SASS Wire Forum

Pure Americana

Subdeacon Joe

Some of these bring me to tears.

The good times seem to be gone.

Thanks for posting these, Joe.

I agree, EE. Some will say he painted an America that never really existed, but its just because they didn't have the eyes to see it.

Bama....you hit the nail right on the head!

Just ask anyone that's my age.........they ain't even heard of him.

His work reminds me of my granddad's shop in Mt. P Iowa.

EE Taft and sons plumbing and heating.

To look at some of the painting of a working man studying his work........just like looking at my granddad.

The girl with the black eye is Kathy "Rusty" Sergeant. She was my first real girlfriend when I started high school in 1957. Rusty could out-run, out-climb, out-fight, and out-play, and out-maneuver any boy in school...including me.

I wonder what became of her. :huh:

The Crocker Art Gallery here in Sacramento recently had a major Rockwell Exhibit. Have to admit that it was near standing room only, but the folks came in every shape, size and age. It was pretty spectacular watching grandparents and great grandparents teaching the young about Mr. Rockwell.

There were a number of unfinished paintings on display that were incredible. He did one of a bunch of men leaning into the radio listening to the news, with the an abandoned newspaper and cigarette in the foreground at the bar. Headline read "Invasion of Europe!"...and the date was blank. The magazine didn't buy that one. I don't know what it ran instead, but the painting brought my mother to tears. You see, Dad was part of D-Day.

I remember how in the '70's and '80's, the self-appointed historical revisionists and wannabe debunkers of American history and tradition vehemently argued that Norman Rockwell's depiction of America and Americans was largely a myth. I don't know where such idiots grew up or in what sort of environments, but as a kid growing up in a small town in the rural South in the 1950's, his illustrations were plenty real to me because they reminded me of my family, friends and neighbors, all of them REAL PEOPLE.

I saw one in this bunch lastnight that brought me to tears.

Four Freedoms.

The Freedom of Fear.

Mom and dad tucking the kids in while dad holds a newspapers reading of Bombings and horror.

Had me a bit damp eyed. Having kids through all the happenings of the past 13 years.......still choke up thinking about it.

Many of those who have denied the truth in Rockwell's paintings are the same ones who eschew the past as it really was and change the stories to fit their purpose! They are the same ones who denigrate our wonderful, if sometimes tragic past, and say that we were never great nor will we ever be!!

I'm sorry that they can't now, and never have, seen what a great people we have been and, God willing, will be again!!

Archived