SASS Wire Forum

If you could meet just one cowboy actor...

Two Spurs

If you could meet just one actor that played a cowboy role (of any year) who would it be?

MANY moons ago it would've been John Wayne but for me now- hands down Tom Selleck.

What about you??? ^_^

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago, yeah, John Wayne, or maybe Ken Curtis, would have liked to hear him sing in person. Awesome voice.

Current day I gotta agree with Tom Selleck. Next would maybe be Robert DuVall.

James Arness. I always heard he was a hell of a nice guy in real life and always took time for fans. Lot of memories with my Dad watching Gunsmoke reruns (and the DVDs with him much later)

I did meet Ken curtis several years ago. He came to a MD fund raiser in SD when I was a kid. Super nice guy, and

He sang and what a voice. I remember him talking about James Arness and what A nice guy he was. I asked him

if James Arness was as big in real life as he appeared on tv. He said tv does not do him justice he is much bigger in

real life.

Wow, Duke hands down. Then Jimmy Stewart, Joel McCrea and all the rest up to and including Tom and Sam!! I had the pleasure of meeting Duke's family at a school dedication in NY in '81. I paid my respects to his grave site last year when in CA.

Conagher!

Richard Farnsworth (not a leading man, but a great cowboy)

and

Buck Taylor

I had the oppertunity to spend a couple of days filming a western movie with Buck

He even rode back and fourth from the hotel to the set in my truck one of the days

This man is a true Cowboy, a fellow to ride the range with

I Have spent two different weekends with Hugh Obrian in his malibu house

there is NOT a true cowboy cell in his body

my girlfriend at the time was great friends with his wife

I filmed in a couple of western scenes with James Dury the Virginian

he was pretty much a grumpy old guy, but it was still fun

Hands down Audie Murphy as stated above! Jimmie Stewart, Randolph Scott and, of course, the Duke- would have loved a political discussion with him, especially about his audience at Havard.

James Arness came out to our carrier and spent a few hours with us in the ready room and island in the mid-80s. Great guy, very down to earth and patriotic before it was fashionable again. Yes, he was a big man, but already showing his years when off guard. I greatly enjoyed him.

Alive today Tom Selleck, Clint Eastwood and Robert Duvall (maybe the most interesting and wide ranging discussion).

Rooster Cogburn him self ! ( John )

The Man with NO Name ! ( Clint )

And Last But Not Least Quigley ! ( Tom )

If you could meet just one actor that played a cowboy role (of any year) who would it be?

MANY moons ago it would've been John Wayne but for me now- hands down Tom Selleck.

What about you??? ^_^

Wow. All the names that slipped by me. Jimmie Stewart and Audie Murphy both would be incredible to meet.

I see a good movie (or two) coming to celebrate Independence Day today! :D

Tom Selleck.....he seems like a guy you could hang out with, do some plinking and have a beer or two. Also you know exactly where he stands on the gun issue !

Happy 4th everyone :FlagAm:

Rye

Met John Wayne several times, once in Baja when I was fishing, he was with Ward Bond. Tom Sellick would be who I would like to share a beer with.

Howdy,

Just one living or dead would have to be Clayton Moore.

JW would be busy with all you other pards.....

Best

CR

I have been lucky enough to meet Bob Fuller, James Drury and Buck Taylor. Tom Sellick would be at the top of the list followed be Sam Elliot (if Cathrine Ross is there too).

Back in the day? I grew up watching all the John Wayne westerns and he is probably, inarguably, the best in his era. But, I would have liked to have met one of these three 'occasional' western actors in this order; Glen Ford, Henry Fonda, or James Stewart. They usually played characters that had to use their wits and their grit more than their muscles to overcome the villain's. As far as recent westerns, I would like to meet Viggo Mortensen, for his roles in Appaloosa and Hidalgo.

Ben Johnson.

Not only was he a good cowboy actor, but he had been a cowboy stuntman and had his own horse ranch.

A REAL COWBOY.

Guinn "Big Boy" Williams...His father and my grandmother were grade school classmates in Texas in the 1880's.

Had the importunity to meet Tom Selleck at the NRA Convention several years ago. He was out seeing the convention like everyone else with the exception of about 4 "handlers " that were surrounding him. I was standing several feet away and when he finished talking to some people in a booth, he turned my way to leave. I asked him if I could shake his hand. He walked right over and we exchanged a few pleasantries. I told him that he cost me a lot of money. His response "Whoa, wait a minute" turned into a laugh when I said that I had to buy a Sharp's after seeing Quigley. It was a brief, but memorable meeting.

One actor to meet - (OK - two) - my boyhood heroes - Clayton Moore and Bill Boyd

Archived