SASS Wire Forum

.38/.357 reloading

Creek Johnson

Will you have adjustable sights or fixed sights? If fixed sights what weight bullet shoots point-of-aim? Consider starting with that weight. That said, 105 grain and 125 grain bullets are popular as is Clays powder. Reloading data online from Hogdgon.

I am one who prefers the orignal loading of a 158 grain bullet over a full case of black powder but I doubt that was the answer your were looking for.

IMO the most common mistake people make is going right down to the lower limits of the powder charts. You get use to the recoil and once your "timing" gets in tune with your ammo there is no need to shoot the real light stuff. The problems you inherit will out weight any gains you "think" you are getting with less recoil.

If you take a 357 mag and compare it to a 38 CAS load.....then sure there will be some difference in target acquisition time. But X.2 grains of XXX compared to X.9.....think about it.

I would hit the center of the charts and save the rest of the worrying for things that truly matter.

158 grain bullet with a full .38 case of FFFg APP, or

158 grain bullet in a .38 case with a mid-range load of Trail Boss from Hodgdon's tables.

All with a COL of 1.52", so they feed in my .38 Marlins, my .357 Marlins, and my '73.

Kind of like asking folks what kind of ice cream they like. Many different answers, none of them necessarily right or wrong.

I use 130 gr round nose flat point over a mid range charge of Win 231.

As I see it, the "right" answer to your question depends on your level of expectation.

If you’re seriously concerned with achieving the best accuracy possible from your guns as am I, you’ll let your guns tell you what combination/recipe they like. This requires experimentation with different bullet weights, powders and charges until you find the recipe which consistently gives you the best groups. Fortunately, my old model Ruger 3 screws and my ’73 like the same load.

Note: My definition of optimum accuracy is the ability to consistently put 3 rounds on the same spot from a supported firing position at prescribed CAS ranges for the gun being used (revolver or rifle).

If achieving the best possible accuracy your gun is capable of isn’t that big of a concern, then just pick a common bullet weight, an available popular powder and whatever charge you think might be a good one that falls within the safety limits prescribed by the powder manufacturer for your bullet weight and go for it.

Just my simple view of the shooting world…

I would start with a 125 grain truncated cone bullet (some might prefer 105 grain and others 158), a small pistol primer (I use Federal Magnum Small Pistol Primers when I can get them,) a piece of 38 brass (some might prefer 357) and aim for an OAL length of about 1.5 inches. I use 1.47 and my gun runs flawlessly, but based on what I have read here that is probably shorter than the optimal length in a 73. If you get much longer the bullets really look funny. I would then go to the Hodgdon website and look up the minimum load of trailboss (the powder I use when cowboy shooting.) I would start a little above the minimum listed there. I would experiment down until I got the best accuracy. Once I found a good light accurate load still above the published minimum, I would lock the process down. I have seen a lot of people drop below the minimum published load, sometimes way below, but I have never understood why anybody would feel the need to go below the published minimum. Too many uncontrollable things can happen down there. Most of the uncontrollable things are benign, but some of them are very serious. None of them are going make your gun any faster or more accurate. Some could hurt you or your gun.

We've used 125 grain round nose flat point bullets in both pistols and rifles since we started shooting 38s. (Sour Kraut has since transitioned to 105s for the smaller pistols she shoots now.) I use the mid range load of Trail Boss. Light enough recoil to easily control and have never had troubles with knock downs, even at Winter Range.

I have had great performance with 125 gr. truncated cone bullets with American Select. Can use the same powder for .357 and 12 ga. shotgun too. Makes component selection very easy.

Archived