SASS Wire Forum

If you could meet just one cowboy actor...

Two Spurs

I've met a few of them over the years... all but one of them was a true Gentleman... one was a AH. Roy and Dale use to come to my town when visiting their daughter. They were a big hit in little town. Jame Arness live in the apartment next to some of my dad's friends. He was neat to meet........... really a Big Man! Buck Taylor is as friendly and as Gentlemanly as can be... Buck even gave me nice autographed poster from Gun Smoke!

However, if I could sit and talk with any cowboy star, it would be with the Original one.... William S Hart. Even though he was from NYC, he spent his formative years in Missouri when the stuff that Western Movies are made about was actually happening. I think that his silent movies reflected a good deal of that, and are, in fact, the best window to the past that we have today.

Snakebite

Snakebite:

This is more of a question but its gona sound like a statement.

Anyhow, if my memory serves me right, at the end of the movie 'Tombstone', didn't the narrator say something about William S. Hart being a pall barrer for Wyatt Earp? After reading your post, I would also think a feller like that could sure share some great stories.

..........Widder

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deceased: John Wayne and Ben Johnson

Living: Tom Selleck and Sam Elliott

+1 All great Cowboys

RBK

• 2 weeks later...

Some one that performed with most of the great actors listed ..so he knew all of their stories.....Walter Brenhan

Crash

I spelled his name wrong... Walter Brennan...played Stumpy the deputy on Rio Bravo, walked with a limp .

Crash

Ben Johnson.

Not only was he a good cowboy actor, but he had been a cowboy stuntman and had his own horse ranch.

A REAL COWBOY.

I agree, out of Oklahoma he is!!!

What the Hey! Let's have a partty and invite em all!

Especially Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot, Clint Eastwood, Robert Duval and John Wayne.

Frenchy

how about Claudia Cardinale...... :)

If I could meet one "cowboy actor?" In other words someone who is not a cowboy, but an actor pretending to be a cowboy. Many Hollywood actors are drunk, druggy, liberals and I have no desire to meet these. There are many actors I would enjoy meeting, but not necessarily because they have "played" a cowboy. If I could meet someone from the old west it would be Wild Bill Hickok or John Wesley Hardin not some Hollywood type.

I'd like to meet almost anyone who played in DEADWOOD. Hell, I'd event like to meet Woo.... Loved all three seasons!

Got to meet Andy Devine when I was about 10 years old. Living in Nebraska...someone banging on the back door...went to see and there stood Jingles! He wanted to hunt pheasants on our property. Well, hell yes. I was probably wearing a cap gun at the time. What a thrill!

how about Claudia Cardinale...... :)

Raquel Welsh! :wub:

Frenchy

The reason I chose Ben Johnson was for his ridng abilities and I like his personna. Actually, I don't thimk he had a personna. I would bet he was like that all the time.

I do not ride but I am a critic and an admirer of accomplished riders. Slim Pickens can set a horse. Watching movies I have to laugh at horse races for they do not always let the horse stretch it out. However, Ben sets his saddle like a rocking chair and neever seems to tense up at full throttle.

On the other hand there is a connaisseur of horse flesh that can ride very well but he seems so rigid. His arms are always horizontal out in his front and his hands are almost touching. LOOKS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.

Back in my younger years I spent a lot of time horseback, we raised appaloosa horses, I showed them, gamed on them, roped on them, and even did a little cutting on them. I am usually pretty critical of horesmanship in the movies. Slim Pickens is a horseman, as is Ben Johnson. . Clint Eastwood is good, Robert Duvall is good. John Wayne was a little stiff in the saddle. Most of the older actors took riding lessons, but of course there were a lot more westerns back in those days. What really cracks me up is seeing some of the indians "ride". The plains indians lived on horesback, they were much more in tune with their horses than the palefaces!

Archived