SASS Wire Forum

I made the switch to Vaquero's .45LC What caliber are you using?

Bugsbunnyshooter

i have 3 NM Vaqueros in SS (one is a backup) I bought from LongHunter with SBH hammers. All are in .45 LC and all I shoot is BP in them. I've had then about 4 years and they are great. I do shoot the .45 Cowboy Special in them with 160 gr bullets. Hard to beat the Rugers in SS. Still look great and never had a problem. Back up has never been fired.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I would love to know where you are buying primers for $26/1000.

I still have primers that I paid about 30.00 for. Several of us got together and bought 500,000 primers. I still have about 50,000 left. Pays to buy as much as you can afford when the price is right! ;)

Shot is the same, I bought a ton of shot 4 years ago and it will take me 3 or 4 years to use up what I have left.

.45 Colt with my OMVs is what I use. I went to .45Colt because I already had one OMV .45 long before I was ever in C.A.S. I love the .45s "but" if im going to buy new guns for C.A.S, im switching to .38s just for cost and to speed me up a bit.....

The only SASS legal pistol caliber I can think of that I DON'T or HAVEN'T shot is .32-20.

.41 mag and 7.62 Nagant, I only have one pistol apiece , but I've shot each of 'em in a match before, and I've only got one convertible .45 Colt/.45acp, but I've shot that one with the acp cylinder in a match too.

Old Model Vaqueros in .44-40 or .44 Extra Long Russian (.44 Mangle-em loaded like a .44-40), depending on what ammo I have loaded at the time. Just swap cylinders in each gun, grab the matching Rossi M92, my Roosian sxs. But, I haven't been shooting in quite some time now. Too busy with family matters. :(

Eventually...

Started out with Colt clones in 45LC after asking myself, "what would John Wayne do?" Several frustrations evolved including price, inability to produce light enough loads for the speed I was after and the overall quality of the clones. Then I shot a friend's Rugers one day and I was hooked. Now I run a pair of Ruger Blackhawks in .38/357. Use the same ammo in my codymatic '73. Always carry some heavy hitting .147s for the stubborn knock downs.

Still like the big bores and wish I had another pair, this time Rugers of course.

38's

Bullets $62/k (110gr from Lonestar bullet)

Powder $6.52/k (mid load of Clays)

Primer $32/k

Brass $9.30/k (Figured as a loss of 5% from new Starline brass)

Total cost = $109.82/k

45's

Bullets $88/k (180gr from Lonestar bullet)

Powder $11.74 (mid load of Clays)

Primer $32/k

Brass $14/k (Figured as a loss of 5% from new Starline brass)

Total cost = $145.74/k

Difference is $35.92/k

The preceding figures were for informational purposes only. No animals were harmed. If you touch something hot, you could burn yourself or others. May be harmful or fatal if swallowed. Small pieces may be a choking hazard. Consult your doctor before starting any new strenuous activities. This product is not intended to cure, diagnose or prevent any disease.

That's not much of a difference.

"Difference is $35.92/k"

1000/20=50 stages

$35/50= $.70 a stage

Edit for bad math

I'm sure the clubs enjoy your heavy loads...beatin the crap outta targets...

Cheers!

Phantom

I am pretty sure the soft lead ant hurting dem dar targets any !

Cheers !

Man I would love to know where you are buying primers for $26/1000.

I bought my last supply from Graff and Sons .

I bought 10,000 wolf Primers .( They work Great )

I paid 17.00 a 1000

Cheers !

Yeah. Shot one of my 1/2" thick targets with a 50 cal round ball (pure lead) with 60 grains of black powder. Dented the crap out of it.

I've seen folks shooting SASS legal 357's and 45's that would dimple 3/8" plate every shot.

Bet they were having a great time...

Even with GOOD earplugs some loads (esp. 777) hurt my ears. I just wish folks would keep that in mind.

That's not much of a difference.

It's like getting your primers for free. And as Possum pointed out depends on how many you load for

and how much you shoot. for us it can be around $700 bucks a year. That's a new pistol every year.

Plus you throw in I can get used .38 brass even cheaper. And it come out better than shown.

Cheers !

You have not looked at some clubs targets after being shoot a few years have you.

Yeah. Shot one of my 1/2" thick targets with a 50 cal round ball (pure lead) with 60 grains of black powder. Dented the crap out of it.

I've seen folks shooting SASS legal 357's and 45's that would dimple 3/8" plate every shot.

Bet they were having a great time...

Even with GOOD earplugs some loads (esp. 777) hurt my ears. I just wish folks would keep that in mind.

Well I guess the clubs would NOT offer a Pale Rider Category if the was to concerned about it .

Now would they .

Cheers !

Well I guess the clubs would NOT offer a Pale Rider Category if the was to concerned about it .

Now would they .

Cheers !

You seem to be one of them guys that just don't give a crap about what it takes to keep good targets up at local matches...but...it is all about...you.

But...big loads = big man.

or...something like that.

Phantom

As the dad do a college student with (I hope) one semester left, the $ do make a difference. But, the main reason I switched to .38/357 was recoil. It's not that I mind recoil but recoil is not conducive to fast shooting. And as Ricky Bobby said, " I wanna go fast!"

Btw, I know there are lots of really fast .45 shooters out there I just ain't one of'em.

I really don't know so I am asking is the damage to CAS targets that much more between a .38 and .45lc?

And how often do club have to change steel. Monthly, Yearly or other?

I am new to CAS and never thought about it. The best way to learn is to ask :)

Isn't target maintenance part of the reason behind registration fees? Maybe we should just go to .177 pellet guns.

I use a 320 grain bullet in one of my CAS guns.

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, July 8, 2013 - His comments are getting too close to personal attacks
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, July 8, 2013 - His comments are getting too close to personal attacks

A 38 and a 45 with the same power factor will have different effects on the target. The 38 will make a bigger dent. If the targets are mad out of good steel neither will have any effect regardless of how hot they are loaded.

And of course we all know that clubs make a ton of money and can afford nothing but the best steel.

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, July 8, 2013 - His comments are getting too close to personal attacks
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, July 8, 2013 - His comments are getting too close to personal attacks

Isn't target maintenance part of the reason behind registration fees? Maybe we should just go to .177 pellet guns.

I use a 320 grain bullet in one of my CAS guns.

Have you ever been deeply involved with running a club...or do you just sit back and enjoy the benefits of your huge monthly investments?

Just curious.

Nope, never ran one. For the most part, I just enjoy the benefits of shooting at them. I think we must come from very different backgrounds if you consider $15 or $20 a huge monthly investment! Trust me, I can afford it.

I hope this satisfies your curiosity.

Nope, never ran one. For the most part, I just enjoy the benefits of shooting at them. I think we must come from very different backgrounds if you consider $15 or $20 a huge monthly investment! Trust me, I can afford it.

I hope this satisfies your curiosity.

I was being sarcastic. Being that you couldn't see that...yes, we definitely come from very different backgrounds.

If you were perhaps more involved you'd understand the costs with running a club...

Or you can just consider yourself entitled to targets that can handle your manly loads.

Phantom

If the targets can't withstand a SASS legal load, that is a club problem not a shooter problem.

Now here's a great example of the best our game has to offer.

Wow...seriously, do you have any idea what it takes to keep a club going??????

What make you feel so dang entitled?????

Phantom

If the targets can't withstand a SASS legal load, that is a club problem not a shooter problem.

And do you have any idea of the sacrafices that Bojack and Pasture Patti had to make to get Cajon going???? Or the efforts it took to get the Cowboys targets back into shape??? Besides, not every club has the member base that they do...and Yes, I was there long before you!

Phantom

Yes, I am very involved in my club. If a shooter shows up with a legal load who am I to berate them. Not everybody enjoys shooting 32s and if they are playing within the rules either the club needs to get better targets, envoke their own power factor ceiling, or petition SASS to do so.

Could you possibly suggest something less manly that will still function in my rifle?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIFLE CALIBERS

• Must be centerfire of at least .32 caliber and not larger than .45 caliber.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and .56-50. No rifle calibers such as .30-30 or .38-55 are allowed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the .56-.50 is specifically allowed, I will likely continue to shoot it occasionally. Perhaps you might get more involved and petition for the "manly" calibers and/or loads to be disallowed. Why would it even have been listed in the first place if it was not expected that there might be people who would shoot it?

Yes, I am very involved in my club. If a shooter shows up with a legal load who am I to berate them. Not everybody enjoys shooting 32s and if they are playing within the rules either the club needs to get better targets, envoke their own power factor ceiling, or petition SASS to do so.

Dude, are you that ...? What do 32's have to do with the discussion? Oh I'm sure you are NOT truly envolved or you would have a smiggins of understanding when it comes to target costs and wear.

But then I guess your position is that it's not what I can do for the club, but what the club should do for me mindset. Hey, I paid my big monthly fee so the rest of "it" is up to the club...and they have BETTER perform!!!!

Don't go on with the if it's legal bull. Just because you can, don't mean you should.

Edited to remove what could be considered a personal attack...

Could you possibly suggest something less manly that will still function in my rifle?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RIFLE CALIBERS
• Must be centerfire of at least .32 caliber and not larger than .45 caliber.
• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and .56-50. No rifle calibers such as .30-30 or .38-55 are allowed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As long as the .56-.50 is specifically allowed, I will likely continue to shoot it occasionally. Perhaps you might get more involved and petition for the "manly" calibers and/or loads to be disallowed. Why would it even have been listed in the first place if it was not expected that there might be people who would shoot it?

Obviously there is a lack of understanding on your part.

Using the upper end of what's allow is LEGAL...but in many cases, it beats the crap outta targets that ain't made outta the best steel. So why not let go of your ego and power down a bit????

And for you wonderboys that think I shoot close to the min PF...well, ya don't know me. But I ain't gunna use the upper limits cuz it ain't good for a lot of reasons. Some of which y'all seem to have a hard time grasping.

Don't go on with the if it's legal bull. Just because you can, don't mean you should.

Why is there a rule book at all then?

I use a manly 16 pound bowling ball too. Tough on the pins, but it's legal!

OK, all kidding aside, I DO occasionally shoot a .56-.50, but much more often resort to more conventional calibers and loads in .38 spl, .38-40, .44-40, and .45 Colt, with the heaviest bullets normally being 230 grainers in the .45's and the lightest being 125's in the .38's. ;)

Archived