SASS Wire Forum

Where is the "steam coming from the ears" emoticon?

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.hgtv.com/entertaining/classic-fourth-of-july-table-setting-ideas/pictures/page-4.html

Unconventional Table Linens

Drape a large American flag over
the table as a bright and festive table runner. Use a nylon flag so
spills can be easily wiped off and the flag can later be hung with pride
on a flag pole.

:angry:

What the [insert any and all expletives desired here]??? Are they completely [expletive] stupid???

I was "TAKEN" to a Linens and Things outlet, one fine summer day. They had beach towels set out for the sandy beach ball set and "I want to be seen and adored" set. One of them was a replica of an American Flag. :FlagAm:

I walked over to one of the clerks and informed her that I did not want my Country's Flag used as a seat for somebodys

butt, sitting on a beach. I got this deer in the head light stare and no comment. I asked to see the store manager but

"She was not available." So I sent a letter to the head office. I never did get a reply, but the next day the beach towels

were gone. Linens and Things was gone also, a few months later. I don't really miss them. As they said in Tombstone,

"WELL, BYE".

The Facebook campaign worked. HGTV folded.

HGTV Fans, regarding the recent article that appeared on our website...This was a regrettable use of our flag and it never should have happened. We sincerely apologize and have removed the post from our website. We want to assure our fans that HGTV is proud of the American flag and everything it symbolizes for our people.

Alas gentlemen, this is not our Daddys' America. The populace today is woefully ignorant of tradition and respect for the flag. Not necessarily their fault. Remember when they would play To the Colors in the morning in school and we'd all do the Pledge as kids? No more.

Rather than let my BP skyrocket (and it frequently is challenged) I always try to gently educate folks. After 10+ years of war, they remain ignorant of the most basic military things also, due to less than 1% of our citizenry being in the military.

Sigh.

Keep a tight rein, ladies and gents. This was what was up. I'm guessing HGTV got flooded with angry emails - I sent mine. Got a nice "We agree that our flag shouldn't be treated this way, never should have happened, sorry, sorry" email back.

flag-tablecloth_zps43e31cd7.jpg

Howdy,

Some time ago folks didn't want to make red, white and blue cell phone covers.

They said they looked too much like US flags.

Well 9-11-01 came and guess what, all sorts of flag style stuff came out

of all sorts of stores and I got my cell phone cover too.

There are US FLAGS and there is flag style decorations.

A flag is a flag but there are decorations that come real close to being flags.

Approach with caution.

Best

CR

Red white and blue themed products are fine. Even with stripes and stars....But when they have a flag shaped doormat, or napkins, you have to draw the line.

Red white and blue themed products are fine. Even with stripes and stars....But when they have a flag shaped doormat, or napkins, you have to draw the line.

Or using a flag as a table runner - and making sure it's nylon so you can wipe the stains off it and fly it with pride. WAY over the line. But, at least they pulled it quickly and offered an apology.

The ones that really steams me are athletes at the end of a race or competition draping the flag around their necks like a towel.

Folks... the anger is understandable..as the suggestion here was to us a FLAG...

While I am not an American I AM a patriot... (and a veteran FWIW)... BUT... there IS a difference between a FLAG and a "flag design"...

(BTW Personally I don;t think anything made of nylon IS actually a FLAG but that's an argument I am not going to win... I do however see a major difference between a FLAG.. and a an object with a flag design printed on it...)

I have no problem with shirts/towels/coolers/car mirror shrouds/whatever incorporating the design or image of a flag.. because that does not make those objects FLAGS... Many folks proudly buy such things with all the right intentions... and that can't be a bad thing.

Treat the actual FLAGS properly is all I ask...

Archived