SASS Wire Forum

300 gn lead bullet in 45 Colt

Hollifer A. Dollar

I recently bought a 45/70 rifle, along with a bunch of accessories. One thing that I got was a box of 300 gn bullets - turns out they are sized .452 & are too small for 45/70. Searching through all my reloading handbooks, I find only one reference to a load using a 300 gn bullet (no note of lead or jacketed) - all the others listed are for 300 gn jacketed bullets.

I am tempted to put 25 to 28 gns of FFG in a case, seat the bullet & give it a try...but I am not that brave.

Does anyone have any experience with lead bullets that heavy in 45s? If I use them it will be in the rifle for long range.

Holler

Yeah, things to watch for are:

Don't get the overall length too long for your cylinder.

Don't seat so deep that you start bulging the cases at the level of the base of the bullet.

Corbon and a few other companies load some heavy slugs in .45 Colt and .45 Casull.

You won't care much for the recoil with that slug on top of a case of black powder. And they won't be lubed for BP, most likely.

I've tried a few heavy bullet loads in my Ruger Blackhawk. OK, but I've got no regular use for them. Boar or bear hunting, now that might get my interest going.

Good luck, GJ

Although I have some both in Jacketed and lead, I don't have any specific load data with me except to recommend you check out reloading manuals.

Heck, I've even got some gas checked 360 grainers in .452

One thing I would like to mention is that SOME of the load data you check, particularly with some of the heavy bullets, is firearm specific.

What might be safe to use in one type firearm might destroy another firearm.....and others.

..........Widder

Although I have some both in Jacketed and lead, I don't have any specific load data with me except to recommend you check out reloading manuals.

Heck, I've even got some gas checked 360 grainers in .452

One thing I would like to mention is that SOME of the load data you check, particularly with some of the heavy bullets, is firearm specific.

What might be safe to use in one type firearm might destroy another firearm.....and others.

..........Widder

Ditto. My OVMs will handle very stout loads. Not true with other revolvers even with BP.

Loaded 50 of them ONCE. Shot about 40 in the Marlin and the rest in the Ruger pistol.

Used Unigue loaded in the middle of the range specified in the Speer manual under the "Ruger Only" section for jacketed bullets.

Recoil wasn't bad, it was BRUTAL.

Was also a lot of fun.

Here is some load data. I shoot 300's in 44 in 1100-1200 range. Manageable in Bisley Ruger but at as higher pressure than would be in a 45.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

I've shot the LEE 300 (actually drops at 318) GC lead bullet, cast hard as woodpecker lips at OMG velocities out of Ruger Blackhawks, BIG Vaqueros, and Marlins. It is every bit as potent a load as a .45-70 BP load with light bullets. Powders to investigate include H110 in the strong guns listed. These loads are to be shot with two hands, gloves preferred, and they will turn your Cowboy Marlin into a "BIG BOY'S rifle" that will get your attention.

Out of a Blackhawk, one such test penetrated a maple bowling pin 2.5", AND drove the pin off the table, and 35 ft downrange.

Archived