SASS Wire Forum

Easy way to clean SG with BP...

I know you can plug the barrels after yur done and spray window cleaner or what not in your barrels and wait a while and it all comes out real nicely,

This weekend I sprayed the chambers and barrels with Rem Oil between each stage, afterwards just put a patch down the barrels and whoppied, it was clean, and the rest of the action only needed a quick wiping too.

I shot Pyrodex RS which can be awfully nasty when it's rainy and such out....

pbcc

I ONLY use REAL BP, after I shoot I just run a baby wipe down the barrels. Clean as a whistle. I then pull a bore snake with Ballistol on it and I'm done. I spend less then 1 hr. cleaning 2 revolvers, rifle and shotgun. AND no leading on the cylinder faces of my revolvers. Black Powder may be messy , but it's sure easy to clean.

Note for 409 cleaner users.

Read the label.

Original 409 cleaner will etch glass and metal. It was made as an industrial solvent and degreaser. Make sure you use the glass safe line.

Also your window cleaners with ammonia will remove bluing and to a lesser degree so will vinegar. Clean with it and rise quickly. But soaking is not good.

I prefer mild dish soap or just plain hot water.

I think the point was that a shot of Rem Oil between stages makes it a no work cleanup. I use hot water at home and Murphy's mix on the road, but will try the Rem Oil with real BP next time out. If you saw the smile on Cheyenne's face you'd be a believer, too.

CR

Heeee Haaa Tkanks mr.Cowpecker.. does it help the shot hit the knockdowns.. and the static targets :P:P:P

Heeee Haaaa Crazy (speed shotgun static shotgun target CHAMPION) Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

I think the point was that a shot of Rem Oil between stages makes it a no work cleanup. I use hot water at home and Murphy's mix on the road, but will try the Rem Oil with real BP next time out. If you saw the smile on Cheyenne's face you'd be a believer, too.

CR

Yep, I also use hot water at home and Murphy's on the road. Another "no work" method is to shoot a little Ballistol (or Rem Oil etc..etc) down the pipes of all your firearms after the match is over. When you get home everything will clean up with a single pass of a Murphy's patch, or for the shotgun 1/2 a paper towel wad. So easy a caveman could do it :D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I use Ballistol and paper towels myself, but I am curious about the Murphys oil process y'all are talking about? How do you use and do you mix it with something?

I'm not sure last weekend was a good test with the weather conditions. The fouling in all my guns, including my 87, stayed soft and slimey all weekend. I just sprayed a little Ballistol/water mix in the shotgun at the end and pushed everything out with a wadded up paper towel without waiting. I've had the same gun develop a hard, dry concrete-like fouling and plastic wad buildup under other conditions on others days.

Heeee Haaa Tkanks mr.Cowpecker.. does it help the shot hit the knockdowns.. and the static targets :P:P:P

Heeee Haaaa Crazy (speed shotgun static shotgun target CHAMPION) Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

If you had actually "HIT" the static shotgun targets you would not be "speed shotgun static shotgun target CHAMPION", THAT WOULD HAVE

BEEN ME!!!!!

Seems like Purdy Boy's picked hisself up a new name.

:lol:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I use Ballistol and paper towels myself, but I am curious about the Murphys oil process y'all are talking about? How do you use and do you mix it with something?

Howdy Buckshot, Murphy's mix is 1/3 Murphy's Oil, 1/3 Alcohol, and 1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide. The oil soap cleans and leaves a lubricant behind in any nooks after the alcohol flash dries, the peroxide is about 97% water, so it's really soap and water. Driftwood Johnson can explain the advantage of using it better than I can, maybe he'll chime in. After cleaning the guns are sprayed, wiped and patched with Ballistol. It makes a good bug spray too :D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

The Murphy's mix as mentioned works good. HOT Mix works even better! The hydrogen peroxide fizzes the crud right the heck off the guns, including the shotgun. Heat melted that plastic onto the barrels and heat plus fizz will remove it. A nasty snake slime black thingy pushes out ahead of the paper towel, leaving a sparkle-clean barrel behind. Drop your cylinder into a little tub of hot Mix and watch it fizz and then you see the black crud bits floating in the fizz as they lift off the cylinder. The heat also helps with the drying off part after you wipe down the gun.

Lou (forever in debt to my pard Driftwood for all he taught me) Graham

Hi Lou, how are you? I haven't seen you in a long time.

P.S. The other great thing about Murphy's Mix is, if you have an old bore with thousands of tiny pits in it, you don't have to get the bore spotlessly clean. Fouling will tend to lurk in the bottom of the pits and will take forever to completely remove. If you coat it with oil, like the Murphy's Oil Soap after everything else has evaporated away, the oil will infuse itself into the remaining fouling. BP fouling that is infused with oil will not cause rust. It is like a sponge that has been saturated with water, you can't get it to absorb anymore water from the atmosphere. Oily BP fouling becomes harmless and will not rust steel.

I'm not sure last weekend was a good test with the weather conditions. The fouling in all my guns, including my 87, stayed soft and slimey all weekend. I just sprayed a little Ballistol/water mix in the shotgun at the end and pushed everything out with a wadded up paper towel without waiting. I've had the same gun develop a hard, dry concrete-like fouling and plastic wad buildup under other conditions on others days.

You have a good point - I used the sink sprayer to rinse my shotgun barrels prior to plugging and filling them with hot water,, all the fouling fell right out, Moist and not so hot is good for the genuine BP, probably the subs as well. Still gonna give this a try.

BTW - do you need a .45 Colt chamber reamer? :P

CR

BTW - do you need a .45 Colt chamber reamer? :P

CR

Thanks, but I'm going with black marker for the .45's and red for the .44-40's. :blush: I had been marking my Wild Bunch .45 Colts (power factor) with red, guess I'll need yet another color for them.

Archived