SASS Wire Forum

Hey Backwater

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Badger!!

We gots quite a few ourselves. Schoolmarm has 'bout four feeders she stays busy filling and refilling! They're aggressive at times and fight with each other a lot! She also feeds all the other birds around here. :o

Hey y'all!! I found a great ice cream flavor at the store yesterday! :P Caramel Turtle Cheesecake!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMM!! :P

Grizz!! It's your colorful appearance that attracts the hummingbirds!! :lol:

Yeah, I reckon so, I do have a ruddy complexion so I reckon they figure anything red is good to swarm to.

That red thing is a possibility!

Y'all that feed 'em, please don't use that colored stuff!! It's bad for 'em! Straight sugar water is the only thing they should be getting. Several internet sites can give you the propper mixture and how to prepare it correctly.

Momma tolt me that the feed was empty but I didn't believe her. So at dark I went out and checked, Yep, them greedy

little devils drained the one feeder that I have. So tomorrow it is into town to buy some more.

Momma spent the afternoon sitting at the window watching them. I can't refuse that woman anything.

LOL

Momma tolt me that the feed was empty but I didn't believe her. So at dark I went out and checked, Yep, them greedy

little devils drained the one feeder that I have. So tomorrow it is into town to buy some more.

Momma spent the afternoon sitting at the window watching them. I can't refuse that woman anything.

LOL

Badger!

They are voratious eaters, but the view and activity they provide is very entertaining and they help with all sorts of pollination. We have probably two dozen here every year, sometimes more! Lots of sugar water.......... :lol:

When Momma found out that they eat spiders, she wants them to have ANYTHING THEY WANT.

I still don't know what species of hummingbird they are, but apparently they are a little different in

coloration even if they are the same species.

BMC!!

The males are more brightly colored and the Ruby Throated hummingbirds are green with a red band around their necks. The ladies are mostly just green. They are the most common around here.

There are several other breeds, all of which the males are more brightly colored. Schoolmarm says to pick up a Peterson's feild guide for your area to help identify which ones you have.

We have several other breeds here, but it takes a close look to tell which ones they are, and they don't stay put for very long. Several of them roost in an apple tree in our front yard for a few minutes at a time.

The field guide describes them as "Pugnacious". World wide there are 335 known species.

We have very few this year.

Some years we will have as many as 6 feeders out and fill them daily.

This year we have one out and fill it every week.

Blackwater, we on the right side of the country are restricted to the Ruby Throats.

Westerners get several different species.

I can not tell what species we have but apparently there are a couple different ones. I guess I am not

a very well trained Audubon student.

One that I saw this morning looked like the markings on the Ruby Throated, but the web says they stay in the Eastern part of the US.

But I think they might be Anna's Hummingbirds. Calypte anne

Schoolmarm knows all that stuff! I just enjoy watching the aerobatics and dogfighting tactics. With the abilities of a fighter and a helicopter combined, they are more than impressive!!

I'll try to scan the picture page from the guide and put it up here!

I'm not very good with the picture thing.

I hate hummingbirds, they must think I"m sweet cuz they always buzz my head and face.

^_^

Well Grizz, I understand that hummingbirds like fresh flowers.

=

=

=

=

=

=

=

I've been told the hummingbird's favorite is the "Blooming Idiot." ;):P^_^

My wife had one get stuck in her hair last year. We planted xinnias in the garden as space filler. Momma went out to weed the garden and WOW -stat away from those flowers!!!! They got all upitty on her. It's cool to watch them feed right next to us on the deck. We even had a nest right above the deck two years running. Pity the bird that got too close!

Hey Badger!!

Did you get ya's another feeder or two?

Naaa, I didn't get out yesterday. I filled the one I have but they didn't seem to show a lot of interest in it. Maybe they moved on.

I am wondering if that the fact that it was empty and they could not get any nectar from it, brought them back more often.

I suspect that they come to it when I am not looking. I put a little red float in the bottle so I can tell when it is getting low.

It is hard to see that clear liquid.

Maybe today.

It usually takes a little while for them to come back after they find a feeder empty. The float idea is great, but it may give them pause at first.

Well, it is hidden by the decorations on the bottle so they can't see it. I would guess it will drop slowly and they will become accustomed to it. Besides it it is flame red so it might attract them. Not very big either.

I have actually caught a couple of hummingbirds, CB. Had to throw 'em back!! They don't make enough to even be a morsel.

Actually did catch 'em. They were inside buildings and couldn't find their way out. The first one was almost in shock when I captured him with a towel. He circled for a minute before getting his bearings and flying off when I released him. The other one was a female and I caught her with my hands. She had tried to fly out of a closed window for ten minutes and finally perched on the sash.

I let her go after I fed her some sugar water and let her catch her breath. She seemed to appreciate the refreshment. :lol:

What size shot is best for gunning hummingbirds? I would think #12... :huh:

I find that a rifled slug works well! It eliminates the slightly greasy flavor of the meat. 'Course, it also eliminates the meat as well. Leaves only the feathers and feet!

Archived