SASS Wire Forum

Practice for CAS

Cowboy45

Does anyone out there practice with 22 rimfire guns? I,m thinking about getting me some Ubertis and going at it. What are your thoughts?

Flash

I have some Ruger Single Sixes that I sparingly use but the majority of my practice is with .38 special and .45 Cowboy Specials. I mostly been shooting my Ruger Sheriff Model .45's in main matches using the .45 Cowboy Special round and I practice with it somewhat.

Just my opinion though, but any trigger time is good trigger time, assuming proper handling is adhered to and no bad habits sneak in on ya.

Good luck on finding ample supplies of .22's right now.

Its just as scarce as reloading components.

..........Widder

I have yet to see any .22 when I go to the stores in the last six months. Non, nada

I have yet to see any .22 when I go to the stores in the last six months. Non, nada

Just go to "cheaper than dirt" they have 325 packs of CCI in stock....................$200.00 =:-0

When I do practice. I still use my main match guns.

Practice with what you plan on winning with.

I want to same feel as when I am shooting a match.

As Widder said. Any trigger time is good time.

With the price of .22 ammo right now. .22 might cost more.

Evil Roy videos did a good job of showing how to get the most value from the least number of shots fired. I would suggest getting the videos and then videotaping yourself in practice. Little issues like moving your feet while shooting, not keeping both hands busy during transitions and firing your last pistol shot while looking at the holster will be very evident.

I happen to have plenty of 22 ammo. Thought this might be a good excuse to get two of the Uberti 12 round hog legs built on the large frame. It sounds like they should be close to the same weight and the pointing should be close to my match 45 Colts.

The next hill to climb is finding the guns, might take awhile.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Flash

Howdy

Back when I used to practice for CAS, which was a long time ago, I had a routine I used to do. I loaded up two Vaqueros with 45s, and one Single Six with 22s. Then I placed them on the rail in front of me, with the 22 in the middle. I would grab one of the 45s, and unload it on a target. Then I grabbed the 22 and shot it. Finally, I grabbed the other 45 and emptied it. The point of the exercise was to see if I was flinching. Sometimes the first round out of the 22 would go way off to the left, and low. That told me I was flinching with the 45s, and the lighter recoiling 22 would demonstrate that fact.

But I have not practiced for CAS in years. It takes too much effort to load Black Powder rounds and I am not going to waste them on anything as silly as practicing.

When I do live fire I use the guns I take to matches. I figure its almost impossible to get any gun the exact same as an identical one. I have no proof that's just my take on it. Plus I want to be as familiar with my main match guns as possible.

All trigger time is good, but most of my formal CAS practice is transitions. When I do get to shoot, I shoot my main match guns. I usually have a plan as to what I intend to shoot before I show up at the range. Powder Creek is open for practice only a couple of late afternoons a month. Just horsing around is not an option.

Of course, I try to shoot some as often as possible. I have a really nice 22 pistol that is fun to shoot, but with the cost of 22 right now I mostly shoot something else. Since I couldn't make it to the Wild Bunch Match yesterday at Powder Creek, today I shot my 1911. I might do it again later in the week. When you roll your own, it doesn't cost all that much to shoot. I would go broke if I had to pay commercial rates.

Back in 2008-2009 Wolf Bane did a show talking about using 22 revolvers to practice CAS. Back then components were hard to find, but 22 was a little more available than today.

I guess the doomsday prepper crowd thinks the 22 lr is just the ticket when preparing for the end of the world as we know it. I am told they are hoarding 22 by the carload. I am more interested in doing what we can to not end the world, but different strokes for different folks.

If the end of the world does come, I think the ability to actually shoot my 1911 will be more important than hoarding 20,000 rounds of 22lr. The hoarders will be great targets for the shooters. They will be pinned to their hoards unable to move. Just kidding, sorta.

Again I am more interested in doing what we can to avoid ending the world.

I believe one can find (loose?) tons of time through dry fire practice. Costs nothing. Sure, the best practice comes from firing live rounds but one can shave off loads of time through efficient gun handling techniques and transitions without the use of a single live round. When you do get a chance to practice with live ammo, you can make better use of that time. Most of us do not have access to a CAS range or any range that allow shooters to hone CAS skills unless at a match.

There is plenty of great and free information on the internet as well. Longhunter has several great video's published on youtube and Doc Shapiro has also published some great info for all to use on his site.

http://www.jspublications.net/

Archived