SASS Wire Forum

Hot Corn Bread with Bacon and a Cup of Coffee

Subdeacon Joe

Honey on the corn bread!

Snausage patties in the microwave and fresh coffee. Breakie in 90 seconds!

Mornin' Gents!

Cornbread MIX??? What is this "cornbread mix?" Cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and water if you want basic-basic. For fancier, add some eggs and use buttermilk rather than water.

A Mix? Too much like work.

Cornbread MIX??? What is this "cornbread mix?" Cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and water if you want basic-basic. For fancier, add some eggs and use buttermilk rather than water.

A Mix? Too much like work.

Allie has to do the Gluten free thing.

Thanks for the clarification Bob!

This gluten-free thing has it's problems. The pastas (rice or corn or quinoa) are great. Gravy and sauces with cornstarch are fine. I've yet to find a decent bread. However, the Bob's GF Cornbread Mix is okay. Would you believe, I have to buy special (read more expensive) soy sauce to get it wheat free.

When we first found out Hubby is allergic to gluten, I tried a few recipes for bread. They all required numerous ingredients and I never found one that he liked. I agreed they were terrible. Tough and spoil rapidly, even in the fridge.

Joe, if you have a wheat free cornbread mix, can you please post it?

Regards,

Allie Mo

(points to his post above) There it is. If you want it finer, buy some corn flour, or teff flour (find an Ethiopian or Eritrean specialty store - teff is used to make their injera bread) at the store and add that in with the corn meal.

I've used corn flour, but not teff, in cornbread. Crumbles a bit more than cornbread with some wheat flour in it.

But, if you need measurements...hmmm...

Assuming you are using a 9 inch skillet to make it.

2 cups corn meal

1 cup of whatever flour

1 TBS baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

2 eggs, maybe 3

about 1 1/2 to 2 cups buttermilk (or clabber some milk with either cider or rice vinegar)

a few TBS of melted fat of some sort. (shortening, butter, bacon grease, olive oil in a pinch)

Heat oven to 425.

Mix your dry ingredients.

Set your skillet on the stove to melt your fat, you will want it just short of smoking.

Add the eggs and buttermilk to the dry ingredients, mix well. Add more liquid if needed. Pour in the melted fat and stir like hell. Pour batter into screaming hot skillet, shake to even it out, put in your 425 oven for about 35 min. or until golden brown and delicious.

ADDED:

Tried it once with chickpea flour....you might want to avoid that.

Archived