished models for use as limited edition and custom models; and there were some in the white models that sold on GB a few years ago. This could be one of them; or just one that someone stripped the finish from in an attempt to make a faux SS model.

I'm with Irish Pat - Buy it and make a BBQ gun or shooter out of it.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Archived