SASS Wire Forum

Dropped gun.

Irish Tom

I have always been told, it can happen to anyone. Well, it happened to me today. Trying to re holster after first pistol. Something just didn't feel right. Looked down and there was my pistol lying at my feet. Embarrassing. !!!! :blush:

YUP.

I was at the loading table, and for some odd reason decided the leave my loaded pistols on the table rather than holster after being checked. Went to holster one and the barrel caught the edge of the table and it spun out of my hand.

I was at the loading table at POP a couple of weeks ago when a pard ahead of me tried to holster a pistol. Clunk. Things got real silent. Stage DQ. He did good overall but he didn't win the new convertible. Somebody once told me there are only two kinds of shooters in CAS. Those that have and those that someday will.

I have always been told, it can happen to anyone. Well, it happened to me today. Trying to re holster after first pistol. Something just didn't feel right. Looked down and there was my pistol lying at my feet. Embarrassing. !!!! :blush:

Try doing that at EOT after a 19.xx clean run when pistols was last and you had all the time needed to

re-holster because the stage over. :wacko:

Been 3 years and I am still not over it. :(

Try doing that at EOT after a 19.xx clean run when pistols was last and you had all the time needed to

Al, saw a nice lady at the CO State match do that on the last stage of the match after a good run, brushed up against the prop as she holstered and down went the pistol. Cost her the category and a whole lot of places in the overall.

I was at the loading table at POP a couple of weeks ago when a pard ahead of me tried to holster a pistol. Clunk. Things got real silent. Stage DQ. He did good overall but he didn't win the new convertible. Somebody once told me there are only two kinds of shooters in CAS. Those that have and those that someday will.

Logic says that was a loaded pistol. Someone didn't look at their pocket RO card.

I've seen a lot of "quick calls" made with what I call "a lot of confidence." In other words, when someone declares something with confidence that they are correct, many times others (who might know different if they took a moment to think) will fall in line thinking there is no reason to question. This is true whether it be at a SASS match or just general life. When I was a kid, more than one person told me that granddaddy-long-legs were very poisonous, but their mouths was so small they couldn't bite you. I remember exactly where I was when I had that "Hey, wait a minute!" moment. :)

At a two day match a few years ago and one stage started with the shooter sitting down... except no one remembered a chair. So... a short footstool was substituted. I sat my 6'4" frame down on that 12" stool (Aha! So THAT'S why it's called a "foot" stool!) with my knees up under my chin and both revolvers fell out on the dirt from my now inverted holsters.

My daughter started this game in '06 and she finally had it happen last month - shot her '92, went to re-stage it and move on to the shotgun, but the rifle somehow ended up skittering down the boardwalk like a horizontal pinwheel... good think it's a Rossi! :lol:

Yep, them that's done it and them that's gonna do it.

Bart,

If a fellow dropped a pistol while holstering at the loading table wouldn't that pistol be loaded?

Not necessarily. He could have dropped it taking out of his holster and placing on the loading table. it would have been unloaded at the time.

At a monthly match in April I dropped my right pistol after shooting it in a stage; trying to holster it while moving to where my rifle was staged. It had rained the night before and the pistol landed barrel down in the mud. I had to take it apart at the unloading table and run a rod and patch through it. I also had to remove the ejector rod screw and housing and clean it all off as well. Following that, 2 stages later, I received a trifecta all with my rifle....procedural, miss and minor safety. Fast Eddie and Silver City Rebel awarded me the "Fido's A$$" award at the end of that match. It is a least coveted award presented to the shooter that has a noteworthy train wreck or wrecks at a monthly match. I wore it proudly all during the GA State Match recently.

+1 on what Bart Solo said....same thing Silver City Rebel told me that day I won the award...."Only two kinds of shooters in SASS; those that have and those that will drop a gun."

Logic says that was a loaded pistol. Someone didn't look at their pocket RO card.

I've seen a lot of "quick calls" made with what I call "a lot of confidence." In other words, when someone declares something with confidence that they are correct, many times others (who might know different if they took a moment to think) will fall in line thinking there is no reason to question. This is true whether it be at a SASS match or just general life. When I was a kid, more than one person told me that granddaddy-long-legs were very poisonous, but their mouths was so small they couldn't bite you. I remember exactly where I was when I had that "Hey, wait a minute!" moment. :)

I don't know where you get your logic. I must have been imprecise, but I was at the loading table. The pard was shooting the stage. He was holstering his empty gun immediately after firing. We in Kansas might not be all that smart, but we generally know and follow the rules. Dropped loaded gun is a match DQ.

Bart....I think there is some misunderstanding. If you look at your original post you said it was at the loading table.....that is where the logic came from.

Since y'all brought up MDQ, what else constitutes a MDQ? I am a new shooter and when the scores come out I have seen a couple people get MDQ, but have not been in posse. Was curious so I can avoid such a thing. lol :blink:

My first outdoor stage (we shoot indoors in the winter, that's where I started). Stage scenario had us sit down on a chair prior to the beep. Buscadero rig + short chair = 1851 Navy in the dirt. Stages that call for sitting still terrify me. I'll take the extra time to unhook hammer thongs if a stage requires sitting. Also dropped a pistol while dry fire practicing recently. In hind sight I felt it miss the holster, but let go of it anyway. That one has been messing with my head ever since.

SS

Buckshot Dobbs -

MATCH DISQUALIFICATION

•Two accumulated Stage Disqualifications or Two Spirit of the Game assessments.

• Belligerent attitude / Unsportsman-like conduct.

• Shooting under the influence of alcohol, prescription, or other medication that may

impair the shooter’s physical or mental abilities.

• Shooting illegal ammunition. This includes ammunition that exceeds the maximum

velocity and shotgun shells that have been bottle-neck resized or ringed. This does not

include ammunition that does not meet the power factor.

• Dropping a loaded firearm.

• Any discharge that hits the ground or stage prop less than five feet from the shooter, any

discharge at the loading or unloading areas, or discharge that is deemed unsafe .

• Note: Exception

for declared expendable props.

• Sweeping anyone with a loaded firearm.

• Third offence, in the same match, for failure to adhere to the guidelines of the category in

whichthe shooter iscompeting.

• Interpersonal conflicts.

I don't know where you get your logic. I must have been imprecise, but I was at the loading table. The pard was shooting the stage. He was holstering his empty gun immediately after firing. We in Kansas might not be all that smart, but we generally know and follow the rules. Dropped loaded gun is a match DQ.

OK. It sounded like the person that dropped the gun was at the loading table.

So it sounded like it was a loaded gun that got dropped.

When Bart stated that he was at the loading table, the shooter that dropped the pistol while holstering it was actually the shooter (which, as Bart stated, was infront of him).

SDQ

Makes sense to me.

..........Widder

When Bart stated that he was at the loading table, the shooter that dropped the pistol while holstering it was actually the shooter (which, as Bart stated, was infront of him).

SDQ

Makes sense to me.

..........Widder

Ya. Makes sense now.

I thought he meant that the person was in front of him but still at the loading table.

Widder, yeah, but what was unclear was if that shooter was still at the loading table in front of him, or out on the stage.

No harm no foul, just a misunderstanding.

Bart....I think there is some misunderstanding. If you look at your original post you said it was at the loading table.....that is where the logic came from.

You are right. I should have been clearer. Damn the English language anyway. Try as I might I am never as clear as I want to be. :)

I don't know where you get your logic. I must have been imprecise, but I was at the loading table. The pard was shooting the stage. He holstering his empty gun immediately after firing. We in Kansas might not all that smart, but we generally know and follow the rules.

Hey pard, it wasn't my intention to offend. Sorry that I apparently did so. It's never entered my mind that someone simply because they're from Kansas (or any other state) are "not all that smart" although I seem to recall that Rowdy Buckshot and Titus A. Gnatsass from Kansas...or at least nearby. If they're typical Kansans, Kansas is in a heap o' trouble. Tell 'em I said so. :)

You are right. I should have been clearer. Damn the English language anyway. Try as I might I am never as clear as I want to be. :)

Throw Mama from the train, a kiss.

At a match where we had to shoot our revolvers through a window, shot and holstered the first one, bringing up the second one, clipped the edge of the window sill, down went the gun. MDQ.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I was at a match several weeks ago where you had to shoot through a window. The word had been passed that a shooter in another posse had clipped the window sill and dropped his loaded pistol. Since I shoot 7 1/2 inch Uberti's I was concentrating on not repeating the other shooters ooppss. I cleared the sill but totally butchered the stage (at least that's my excuse)

I must be clumsier than the average bear.

I have the trifecta of dropped guns - At some point, I have managed to drop pistol, rifle and shotgun.

Pistols miss holsters and rifles slide off of hay bales and out of stands. And shotguns bounce off tables.

Of course - poor shotgun staging prior to the stage will get you too.

It's a strange feeling - waiting for the beep with your hands on your pistols watching your shotgun go rogue and hit the ground.

The TO shaking his head and stating "No Beep for you" - Go to the unloading table and clear your guns.

Fortunately - I have never dropped a loaded gun.

Buckshot Dobbs -

RO 1 manual page 25

MATCH DISQUALIFICATION

•Two accumulated Stage Disqualifications or Two Spirit of the Game assessments.

• Belligerent attitude / Unsportsman-like conduct.

• Shooting under the influence of alcohol, prescription, or other medication that may

impair the shooter’s physical or mental abilities.

• Shooting illegal ammunition. This includes ammunition that exceeds the maximum

velocity and shotgun shells that have been bottle-neck resized or ringed. This does not

include ammunition that does not meet the power factor.

• Dropping a loaded firearm.

• Any discharge that hits the ground or stage prop less than five feet from the shooter, any

discharge at the loading or unloading areas, or discharge that is deemed unsafe .

• Note: Exception

for declared expendable props.

• Sweeping anyone with a loaded firearm.

• Third offence, in the same match, for failure to adhere to the guidelines of the category in

whichthe shooter iscompeting.

• Interpersonal conflicts.

What the heck is a bottlenecked resized or ringed shotgun shell?lol

Bottlenecked is where they size the end of a 12 gauge shell down to a 20 to make it easier to hit the double, but has unknown effects on pressure. Ringing one is a old hunters trick where you cut around the plastic so that it stays around the shot when fired basically making it a slug.

BT

Tom, I know exactly how you feel. The exact same thing happened to me last year at a West Plains Waddies match.

Look forward to shooting with you soon.

Saw a guy lose a clean match by missing his holster after firing the last shot of a clean match. CAC 2009 I think.

Since y'all brought up MDQ, what else constitutes a MDQ? I am a new shooter and when the scores come out I have seen a couple people get MDQ, but have not been in posse. Was curious so I can avoid such a thing. lol :blink:

Check out the RO I book and look at page 28 the pocket card gives a nice synopsis of various penalties

Tom, I know exactly how you feel. The exact same thing happened to me last year at a West Plains Waddies match.

Look forward to shooting with you soon.

Hey Cap. How you been? I plan on shooting at SMR on Saturday. Hope to see you guy's there. I'll try to hang onto my guns.

Not only did I drop my brand new loaded Schofield, I also kick it on the way down with my boot. So there it goes across the stage and into a nice sand trap on the forward side of the stage. Had to make the whole range cold so they could retrieve my Schofield. MDQ to boot!! :unsure::o:angry:

Archived