SASS Wire Forum

Tragic Loss of Life

Smoken D

19 years ago there were 14 firefighters from Oregon killed fighting a fire on Storm King Mountain west of Glenwood Springs in Colorado. There are now several memorial plaques up on that mountain telling the story of what happened that day and honoring those who lost their lives. The following poem is inscribed on one of those plaques, I think it can also be applied to those 19 brave people in Arizona:

Do not stand on this mountain and weep.

We are not here, we do not sleep.

We are the thousand winds that blow.

We are the diamond glint on the snow.

We are the sunlite on ripened grain.

We are the tempered Autumn Rain.

When you awaken in the morning hush,

We are the swift up-lifting rush

of the quiet birds in circled flight.

We are the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand on this mountain and weep.

We are not here, we do not sleep.

-Author unknown

It's hard not to weep at the tragic loss of so many selfless people who had more courage than I'll ever be able to come up with....

May they rest in peace and may their families find comfort in the thought that there's a very special place for heroes like this!

Just terrible. Those of us who have manned the firelines are both shocked and heartbroken at this loss. There but for the Grace of God... :(

It is very saddening to hear of such a tragic loss. They will certainly be in my thoughts and meditations.

The crew that was lost was one of two Hotshot crews from Prescott. My son is on the other. He left me a voice mail late last night to say he's ok. Fortunately I got that message this morning before looking at the news. Haven't had a chance to talk to him, but he said he'd check in a few days. Absolutely devastating....

Prayer and an offer of thanks to the One, and thanks is not enough for the families of these brave souls!!

Archived