SASS Wire Forum

Need help finding a word to describe a person....

I'm having a mental block here, trying to think of a word - either adjective or noun - that would describe a person who tries to make themselves look good by finding fault with others or their work.... and I mean something acceptable in a formal discussion, which of course rules out the ones that come immediately to mind. ;)

In this case the person seeks "credit" or recognition for finding and bringing to light mistakes, perceived shortcomings, or actions contrary to law or policy (even if unintentional or unavoidable) no matter how minor.

"Martinet" comes to mind, but there must be others...

I'm sure we have a few brains here less fuzzy than mine - Thanks! :)

[And yes, there is such a person whom I'm trying to endure]

Vilifying

A Social Dyslexic

Misanthropic

Antisocial

Disparaging

Captious

Niggling

Condemnatory

Belittling

Malicious

All The Above

tull

I can't post what comes to mind......my ex is being one those kind of people right now.

Trust me.....there's more to that story than any of you want to know!

PM sent .

"Supremist" comes as close as any word I can think of to describe someone with a Big ME Little You complex.

Good luck in dealing with that clod, they are blind to their own shortcomings.

Duffield

Wow.... I knew this was the place to ask. Thanks, all! ^_^

Here shortly I'll dig out my dictionary for a couple of 'em... :lol:

On a more serious note, there is a real person I'm dealing with to whom most, if not all of those would apply. That said, I may soon be joining the ranks of the gainfully unemployed. That'll mess up the gub'mints statistics! B)

Sounds like Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory.

Your person is a "Sheldon".

I just found The Big Bang Theory a couple of weeks back. One of my first thoughts was "I bet J-Bar likes this show".

Do you read the paragraphs at the end of each show?

Hardpan:

Your description is the definition of envy.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/intense-emotions-and-strong-feelings/201103/envy-the-emotion-kept-secret

Twenty years ago, I would have suggested that you suck it up, keep your head down, and wait for him/her to move on; they usually do.

Today, I'm not so patient, and value my own peace of mind more highly. I'd tell him/her off publicly, and walk out the door with my head high. Everyone else will be wishing they could do the same.

LL

Backstabber?

I've dealt with that personality before, it covers up a lack of professional knowledge. Best way to deal with it is stay as far away from that person as possible and to make sure you document everything to CYA.

And this type of person should never be trusted

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

self-aggrandizement?

condescending?

I don't think you mean "schadinfreude"... takin' pleasure in seein' the misery of others.

ts

How about Selfimpressed? Selfposessed? Maybe Snobbish Know-it-all?

Pompous Nincompoop and Popinjay are good! :lol:

Yeah, Loophole, I may end up doing that.

When the fella started here he delighted in telling stories about how at previous jobs he'd managed to get people fired by digging until he found something he could "work with." Not sure if he was telling us out of braggadocio or attempting to intimidate. I wanted to kick a co-worker's husband under the table at a luncheon once when hubby asked this guy to tell an "accounting tale" (he's a CPA). The "Popinjay" immediately set out to regale us with the story of the time he spent two whole days researching why there was a 2¢ balance remaining on a farmer's $100,000 line of credit. Duh.... seems the guy had used all but the 2¢...! I suspect he was attempting to impress us with his tenaciousness.... but coming from a banking background my unspoken thought was "what an idiot!"

Anyway, he's set his sights on me, but he's going to be a mite displeased with the outcome. I won't go down easily. <_<

I wanted to kick a co-worker's husband under the table at a luncheon once when hubby asked this guy to tell an "accounting tale" (he's a CPA). The "Popinjay" immediately set out to regale us with the story of the time he spent two whole days researching why there was a 2¢ balance remaining on a farmer's $100,000 line of credit. Duh.... seems the guy had used all but the 2¢...! I suspect he was attempting to impress us with his tenaciousness.... but coming from a banking background my unspoken thought was "what an idiot!"

Anyway, he's set his sights on me, but he's going to be a mite displeased with the outcome. I won't go down easily. <_<

I read that and my first thought was that he wasted a whole lot of somebody's money over two cents.

Good luck, don't go down without a fight, and maybe get some ammo of your own while you're at it.

UNWANTED

I see you making a "hostile work environment" claim against the company your working for. ;)

Pretty serious claim in PRK :excl:

LG

The thought has crossed my mind... but no idea how to proceed.

Democrat!

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Democrat!

+ ½

Give the man... Cayenne Coldpecker... a ceegar!

ts

Actually, he's a Republican. Reminds me of an old John Bircher. Sees life in black and white. Much more to the story....

Archived