SASS Wire Forum

EOT- WHERE TO STAY

Baddog Nobiscuit #46532

Okay, with sign-ups starting for EOT 2006 (on another thread), what hotel-motels does anyone recommend in Albe....Albiqu.....Albequr.......the closest big city? Any positives...negatives from last EOT? Thanks for responses. Baddog N. :FlagAm:

Having been to EOT this year, I'd suggest you check out the hotels/motels in Moriarty which is located about 10 miles or so east of Founders Ranch. I actually stayed in Albuquerque at a Howard Johnson on the east of town and right next to the freeway. Took around 30 mins to get to the ranch and as all rush hour traffic was headed in the opposite direction, there was no problem getting there or back. Believe there was also a few family style bed and breakfast places close by but these may get filled very quickly by those 'in the know'.

Wherever you pick, I'm sure you won't be disappointed either by quality, cost or distance.

Just my 02 worth

Big Tex

Like Big Tex says, try Moriarty first. Most every room in Moriarty will be booked by SASS-types and you'll enjoy being with them. Moriarty can't hold everyone, so many will stay in Albuquerque. Most will choose a motel off I-40 near the Tramway, Juan Tabo or Eubank exits. The Tramway exit is closest to Founder's Ranch and has a cluster of modest-priced traveler's motels. Any motel with a zipcode of 87123 will be plenty close. Generally, motels right on Central Ave. have more security problems due to transients.

Thanks for the quick responses people. Big Tex, a pleasure to have met you at JWSO. Hear you are coming back in 2006. Edward R.S. Canby, thanks I'll look into those areas. I want to stay in Albe......Albuk........Albeqe........the big city on purpose so the wife or daughter units have daytime stuff to do as they are not dedicated shooters.......YET. :FlagAm: Keep those responses coming. Thanks again. Baddog N.

Warning about Moriarty....you get tired of the limited number of places to eat by the time that it's time to leave.

Oh and the big Mexican restaurant there doesn't add tequila to it's margaritas. :FlagAm:

Howdy, Baddog -

I think you're making a wise choice... i.e. staying in Albuquerque. If you choose a motel on the east end of town, you have easy access onto I-40 and will be at Founders Ranch in well under half an hour.

The big plus, in my opinion (alluded to by yourself and others) is the greater choice of things to see and do, as well as places to eat, in Albuquerque. Founders Ranch sits pretty darn close to mid-way between Moriarty and the east end of Albuquerque, so I really don't think the commute time is much different.

I stayed at the Best Western on Central, between Juan Tabo and Tramway. The room was clean, comfortable, had a small refrigerator, and was priced reasonably. It came with a full, complimentary breakfast, although I can't comment on the quality of the breakfast because I never got up early enough to take advantage of it! If y'all are breakfast eaters, that perq could easily save you $15-20 a day.

Hope that helps!?!

Regards, TJH

Guest Cole Younger SASS#4237L-Regulato

I found several Great places to eat in Moriarty and the other little town. Plus, Holiday Inn Express serves dinner-free!!!!

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

The Holiday Inn Express did not show any room availability for those EOT dates.

Pack

I stayed at the Super 8...not the best but it was adequate and the drive to the ranch was not long. Albaquerque will have more rest-o-rants but I gotts ta say I didn't starve in Moriarty...heh-heh-heh :FlagAm:

Duke(who is all signed up and must now look fer accomodations ferhisownself)Chisum

Taverner, you're the wirst German cowboy ta sign up or the first German cowboy ta sign up? Either way, I'll buy ya a libation at EOT at the Wire party.

Tucson, I rememberize that also. Think they were from ole Californy an' I recall every time I tried to contact them, I got the run-around. Ya might wanna try rentin' one an' drivin it yourownself, thinkin' that's the way I'm goin'.

See Ya at EOT

Duke(who likes things silvery, like his hair)Chisum

Taverner, you're the wirst German cowboy ta sign up or the first German cowboy ta sign up? Either way, I'll buy ya a libation at EOT at the Wire party.

255429[/snapback]

Think that's wurst German cowboy, Duke.

Yer pard,

ECS

• 1 month later...

I am not sure about EOT 2006 but several of the restraunts and businesses in Edgewood and Morirty have been working with other events at the ranch and supporting it so you may want to think about supporting them in return. Yes it is limited selections but you don't have to deal with teh ABQ traffic as much and staying in Moriorty will cut your travel in half at a mininum. Me I will be stayting at the ranch. If you need more infomation about places to stay contact one of the local clubs in edgewood and Albuquerque for the ins and outs. It is perty rural out there but you got a few truck stops and local eateries in Miority and most that stay at the ranch if they go in to town to eat usually hit the Mexican in Moritorty now steak you may have to go into town for a good one but depending on how many days you need to eat out you might on ly have to make it once or twice during the stay especially if you can grab something to eat at the event before leavcing because usually there was something to eat at the ranch about every main nitgh and even the sidemathches nights. The last night they start breaking down after breakfast but usually have something for lunch and they will start serving when the shooting starts. So I exspect if you hang around the ranch for the after hours events that you will be able to find something at a fair price. My proble will be water for the RV. If Igo in with a full tank and keep the dishes to a mininum and wash offever day and a shower every other night I might make it will only a couple refills of water. I deed to start making a checklist for EOT for what I will need. I think I should be able to make it with 4 cans of full for the Generator to recharge the batteries, since I sleep with a CPAP for medical readsons, and maybe a fan. It depend on the weather. Last year we didn't fire up the A/C because we didn't havce the gereator. Might need to work on the suprresion system for it to lower the sound level a bit. With out the AC it will get around 6-8 hour of runtime per dtank. With the A;/C it get 3-4 hours. Have to setup a move theater for movies everynight. got everftything except the projector I got the dc dvd player and I got the movies and always picking up more. I will be needing a new binder to put them in. I will have a grill setup (small gas Hibatchi) Look fo me I be the big sprinter with a dog fence setup fo my little buddy. Who knows the cat may even want to make the trip also.I ave three beds in the camper I got my Queen size master bed, andthen a dinete bed and a sofa bed. So if you going alone we may be able to work out an arangement depending on if a couple of others pass onthe beds.

• 4 months later...

The little town of Cedar Crest, just west of Founders and North of the highway, has a few things to offer --- including The Turquiose Trail Campground and RV Park. Has a few places to eat, hardware store and such like. Can't remember seeing Motels though -- just can't remember.

No hotels in Cedar Crest,but some decent restaurants,if you've never had a buffalo burger then stop at the Burger Boy.

In Edgewood we have Chili Hills if you want good New Mexican,the East Mountain Grill for good all-around food,there's a Subway & an OK Chinese place,the Dairy Queen I can't really recommend & unless you just have to have it,stay away from the McDonalds.Home Run Pizza is pretty decent & I'm pretty sure they'll deliver to the Ranch.

I know of a small RV park in Moriarty,it's currently for sale,so the owners ain't advertising it,but they're accepting campers,I'll get the info & post it.

Archived