SASS Wire Forum

I made the switch to Vaquero's .45LC What caliber are you using?

Bugsbunnyshooter

Dude, are you that ignorant? What do 32's have to do with the discussion? Oh I'm sure you are NOT truly envolved or you would have a smiggins of understanding when it comes to target costs and wear.

But then I guess your of the belief that it's not what I can do for the club, but what the club should do for me mindset. Hey, I paid my big monthly fee so the rest of "it" is up to the club...and they have BETTER perform!!!!

Don't go on with the if it's legal bull. Just because you can, don't mean you should.

I am the Director of Range Operations for The Cowboys. I am not sure how much more involved I would have to be to be less ignorant in your eyes. I will be at the range this Sunday doing target maintenance in 100 degree weather and still do not feel the need to pick on anyone for playing the game in a way that makes them happy so long as it is within the rules. For the record I do not shoot really heavy loads either but I have no need to try to bully everybody else into playing the game my way. What role do you play at your club? are you a board member? Maybe you should see about changing the power factor there to save the targets, or is it just easier to go online berating people and questioning their manliness?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally would have no problem helping, paying a bit extra. a club get new targets if something I was doing was very hard on the equipment.

The people I have meet in CAS have been very much about helping. If people know there is a need most rush to help.

Why is there a rule book at all then?

I use a manly 16 pound bowling ball too. Tough on the pins, but it's legal!

My gawd man, I'm having trouble keep from attacking you personally...stop making this so fricken hard!!!

If the club you are shooting at is a POOR club that don't have the $$$$$$$ for steel that can hold up to the pounding, don't shoot that load!! IT'S RUDE!!!!!!

And bowling pins are all made to handle the beating...but if you went to a bowling alley that had to use sub-par quality pins...yes, change the ball ya use. To do otherwise is selfish and RUDE!

Phantom

I am the Director of Range Operations for The Cowboys. I am not sure how much more involved I would have to be to be less ignorant in your eyes. I will be at the range this Sunday doing target maintenance in 100 degree weather and still do not feel the need to pick on anyone for playing the game in a way that makes them happy so long as it is within the rules. For the record I do not shoot really heavy loads either but I have no need to try to bully everybody else into playing the game my way. What role do you play at your club? are you a board member? Maybe you should see about changing the power factor there to save the targets, or is it just easier to go online berating people and questioning their manliness?

The Cowboys are a very large club...ask them how they had to rebuild their target inventory back in the early 2000's. They run 2 annuals that bring in a fair amount of cash and also have about twice the monthly attendence as the bigger clubs around here.

I'll "Bully" (man that is such a stoopid internet word...), when it comes to attitudes that are 100% selfish. You seem to not understand that I have this position NOT because I want everyone to play my way as you seem to take what I'm saying, but rather I want people to think a little about what they are doing. That maybe they don't understand the costs associated with using heavy loads at some clubs. You seem to have ONE reference point - The Cowboys. Not a great reference point as your club is huge and has $$$$$$$.

I'm...involved with a few clubs. I know what they are going through. Maybe with time you'll expand your horizons and gain some practical experience...oh...hope I'm not offending you...don't want to be a "Bully" or "Berate" you.

And no, we are not going to deviate from the SASS rules. No one will be flogged for using Max SASS loads at our club. They are playing within the rules and that's fine. Too bad though that they feel the need to...

Phantom

You seem to be one of them guys that just don't give a crap about what it takes to keep good targets up at local matches...but...it is all about...you.

But...big loads = big man.

or...something like that.

Phantom

It sounds like you should STOP holding your breath and stopping your feet.

If you cant handle a big bore gun dont shoot one .

I dont care what YOU shoot .

What I shoot should not bother you .

I think maybe you need to open your own gun club .

Put on your own Cowboy action shoot .

You OPINION is just that YOUR OPINION . :lol:

My gawd man, I'm having trouble keep from attacking you personally...stop making this so fricken hard!!!

If the club you are shooting at is a POOR club that don't have the $$$$$$$ for steel that can hold up to the pounding, don't shoot that load!! IT'S RUDE!!!!!!

And bowling pins are all made to handle the beating...but if you went to a bowling alley that had to use sub-par quality pins...yes, change the ball ya use. To do otherwise is selfish and RUDE!

Phantom

Really

I personally would have no problem helping, paying a bit extra. a club get new targets if something I was doing was very hard on the equipment.

The people I have meet in CAS have been very much about helping. If people know there is a need most rush to help.

Bugs,

I'm sure you are a nice fellow and we look forward to you coming out and shooting with us. But maybe you don't realize the good folks of our clubs already DID help pay for the targets we have now. A bunch of them already DID help build the targets we have now. Even with moderate loads, like most of us use, the targets still get beat out of shape and have to be turned around or hammered out once in a while, but at least they don't get dimpled until somebody uses HEAVY loads. Dimpling is what really ruins a target and makes it start spitting the lead back at you.

We have not been able to afford AR500 steel, but if you'd like to replace all of our targets with armor plate that would be great! Really! The cowboys at Arntzen targets are only $111 each and we only need about 50 of 'em. I promise, I'll not complain about any load you want to use then. Even if it's too loud for me, I'll just set the timer on delay, back up and cover my ears like I have had to do with one fellow shooting heavy 777 loads.

Neither Phantom or I are saying anyone shouldn't shoot big, heavy bullets. We are saying that when you do we think you should moderate your loads to something that will not damage the targets of the club you are shooting at. And you might consider the fact that your loads are damaging your fellow shooter's ears, especially your pard holding the timer for you.

Possum

Possum, is there any possible way you can influence our pard Phantom to your way of expressing a point ? :(

And bowling pins are all made to handle the beating...

Phantom

Why do they replace them then??

SASS wire entertainment over a cup of coffee in the morning sure beats fencing and spraying weeds! :lol:;)

1,000 .38's $62 bucks. 1,000 .45's $88 bucks.

After 2,000 rounds. I have paid for my primers for my .38's

How much more do you need to know that they are cheaper.

Don't even start with the brass. I have no problem finding used .38 at a good price.

Tell me about finding good used .45 brass and the cost.

Again. It don't take long to figure .38's ARE much cheaper to shoot.

So a monthly club match with 6 stages costs about $3.00 more to shoot .45's (about 50 cents per stage)

I get more that 50 cents' worth of fun shooting my .45's!

The question is... If a club started today with new stuff ok metal target with regular use about how long before the targets would be so beat up you would have to replace them? Weeks. months, years....

With light to moderate loads they will last for several years. Even then, they still have to be turned once in a while.

With heavy loads they will only last a few months.

You can swing a 4lbs. ball-peen hammer softly enough to hit a glass jar without breaking it or you can swing it hard enough to dent a steel plate.

I love this topic. It's sooooooo Ford v. Chevy.

I have both and shoot which ever I feel on a given day.

The difference in cost between the 45 and 38 at a match isn't worth the argument. What is, however, is the difference in cost if you practice a lot. Some of the really fast shooters shoot several hundred rounds a day (I heard one big name gal say something like 700 rounds) leading up to a big match. Since I haven't met too many pards in SASS who can afford polo ponies, and there aren't many sponsorships in this sport, the price difference has to be significant for the really, really serious set. You know the guys who have their cowboy gunsmiths on speed dial.

I bet a lot of people really have no idea about how long targets last. Its one of those things we just take for granted they will always be there not how they have to be changed or maintained. Kinda like water as long as we turn the sink on and its there we are ok. we just dont think about what went into getting it there.

So a monthly club match with 6 stages costs about $3.00 more to shoot .45's (about 50 cents per stage)

I get more that 50 cents' worth of fun shooting my .45's!

Glad you do.

But add another shooter in to the mix. Then add in practice for you and another shooter.

Those 3 dollars add up faster than you think.

PLUS

I don't and never have got a bigger thrill out of shooting .45's over my .38's.

I can load my .38's to a stronger load than a BUNCH of ..45 shooters if I need more.

Which I don't need to.

I guess I am blessed to be able to shoot what I shoot at the clubs I've been to and actually have been encouraged to so...however, I guess a club's rules is a club's rules and if they frown on me shootin' my loads I'll mosey on to a place that will....no hard feelings and grumblin' on my part.

Still...thinking about a reduced 45 Colt or C45S (or 45 Schofield) with a 180gr projectile for the regular FCGF when Pale Rider isn't needed in my pistols...and seeing there ain't a lot of PRGF around that may be my 'evolution' :) The 44-40 will remain the same...

Happy Shootin'..... :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Ain't nobody bad-mouthing big-bore guns! We's just stating our preferences or reasons why we shoot what we choose to shoot.

Shoot big, cartoon bullets and have fun! :)

+1

Ain't nobody bad-mouthing big-bore guns! We's just stating our preferences or reasons why we shoot what we choose to shoot.

Shoot big, cartoon bullets and have fun! :)

JEDI Possum and JEDI Al,

rumor is that some 'young' GF has been using some Ruger Sheriff model .45's this year. Same GF was Top Gun in June and July shooting with the Greeneville Regulators in Bulls Gap, TN.

Rumor is that this same GF is gona be tottin those short barrel .45's at Hell Fire in September.

..........Widder

JEDI Possum and JEDI Al,

rumor is that some 'young' GF has been using some Ruger Sheriff model .45's this year. Same GF was Top Gun in June and July shooting with the Greeneville Regulators in Bulls Gap, TN.

Rumor is that this same GF is gona be tottin those short barrel .45's at Hell Fire in September.

..........Widder

You are the Man !

Good luck shooten .

It sounds like you should STOP holding your breath and stopping your feet.

If you cant handle a big bore gun dont shoot one .

I dont care what YOU shoot .

What I shoot should not bother you .

I think maybe you need to open your own gun club .

Put on your own Cowboy action shoot .

You OPINION is just that YOUR OPINION . :lol:

Please feel free to bring up this subject with me Face to Face. I'll say it the same way.

Oh, and I'm sorry you can't understand my point about heavy loads and just want to feel as though you're one of the WIRE Gang...like THAT'S a big honor :lol:

See ya down the trail.

Oy...

Phantom

JEDI Possum and JEDI Al,

..........Widder

:)

Why do they replace them then??

SASS wire entertainment over a cup of coffee in the morning sure beats fencing and spraying weeds! :lol:;)

Well let's see...they...wear out????

Yea...that's it, they wear out!

And of course being the all knowing "Cowboy" that you are, you are aware that the average local SASS club makes tons of $$$$$$.

Now would someone show me where I said you CAN'T shoot heavy loads???? Shoot what ya want so long as it's legal. Shoot at our Club...doesn't matter. But know that if you are shooting on the high end of "legal", that you are consuming more of the targets life then those that are shooting middle of the road loads.

But...do what ya want...cuz we all know that the "Cowboy Way" is to be selfish.

Cheers!

Phantom

Possum, is there any possible way you can influence our pard Phantom to your way of expressing a point ? :(

Here's my original post...just my style...

I'm sure the clubs enjoy your heavy loads...beatin the crap outta targets...

Cheers!

Phantom

Seems rather straight forward...no personal attack. Of course this comment lead to folks thinking that I want to abolish heavy loads...or something.

Phantom

I use the Vaquero in a 45LC.

One gun is stainless and the other is blue.

They are the older guns which I think are a bit larger than the ones they make now. Larger frame.

I sure do like them . Hope you have a good time with yours. I sure do with mine.

Smoked Fish

PS: Caliber don't matter...go with whatcha like.

That said, cost does play a factor for many that shoot 2-4000 rounds a month. Decide where you are and go with the caliber that fits your needs. You CAN be competitive with ANY caliber.

Phantom...

Well let's see...they...wear out????

Yea...that's it, they wear out!

And of course being the all knowing "Cowboy" that you are, you are aware that the average local SASS club makes tons of $$$$$$

Ummm, none of the clubs I belong to make tons of $$$$$$.

Now would someone show me where I said you CAN'T shoot heavy loads???? Shoot what ya want so long as it's legal. Shoot at our Club...doesn't matter. But know that if you are shooting on the high end of "legal", that you are consuming more of the targets life then those that are shooting middle of the road loads.

But...do what ya want...cuz we all know that the "Cowboy Way" is to be selfish.

It is??

Cheers!

Phantom

Please feel free to bring up this subject with me Face to Face. I'll say it the same way.

Oh, and I'm sorry you can't understand my point about heavy loads and just want to feel as though you're one of the WIRE Gang...like THAT'S a big honor :lol:

See ya down the trail.

Oy...

Phantom

Come on over to Michigan .

We can we can talk over a beer face to face any time .

Would love to see you on the trail some time and have a beer OR what ever !

You have your Opinion and again ITS JUST THAT !

Your Opinion .

Wow, this sure has been anything but a smokelsss thread!!!!... RR

Ummmm.........I shoot a pair of 2nd Gen Colts. Chambered for 45 Colt. Usually loaded with 250 grain bullets and a full case of FFg. Kinda like in the 1880s. They sound really loud, they kick real good too. Actual velocity is a bit under 800 fps. I hope that's OK with everybody.

Archived