SASS Wire Forum

Another newbie asks about which Lever Action Rifle

Sonoma Steve

You got that right Al.

Some of the speeds and proficiency in some of our rifles has alot to do with the operator and their experience (or lack thereof) in shooting that rifle.

There are some fine Champions out there shooting some good Marlins.

The biggest problem with Marlin right now is the recent reputation by Remington.

They are few on the shelfs and those of us who own them are not going to let loose of them.

..........Widder

+1

Kind of hate to even tell someone new about Marlins. Because of what Remington has done to them.

Hope they can get it figured out and get Marlins back to what they was.

Just for histories sake:

Up into the 1990's folks shot and won with either the Win 92 or the Marlin 94. Many World Championships were won by 92's. As noted in the posts, the 92 was popular into the 90's by the late 90's Marlin 94's became king. For example, the SASS Chronicle had a photo of the team rifle match in 1999 at EOT. With over 20 shooters in the photo, there were 2 or 3 Win 92,s one 73, one 66 and the rest were all Marlin 94's.

The Marlin 94 is generally faster than the model 92 and was very reliable. The 73's and 66's were not well known and some jammed. But we noticed how very smoother they were, so a few folks bought them - even though the length of the stroke was longer than the 94 and generally the 92's. That was about 2000 and 2001.

The gunsmiths noted that there was a lot of "slack" in the system and experimented in eliminating the slack so that the stroke would be as short as that of a Marlin 94. First was building up the elevator lever. Then they found they could also bend and even cut and weld the lever to shorten the stroke. Then they built new links that really did the trick.

At this time, folks realized that the standard Marlin had a "speed limit" that made it almost impossible to shoot as quickly as the 66 and 73. (If you shot with splits below .40, you would often through out a round.)

Then a fella in Illinois (Spur) found by making a custom elevator that the Marlin could have a stroke as short as the 73, be about as smooth and not have the speed limit. So the Marlin 94 could once again keep up with the 73's.

Then Widdowmaker Hill developed modification to the Marlin that others could do, if they were quite handy, that also made the Marlin 94 equally competitive.

I started out with a Henry cause I bought it before I knew what I was doing. I think I did OK with it till I found someone who wanted to buy it off me. I shot a 73 for a while till I went B Western and switched to Marlins. Henrys are half the cost of a worked up 73 but you can't do much with them Aftertmarket wise.

Loading is kinda goofy too as it's tube fed from the front. Reloads are fast too since you just toss one in the side and go.

As to "can you shoot fast with one" I would say yes! I shot the Oregon State match with a cowboy who was using one. He made the top 25 shooting Gunfighter!!! He did the same as me...Bought a rifle before shooting a match

Then a fella in Illinois (Spur) found by making a custom elevator that the Marlin could have a stroke as short as the 73, be about as smooth and not have the speed limit. So the Marlin 94 could once again keep up with the 73's.

Don't blink at the 46 second mark or you'll miss it.

Archived