SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy loads

Litl Red

Getting back into it, my old full throttle loads seem way out of place. I guess I should try backing down a bit more.

Last match everything was loaded to "starting load" specs. In spite of that, a couple of people commented on how loud my guns were. To tell the truth, I got no argument with shooting wimp loads so long as they're safe. There in lies the problem.

I've spent the last week trying to find some reputable source for "Cowboy loads." Haven't found a whisper.

Could someone be so kind as to point me to some? Does any current loading guide have them? (I really have no need for even one more loading guide unless it's got that special info. If so, there will be no hesitation getting it.)

tia

Look for PM... RR

Starting loads with a fairly fast burning powder (from a good manual) will probably do the trick. In fact, I go about midway in the recommendations for a load that does what I want.

Lafitte

Howdy

First off, I have no patience with shooters who complain about how loud your loads are, as long as you are within the SASS guidelines for Maximum velocity, 1000 fps for pistol and 1400 fps for rifle. If you are shooting at the 'starting load' level you have gone as low as you need to. A lot of clowns these days are loading way down, below starting loads, those are the guys who generally complain about how much oomph somebody else's loads have.

Secondly, there are no official guidelines for what constitutes a 'cowboy load'. Just like there are no official guidelines for what constitutes a 45 Colt +P load.

If you go to Alliant's web page and check out their data, you will see a section labeled Cowboy Action Handgun Data. It is next to useless. It only lists the max loads, which are right up there, and it does not list any starting loads.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

My 13th edition of the Speer manual does list some cowboy data, but I guarantee those guys who complained about how loud your loads are will not like those loads either.

Bottom line is, start down at the starting loads, then if you don't like the load, work your way up a little bit. Just stay down around the mid point or less of the data.

P.S.

Sorry, I cannot find any cowboy data at the Hodgdon site. I have looked. Somebody tell me where it is.

Although honestly, I don't care. Anybody who does not like how much noise my Black Powder loads make can go sit by their gun cart.

Actually, thanks for reminding me.

I do have a copy of a pamphlet Hodgdon put out a few years ago with just Cowboy data in it. It's the third edition and it has our own Birdshot #3616 listed on the cover. I dunno if this is still in print, but it would definitely be worth a call to Hodgdon to find out.

P.S., I agree, I ain't gonna give them my credit card. I got this pamphlet for free at a gun store.

To get a copy of ALL HODGDON Data, simply call their Customer Service line and request a copy of their Basic Reloading Manual. The Customer Service number is 913-362-9455. The manuals are free, and one will be mailed to you upon request.

The Cowboy Action Data is located right after the Pistol Data, near the center of the Manual.

RBK

Don't blame you a bit. I sent Hodgdon an email asking where the link went.

PS I have the 4th edition in PDF if you want it. Yustab45@yahoo.com

Not that I am a pro or anything, but I have found Clays at the min loads to be very workable.

I suggest talking to the more experienced cowboy reloaders at your local match. Those that have been shooting well and regularly will have worked through the kinks of determining which unpublished loads work best.

Are you shooting at ONSP/Salisbury this Saturday?

Start at the lowest load published and go from there. Load up a sequence and shoot paper to see what happens.

Load up a sequence of different wts of bullets while you are at it. I ended up going to the local indoor with all these ziplocs the other day.

Shoot what you want within the published loads and SASS rules.

When I started I looked up the load data for the powder and bullet I was usingm chose something in the middle of the range and made up enough to shoot one match as I had no where to practice or test. I liked the loads so that is what I still use today.

Its Funny people complain about Loud noise at a Shooting Range......

Its Funny people complain about Loud noise at a Shooting Range......

Funny?

or sad.

Bottom line is I don't mind at all downloading nowadays to help make shooting more pleasant for other people. Heck, in the next 15 years we might be shooting .22s (and they'd outpower some of the present loads) and I'd be contented to do that.

Humorous side note: One of the pro shooters came over to share some advice. Said the low recoil saved him time. Really... So I asked him about his shotgun loads sounding so strong and throwing what looked like a lot of shot. Said you need extra weight in that in case you don't get it all on the plate. Hmmm.... lol

Guys, thanks for the good info and advice. The Hodgdon is a good first step. Info from the mfg is gold, and they actually have some lower velocity loads listed, not just the old starting loads.

Thanks.

I like em LOUD and PROUD! And for you BP shooters, more smoke the better. One of these days when I start reloading I'm going to shoot BP. And when I do, im gonna shoot the loudest, smokiest loads allowed by law and/or SASS rules.

I hate listening to those little mousefart loads. Sometimes the clang is louder than the bang.

Funny?

or sad.

Bottom line is I don't mind at all downloading nowadays to help make shooting more pleasant for other people. Heck, in the next 15 years we might be shooting .22s (and they'd outpower some of the present loads) and I'd be contented to do that.

Humorous side note: One of the pro shooters came over to share some advice. Said the low recoil saved him time. Really... So I asked him about his shotgun loads sounding so strong and throwing what looked like a lot of shot. Said you need extra weight in that in case you don't get it all on the plate. Hmmm.... lol

Guys, thanks for the good info and advice. The Hodgdon is a good first step. Info from the mfg is gold, and they actually have some lower velocity loads listed, not just the old starting loads.

Thanks.

What is a pro shooter?

I can not find 22 s that meet the power factor, so how could shooters be using loads weaker than 22s?

I like em LOUD and PROUD! And for you BP shooters, more smoke the better. One of these days when I start reloading I'm going to shoot BP. And when I do, im gonna shoot the loudest, smokiest loads allowed by law and/or SASS rules.

I hate listening to those little mousefart loads. Sometimes the clang is louder than the bang.

Pard, if you are at a night shoot or trying to get filmed for a cable TV show then max BP charges are the way to go. If you are competing for good stage times then excess smoke and recoil is not your friend.

Thanks again for all the help and the PMs too.

Really, all I was looking for was a referral to a powder company load book or such that addressed our unique demands. I've got a method to work out specific loads for my guns that'll work safe and sure. Getting a leg up from the powder companies info would have saved me some time. Turns out, I didn't need that.

Today I ran some test loads over the chronograph.... in between the rain showers.

The shooting was double duty. Tested the loads and got to test the new SS Vaquero.

Can't think of but a few better ways to spend the day.

Thanks again

Hey - we're glad to take donations for new steel...feel free to add to the fund.

Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should.

And also, just something to consider, when referring to light loads perhaps you can leave the "mousefart" stuff out...unless you want to alienate those other folks that are not only playing by the rules, but also not beating the crap out of a clubs targets.

Really folks, shooting heavy loads does NOT make you a big tuff guy...really...

Phantom

Hey - we're glad to take donations for new steel...feel free to add to the fund.

Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should.

And also, just something to consider, when referring to light loads perhaps you can leave the "mousefart" stuff out...unless you want to alienate those other folks that are not only playing by the rules, but also not beating the crap out of a clubs targets.

Really folks, shooting heavy loads does NOT make you a big tuff guy...really...

Phantom

Actually, I'm not shooting heavy loads, just ones that started life on the pages of the powder mfg's loading manuals. They were what was published as safe loads for the caliber. They had a start load and a max load listed. What I'm shooting now is still within that range. Shooting them certainly doesn't make be big or tuff... really. But it seems to offend the sensibilities of a few.

The original intent of my thread was to find some published data for safe SASS cowboy shooting reloading. There really doesn't seem to be very much of it. Perhaps it's time somebody in the sport, perhaps those wishing to make the sport easier on the targets for example, would help the sport grow safely and provide info on the unique loads ("light" ones) that better suit the sport as it exists today. Close targets take more of a beating. Big targets are easier to bend. Unfortunately for targets, SASS still permits 45LC as a legal round. Not everybody sees this hobby/sport as requiring light bullets in smaller calibers at minimum velocity. At least the rules don't require those things yet.

There is a shortfall right now on info that suits our sport/hobby. It really seems to me to be the responsibility of the powder companies, but it's not really important to find fault. It's sensible for the people who'd benefit the most (us/SASS/?) to provide the guidance that'd help them when it doesn't exist.

A lot of people new to the sport don't reload (yet) but soon will. Those who reload already often don't have chronographs to work up SASS's minimum power loads. Most charts haven't ever offered cowboy calibers close to 600fps etc. Most mfg's suggest NOT going higher than their max AND NOT going below their minimum charges. There is a problem with the available safe loading data we have. There isn't much at all.

Archived