SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cleaning

Judge Lewis

I shot my second match today, ten stages. I noticed after stage 5 that my SASS NVs were getting hard to load. I had a brush which I used to clean the cylinders which helped some. One pard told me to get a tornado brush to clean the cylinders.

How do you all clean you ss guns and what do you use? Thanks for any advice

Just a regular cleaning approach with my SS vaqueros. Bore solvent and a brass bristle brush and a nylon "toothbrush" gun brush.

You may have a REALLY tight barrel to cylinder gap if you could only shoot two matches. Check that you don't have cases or primers dragging on the recoil shield, and place a feeler gauge between cylinder and barrel. If closer than 0.002" in some spots, you have a very tight cylinder that is usually fixed by having a good smith very slightly take some metal off the barrel face.

Good luck, GJ

I only clean my SS New Vaqueros every few months shooting at least two matches a month, and have gone 6 months or more.

All smokeless powder is not created equally, some is dirtier than others, but even so, I wouldn't expect difficult loading after two matches unless there was something else going on.

What's Cleaning? It's Smokeless isn't it?

What was hard to load? Putting the cartridges in the chambers, or spinning the cylinder?

If spinning the cylinder, you probably have a really narrow barre/cylinder gap. Some Rugers come through with gaps on the order of only .001 or .002. That is really tight.

If you are having problems getting the ammo into the chambers, a tornado brush will help.

Also, if you are shooting really light loads you will get more fouling in the chambers which can make them dirtier.

By the way, the holes in the cylinder are called chambers. The round thing with the holes in it is the cylinder. Holes in your engine block are called cylinders, but holes in a revolver cylinder are chambers. Unless it is a S&W, they call them Charge Holes.

If you have STAINLESS steel Vaq's, you can take one part white Vinegar and one part Hydrogen Peroxide and pour it into a cup. Drop the cylinder into it and wait for five minutes. Then take a standard bore brush and clean it with Hoppe's No. 9. DON'T DO THIS ON BLUED GUNS.

The Vinegar and Peroxide will attack the lead deposits. Makes it much easier to de-lead the cylinder.

If you have STAINLESS steel Vaq's, you can take one part white Vinegar and one part Hydrogen Peroxide and pour it into a cup. Drop the cylinder into it and wait for five minutes. Then take a standard bore brush and clean it with Hoppe's No. 9. DON'T DO THIS ON BLUED GUNS.

The Vinegar and Peroxide will attack the lead deposits. Makes it much easier to de-lead the cylinder.

I'll have to try this, does it loosen up the carbon deposits also?

Still not clear, is the issue getting the brass into the cylinder or something else? If the issue is getting the rounds into the cylinder loading the gun, the cylinder is either dirty or the cylinder holes are undersized or the bullets are not properly sized. To clean the stainless cylinders in my Rugers, I chuck up a brass brush in a drill and spin it with Hoppes for a few seconds. I shoot 38 brass in 357s and I quit worrying about the small ring of crud at the end of the barrel end of the cylinder as it does not effect loading unless you decide to shoot a much longer OAL bullet. In that case a real cleaning is in order. My wife occasionally has an issue getting a round in her 32s, and every time it is a bit of crud stuck in one cylinder hole. I just remove the cylinder for her at the loading table and blow out the small piece of crud. Usually it comes out stuck onto the brass when I push the loaded round out with the base pin from the lead end. I happens to me when I shoot 32s also.

Judge, a possible cause is the cases have not been full length sized. If the are store bought loaded rounds, may want to consider a different brand.

Another option is to have the cylinders enlarged 0.005

Judge, a possible cause is the cases have not been full length sized. If the are store bought loaded rounds, may want to consider a different brand.

Another option is to have the cylinders enlarged 0.005

Do believe that would be the chambers enlarged.

Chas B.

Low pressure target loads are fairly dirty. A tornado brush chucked in a low speed cordless drill, then dipped in Hoppes or similar, and given a few seconds of work inside each chamber, making sure to run it in and out some, as well as spinning, followed by a dry swabbing, will get the powder residue, lead, and bullet lube out. AS DJ suggests, if the gap between the face of the cylinder and the back end of the barrel is scant, (less than the thickness of one sheet of ordinary printer paper), consult a smith about getting it opened up (ya wanna make sure it stays straight, square to the cylinder in the process) a little bit by slightly relieving the back end of the barrel. Around .005-.008" is OK for SASS use. Tighter, on the order of .003-.005" is kinda nice for high pressure hunting rounds, as it limits flame thrower effect out the gap. For our purposes a little more slop is OK.

Cool, never heard of that before but will give it a try!

And a bonus is they come out smelling like dyed easter eggs :D

Thank you all for the sage advice. I will order the tornado brush asap and try all the cleaning procedures until the problem is resolved.

Howdy Judge Lewis,

There is a cleaning kit called a Lewis Lead Remover.

I have one for 38/357/9mm and the attachments for .45.

A few passes with the lead remover will clear out months of buildup.

This often happens in .357s shot with .38sp.

Another option is to go to walmart or one of the dollar stores and buy the

cheeeepest white toothpaste they have.

Use a rod and bristle brush with a patch around the brush.

Then dab a little of the toothpaste on the patch and clean the chambers.

Rinse the cylinder and run a light oiled patch and it should be clean.

When Ive done this fired shells just about fall out of the gun without using the

ejector rod.

I never noticed that holes in a cylinder are called chambers but holes in an engine block

are called cylinders. ;)

Best

CR

JL - I'd put a drill in a vise with soft jaws and chuck up a 45 cal bore brush. Then put the drill on continuous slow speed, put some solvent in the chambers and have at it. Cheap and easy. And you do not have the lead build up that can occur when shooting 38's in 357 chambers.

I looked at Walmart today, while they have some hoppes stuff, no tornado brushes. Online they said they had featherlites in stock at the store I went to, yeah right. Ammo shelves were bare.

Low pressure, low velocity loads = increased crud in our revolvers and long guns. I was taught as a child to clean my guns every time after I shoot them, makes them last longer and I am much more familiar with them. I find it peaceful to clean and pet and love on them. Since I reload I have a max case checker and run each and every round through it. Takes a bit of time but I have confidence in my reloads. Take a can of CLP, soak every chamber in the cylinder as well as the barrel and let it sit while I enjoy a cup of coffee the next morning after a match. If the build-up is tough I chuck a nylon brush in a cordless drill and at a SLOW rpm clean each chamber until it is spotless. I hand brush out the barrel until it is spotless as well. Relube with Rem-oil or a good lightweight synthetic motor oil, a quart costs about the same as a little bitty bottle of gun oil. Clean guns = less trouble and I need all that I can get !!!

Archived