SASS Wire Forum

Dropped gun.

Irish Tom

At least it wasn't lying at someone else's feet.

That's true, I was pretty shaken up about it at the time and was so glad to take my MDQ. I will take that over anyone getting hurt anytime. I purchase a new and better holster for the Schofield. Now I am the butt of everones joke about it. I share this with new shooters when they are having a bad day at the range. :)

Happened to me last weekend at IL State match. I decided to shoot a split stage duelist instead of gunfighter and went to holster my first pistol after shooting the first part of the stage. I went to grab my shotgun and everyone was yelling. Hmmm that pistol on the ground sure looks like mine. I missed my holster. Yep, stage DQ.

I must be clumsier than the average bear.

I have the trifecta of dropped guns - At some point, I have managed to drop pistol, rifle and shotgun.

Pistols miss holsters and rifles slide off of hay bales and out of stands. And shotguns bounce off tables.

Of course - poor shotgun staging prior to the stage will get you too.

It's a strange feeling - waiting for the beep with your hands on your pistols watching your shotgun go rogue and hit the ground.

The TO shaking his head and stating "No Beep for you" - Go to the unloading table and clear your guns.

Fortunately - I have never dropped a loaded gun.

Creeker,

That is not a SDQ, unless it broke the 170.

The following is from page 19 of the ROI. "An open, empty long gun that slips and falls after being set down and does not break the 170 safety rule or sweep anyone will result in either a Prop Failure call or a 10-second Minor Safety Violation, depending upon the circumstance."

The rule doesn't specify when staging or after firing.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hey pard, it wasn't my intention to offend. Sorry that I apparently did so. It's never entered my mind that someone simply because they're from Kansas (or any other state) are "not all that smart" although I seem to recall that Rowdy Buckshot and Titus A. Gnatsass from Kansas...or at least nearby. If they're typical Kansans, Kansas is in a heap o' trouble. Tell 'em I said so. :)

You didn't offend, but the assumption we didn't know the rules at a state level match was amusing. On reflection it is clear I wasn't. ;) I will try to be more precise in the future.

Bart.

While we're on the subject of POP, I was there and had a great time. Thanks to you and all the rest of the Powder Creek Gang for a great match. I even managed to hang on to my guns. :D

Creeker,

That is not a SDQ, unless it broke the 170.

The following is from page 19 of the ROI. "An open, empty long gun that slips and falls after being set down and does not break the 170 safety rule or sweep anyone will result in either a Prop Failure call or a 10-second Minor Safety Violation, depending upon the circumstance."

The rule doesn't specify when staging or after firing.

Regards,

Allie Mo

As gamey as I was trying to be when I staged it - I wasn't going to argue. I deserved it.

I have a friend of mine that always questions my staging - offering their concern that my staging is right on the edge and risks penalty if something gets bumped, wiggled or the wind picks up.

I always respond that I understand I am taking a risk and when it happens - I will take the penalty and not whine (too much), but taking those risks are some of the only methods I have left to me to gain those little chunks of a second over somebody else. Any other gains might require practicing.

Of course - poor shotgun staging prior to the stage will get you too.

It's a strange feeling - waiting for the beep with your hands on your pistols watching your shotgun go rogue and hit the ground.

The TO shaking his head and stating "No Beep for you" - Go to the unloading table and clear your guns.

Creeker -- what kind of prop and how was it staged? I'm always interested in things like this to avoid issues in stage writing and prop design. If you place it on the prop, move to take your shooting position, get your hands in place and are now ready for the beep and then it falls.......a slow-mo slide to the dirt?

Creeker -- what kind of prop and how was it staged? I'm always interested in things like this to avoid issues in stage writing and prop design. If you place it on the prop, move to take your shooting position, get your hands in place and are now ready for the beep and then it falls.......a slow-mo slide to the dirt?

It was a split rail fence. Shotgun staged vertically anywhere along the fence. Instead of (like everyone else) placing the shotgun in the intersection where the cross rail and fence post meet - I attempted to stand the shotgun in the center of a cross rail span (it made more sense as to where the shotgun would be fired from) - I thought it was wedged in place pretty well, but it rolled and when it did, there was nothing to catch it and down it went.

My fault entirely.

If I had gone for the "safe" placement it would have never happened.

Bottlenecked is where they size the end of a 12 gauge shell down to a 20 to make it easier to hit the double, but has unknown effects on pressure. Ringing one is a old hunters trick where you cut around the plastic so that it stays around the shot when fired basically making it a slug.BT

Thanks BT, never seen that,lol....learn something new all the time here

Archived