SASS Wire Forum

Hey Badger Mtn Charlie...

Grizzly Dave

What kinda virtual machine you got for loading shotshells?

I like my Lee Load All 2 just fine, but if I'm not careful, I seem to be getting shells with a little deformation on them when I crank down to get the crimp I want. I'm sure it's just something I'm doing, but...

I will get a new cartridge machine before a new shotshell machine, but still fun to look and ask and whatnot.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an old (pre 1982) MEC 600 that I bought at auction for around $30.00.

I replaced a few worn out parts and it works just fine. MED sells replacement parts for it.

It took me a while to get it tweeked in, as you may recall. But once I did, it is slick as

a porcelain door knob. It ain't pretty but the shells are.

Right. Thought I remembered something to that effect.

I might should do some research and read the manual to see if there are any adjustments or suggestions to solve my problem. I suspect it might just be that I'm leaning on it too hard for the final crimp.

You have the Lee Load All? I know that the crimp adjustment on mine was the hardest part. But with a little help on the telephone from MEC and some luck, I got it dialed in. Crimps are 99.9% perfect.

Perhaps a call to Lee Precision is in order?

Yeah, probably so. I kind of remember that you can't adjust the crimp, but who knows, my rememberer ain't that good no more.

If I go light on the stroke for the crimp, it doesn't mark the hull, but the crimp isn't right. If I get a crimp I like most times it leaves a ring around the hull a little more than half way down.

I'll surf up the manual online tomorrow and have a look see. The printed manual is just too small for me to read well. Online I can crank it up to where I can read it.

Grizz

I also started with the Lee Load alls , still got a 20 , and a 16 ga . But I have went to MECs .

I noe have 6 MECs , 2, in 12 , 1 in 16 , 1 in 20 , 1 in 28 , and 1 in .410 .

Much easyer to use than the Lees , I do not have to mantain constant pressure on the crimp

ya just gotta pull several times to PLAY :lol:

CB

Grizz

I could be the WRONG guy , to ask for guideance on S/G reloading .

went to MECs to make it EASYER to stummble through the process :blink:

I had trouble with INCOSTANT crimps , with the Lee's

You might be able to make up some kind of HARD stop , to make it better

MAYBE , a block on each side of the handle , not relly sure on how to advise any better :huh:

CB

Since I don't know anything about Lee Loaders, I do know something about primers.

If you use them over, the cost of reloading goes wayyyyyyy down.

Well I am off to see the Optimagailsit.....Optomost.... er Eye doctor (Ophthalmologis).

See you later, (I hope)

I hope so too BMC, a feller kind gets used to being able to see. My eyes suck, but I can still see.

OK, looking at the owners manual and the FAQs on the Lee website I have learned a couple things that might help...

It appears that the final crimp applys a slight taper, and that may be the source of my issues.

Also, they suggest that a slight wrinkle can be caused by a wad that is too long, or not fully seated.

So, I reckon next time I load, I'll try and remember to make sure the wads are fully seated. And, measure how much of the hull is left visible after I drop the shot.

Grizz,

Proper seating of the wad is important. After the shot is dropped on top of the wad ya should be right at the bottom of the crimp with the shot. I use a Mec 600 to develop a load I like, then get the proper bushing for my Posness Warren and load away. A good crimp with a little taper is a wonderful thing.

Now I am confused...

I found a MEC 9000 on craiglist for $200 and a MEC Grabber for 150, each supposedly with 'extras'.

Now if I went for either, it would take money out of the Dillon 650 fund, but...

Grizz, you are talking to a man that believes that simple is better. Mine is the OLD MEC 600 with one handle, five stations and I rotate the hull from station to station. It WORKS when I do my part. I always know where I am in the loading process. No second guess. AND IS IS LESS EXPENSIVE THAN THE HIGHER END. Now if you want to load say, well, maybe 5000 rounds a week, I would figure it would be a lot of work for a working man. For a retiree, not so much, but still a lot.

For example, if you attend say three shoots a month, average. And say you use 50 shells a match. I have my press set up and I can load 150 shells (A month shooting) in less than an hour. Way less than an hour. Takes me way longer to load brass cartridges for the pistols and rifle.

Just my view on the matter.

ED: E bay has several used presses for less than $75.00. Even if they needed work, it would be a lot less than the auto presses. I would look at the MEC 600 new. Could find some bargains there. Another factor is that you can redrill the bushings to get the exact load you want with a little tinkering. Bushings are not all that much.

Yeah, kinda where I am too. Though I can't match your output, I get distracted and have to stop and stretch, or fiddle with some unrelated thing on my loading bench.

I figure a 6 stage match with take 120 cartridges, and about 30 shotshells, though lately it's taken me more with all the makeups I've had to do. So making the process of reloading the 38s faster would yield the most time savings.

I guess I just like to think about stuff even if I have a fairly good idear that I'll never do it.

Planning is the better part of an action.

I have to say, that I find reloading shotgun shells addictive. I load one then just one more..... and then another one and maybe a few more. First thing I know, I got a box. HAHAHA

The hardest part about reloading shotgun hulls is sorting out the good 'ens from the dead ones. I understand that BP is hard on the plastic hulls. I guess that is why so many use brass hulls.

A lot of folks might find priming one at a time bothersome, but I do not. Just another chance to fondle the components.

Gotta be careful about primers though. I understand that some are not the same as others. That is why I stick with WW, Rem or CCI.

I will say that since I mounted my press on a board that it is much more fun that bolting it down on the table. That way I can take it down and set it up with a minimum of adjustment. Just clamp it on the table and voila, I am good to go.

I have three screws and my load all is on my reloading table. The rock chucker and powder measure stay on there all the time.

I have 200 more cases ready for powder and lead, and then I'll put the load all back on the bench and do a few boxes. After I have enough to last me a while longer, I'll take it back off and go back to 38s. I already have 600 or so needing loaded, plus 1k of new brass that I am kinda saving for when I get a progressive.

I think on the next run of 38s I'll tinker with that case kicker idea for the rock chucker and see if I could make that work. I tried a little and never got it to work quite right, but it would sure help in not having to handle each case twice for each operation. Instead of waiting to grab the shell off the shell plate to throw it in the done bin, I could be reaching for another case while I pull the handle on the case in the machine. Of course speeding it up, just means my shoulders hurt quicker, but such is life.

Then you are doing it too fast. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

Just because you have 800 .38 brass cartridges, doesn't mean that you have to load them all at once.

If you load weekly you can do just enough to keep one match ahead. What is a match, say 110 round tops?

225 rounds is a lot less tiring than 800.

That old PLAN AHEAD thingy keeps rearing it's ugly head.

I wait til I have a batch collected, then take a session or two to run them all thru each die. And then hand prime them a couple hundred at a time watching TV.

After those 200 are done and the shot shells are done, I'm going to make a small run of say 10 cases and take POV video of the process. Might be helpful for someone just starting to reload.

I guess I must be shooting more lately as I seem to be running out faster than last year.

Yeah, that is a fact, this time last year I had only shot monthly matches, and this year I shot Winter range and the Co State match. Have my favorite club's annual next month, then it will be monthlys the rest of the year unless I figure out a way to make CaC or some other annual in the fall.

Dang, guys... now ya got me thinkin' I might wanna dig out my ol' Mec and fire it up. Hasn't been used in over 30 years. Think it's out in the garage someplace, prolly has a nice patina by now but should clean up, I s'pect.

Hm. Need to find a 16 ga loader for the Kid. Mebbe a Load-All...? :huh:

Dove season's comin'! :)

Uh... can you get a conversion kit for a Mec...? :huh:

Like I said, it's been a while since I've loaded shotshells - like over 30 years! :mellow:

Archived