SASS Wire Forum

I made the switch to Vaquero's .45LC What caliber are you using?

Bugsbunnyshooter

I actually made the switch to the Stainless Vaquero and see why so many people use them.

The stainless does show fouling but the cleanup was not To bad.

The checkered grips are a huge plus over smooth one better grip for me.

One thing I did notice is one of the cylinders spins a bit easier than the other.

64370efd-6e6f-4a3d-862a-1c28ff9a887b.jpg[/url]

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As to the question what caliber are we shooting.

.38's

They are cheaper to shoot. Plan and simple. That's the reason.

+1 because I have to load for me AND the wife to shoot every weekend. That makes a big difference when you load that much.

.36s, 'cause the style points are so much greater than shootin' those suppository shooters.

I have been using stainless vaquero's since I started in 45LC, old model, just picked up some SASS vaquero's in 45 last year, I do have some old model stainless vaquero's in 357/38 that I shoot maybe once a year.

All for now JD Trampas

I've always loved the form-factor of the 45LC and I like that the guns are a bit lighter weight than .38s or a pair of 32-20s I have. And, .45LCs have the umph for knock-downs. Having said that, the reduced umph of either 32-20 or .38 does a better job of keeping the sights on the targets - and while the .45s may cost me a few seconds controlling the sights, they're a lot more fun to shoot. Has anyone actually done a cost comparison between similar loads in .38 and .45 on a twice-a-month-shooting basis? ...RR

.36s, 'cause the style points are so much greater than shootin' those suppository shooters.

I shoot em both. Smoke and flame forever, sez I. :D:FlagAm:

I've always loved the form-factor of the 45LC and I like that the guns are a bit lighter weight than .38s or a pair of 32-20s I have. And, .45LCs have the umph for knock-downs. Having said that, the reduced umph of either 32-20 or .38 does a better job of keeping the sights on the targets - and while the .45s may cost me a few seconds controlling the sights, they're a lot more fun to shoot. Has anyone actually done a cost comparison between similar loads in .38 and .45 on a twice-a-month-shooting basis? ...RR

1,000 .38's $62 bucks. 1,000 .45's $88 bucks.

After 2,000 rounds. I have paid for my primers for my .38's

How much more do you need to know that they are cheaper.

Don't even start with the brass. I have no problem finding used .38 at a good price.

Tell me about finding good used .45 brass and the cost.

Again. It don't take long to figure .38's ARE much cheaper to shoot.

I shoot em both. Smoke and flame forever, sez I. :D:FlagAm:

Shhh... so do I, but don't let it get out and around!

My Rugers, slicked up by The Brisco Kid, shoot .45 Colt loaded plumb full of the Holy Black Powder.

My regular match guns are R/M 1851 Open Top Conversion Revolvers in .38 Special, also loaded plumb full of the Holy Black Powder - why you ask?

...The Holy Black Powder is a wonderful sight to behold!!

and

....38 iz cheaper sez I... <_<

I am in the process of switching my main match guns to stainless 38s. My wife has been shooting 38s now for a couple years and, in a year or two, we will have a buckaroo joining us. Only loading 1 caliber for all three of us in quantity makes more sense to me. Plus, they are cheaper than my 45s.

Stainless 4 5/8 Ruger Vaqueros and Blued CH 5.5" Ruger Bisley Vaqueros, both pair in 45 Colt. Love love love 'em! Can shoot light smokeless loads or big hairy nasty BP loads for all the fun!

I do have a pair of the SASS 38/357 Ruger Vaqueros and just don't care for the 38 when playing cowboy. I can shoot them faster and for less money, but I am not going to factor in ammo cost when playing my favorite game. What's the point of that? Travel expenses add up to a lot more than ammo cost! Plus 45's just seem more old west colorful to me.

With any luck I'll have more pairs of CAS pistols on down the trail, Colt's most hopefully, and yes, they will be 45 too.

Shhh... so do I, but don't let it get out and around!

Don't worry Griff,

We won't tell nobody....

:P:lol:

45's for me and my bride Sunny. ^_^

I'd love to add a pair of .38's just because I don't have a pair though.... ;)

I started off shooting the 1911 and loved it so when I decided to try CAS the .45 LC was the way to go for me. Yes .38 is cheaper but the few dollars a more yearly is just part of the shooting game to me.

I shoot .45 Colt. I started with SASS mounted shooting which requires .45 blanks. Using .45 Colt for ground shooting allowed me to use the same revolvers and rifles I was already using. I would not change now but if I had to start completely over for some reason, I would think long and hard about 38s.

CB

Original RBV in 45 Colt is what I started with. I still shoot the same guns, RBV SS 5 1/2 inch. I use 45 S&W (Schofield) in my Rugers and Marlin. 45 Auto and 45 Colt for Wild Bunch, that 45 is a SS Ruger also.

30 inch full choke 97 for CAS and WBAS, reach out and poke the targets if I run out of ammo.

I shoot 45 colt, both because I like the boom and I reload for it already, so the ammo costs aren't too bad

Whadui shoot?

.36's, .38's, .38WCF, .44, and .45 depending on what mood I'm in

Could be Remmies, Rugers, (Vaquero, Old Army, or Blackhawk) Colts, or Uberti's... what the heck

smokeless or smokey... competitive loads or Warthog...

I've been told that if I wanna get fast, I oughta use one set of guns consistently... I'm never going to be fast, so I might as well have fun!

+1 I shoot 36 cal (.375) '51s & 61s about 70% of the time, plus occasional 44 cal.

When using suppositories: 38, 45 Colt and 44WCF (fav - just need one more pistol, looking for another Schofield to make a set).

Harvey

I love big bore guns .

Never much cared for a 38 or a 357.

I have three sets of cowboy guns all are 44 s and 12ga

I shoot 200gr full load BP

OR

200gr or 240gr heavy load smokeless

I love the big bang and it really knocks down the targets .

I love big bore guns .

Never much cared for a 38 or a 357.

I have three sets of cowboy guns all are 44 s and 12ga

I shoot 200gr full load BP

OR

200gr or 240gr heavy load smokeless

I love the big bang and it really knocks down the targets .

I'm sure the clubs enjoy your heavy loads...beatin the crap outta targets...

Cheers!

Phantom

45 Colt BP (250gr projectile) with about as much FFg as I can fit with a 1/8 compression. 44 WCF BP loads (200 gr projectile) that are Pale Rider legal. Both loads using soft lead. The 45 load in the 5 1/2" Vaqueros are chrono' d at about 750-800 fps. Its my enjoyment and they don't harm the targets in these parts.

GG

I'm sure the clubs enjoy your heavy loads...beatin the crap outta targets...

Cheers!

Phantom

I know ole Rooster. I believe for CAS the rounds he's shootin' are SAAMI factory spec loads well within SASS rules so they should be fine.

But I agree...if someone is throwing a 200+ gr hard cast projectile at 950 fps that could be an issue.

Thanks for the reminder...

GG

Whatdoishoout? .44-40's of course. And when I want to have fun, load 'em up with the holy black. When I really, really have a need for some serious fun, then I break out my Remington cap 'n ball pistols in .454 round ball. Stand back, Pards. Ol' Hans is going to light these puppies off! YeeHaw!

On the topic of "cheaper to load 38s vs 45LC...", I did a spreadsheet to calculate like-loads comparing comparable loads of TrailBoss to BlueDot, similar primers, and similar lead from CB Bullets. Considering a normal shoot day of 6 stages, 10 pistol, 10 rifle, cost of materials for .45LC comes out to $23.398 ($23.40) per 120 rounds, and .38 is $20.496 ($20.50). A difference of $2.90 per day. I'm not saying $2.90 is "nothing" but in our parts its the cost of a frozen yogurt. With all I have invested in my equipment and guns, and how much I love cowboy shooting, I wouldn't let $2.90 a day be the decision maker for me... RR

1,000 .38's $62 bucks. 1,000 .45's $88 bucks.

After 2,000 rounds. I have paid for my primers for my .38's

How much more do you need to know that they are cheaper.

Don't even start with the brass. I have no problem finding used .38 at a good price.

Tell me about finding good used .45 brass and the cost.

Again. It don't take long to figure .38's ARE much cheaper to shoot.

Man I would love to know where you are buying primers for $26/1000.

Anvil Al... I'd love to see your calculation for:

"1,000 .38's $62 bucks. 1,000 .45's $88 bucks"

Are you including: primers, powder, and lead? I don't see how you can possibly load that cheap even if you use 1g powder per cartridge.

RR

Archived