SASS Wire Forum

best cheap 22 magnum rifle

Trigger Mike

since ammo is hard to find I thought I'd buy a rifle that goes with the ammo I have on hand. I am thinking of a bolt 22 magnum.

1. what is the best brand for accuracy and reliability?

2. is a 22 magnum rifle worth buying?

I would recommend the CZ 455. It comes with interchangeable barrels in .22 Maglum , .17 HMR, and also .22 LR. They are not "cheap" but reasonable in price. You could buy one in .22 Mag, and shoot up all of your ammunition, then buy an additional barrel for what ever caliber you want.

If you shop around the internet, you might find one going below market price. Bud's usually has them.

I believe that eventually the price and availability of rim fire ammunition will return to some degree, but I doubt that we will see the same prices.

Either the manufactures will see that there is an ongoing market and add new tooling for production or those that hoard ammunitions will reach a point where they have a large inventory on hand that is not moving. Either way I look for prices to rise. Your can't reload Rim Fire.

With proper shot placement, I think yes. But it would not be a choice I would make.

You may want to check the hunting regs, they may have minimum calibers for deer.

I would not use it for deer. Not enough gun for clean kills. Maybe coyotes out to 100 yards.

For deer size animals I would not go less than .243 Winchester.

You can kill an animal with a .22 Mag. I believe that at one time, Urban Legend had it that a

kid in Alaska killed a brown bear with a .22LR by shooting it in the ear. I would not recommend that either.

My opinion is that a hunter has a moral obligation to make a clean kill and to cause as little suffering as possible. A .22 Mag might not do that.

will the 22 mag take out a deer if my son used it?

Not ethically.

While not a bolt gun, I have a Henry .22 Mag lever gun that was very reasonably priced, is very accurate, and has served me well for many years. Just food for thought.

I had thought of the lever action but was afraid it might jam. It was my first thought any way

They are reliable. Most lever action jams are ammo caused and operator (speed) error. And those are for center fire guns. I've never had a jam with any of the 22 leveractions I've had. Don't have one now but I'll probably pick one up in the near future.

I've had a Winchester 9422M since 1974. .22 Magnum is A #1 squirrel Gun. 4X scope and can knock the stuffin's out of anything within a hunret yards. I has never jammed and can shoot 10 shots in a Silver Dollar sized group @100 yds.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17387&stc=1&d=1208872733

Jake

Archived